Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49186 times)

romson19

RIP Nate Dogg
RIP Nipsey Hussle
RIP Bad Azz

doggfather

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #781 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
Straight Outta Compton is the ''video''

;D ;D
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #782 on: November 07, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
those old NWA albums had no singles released but they did at least have videos...I cant remember the last hip hop album to have neither and go gold

UGK - Ridin Dirty... UGK was such a grassroots movement they didn't need videos and singles and they were getting fucked by both Jive and their legal representation at the time, but their music was so relevant and dope that just by word of mouth and their rep they went gold in like no time.

interesting...did Kanye's last album have any? I cant really remember

« Reply #783 on: November 07, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
those old NWA albums had no singles released but they did at least have videos...I cant remember the last hip hop album to have neither and go gold

UGK - Ridin Dirty... UGK was such a grassroots movement they didn't need videos and singles and they were getting fucked by both Jive and their legal representation at the time, but their music was so relevant and dope that just by word of mouth and their rep they went gold in like no time.

Damn made me think of ridin dirty the song and want to listen to the whole album. Havent in a minute.

Okka

« Reply #784 on: December 16, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »
I read about the album in a weekly newspaper in prison. There was this little article that said "Producer Dr. Dre will be releasing a new album after 16 years". At first i thought it must be April Fools Day or somethin' like that. I had to i call my friend and told him to check out Wikipedia to see if this was true. I guess Infinite was right after all, i remember that he said Dre would come out with new music when the N.W.A. movie drops. I had very high exceptations for this album (Who didn't?) and i have to say that at first i was really disapointed. I just thought Dre would come up with a new sound like he always has done with his albums, but he didn't and his flow is what it is. I kept playin' the album a few times and it grew on me. It's a good album and i like it, but it's nowhere near as good as "The Chronic" or "2001". I wouldn't be suprised if Kendrick came up with the concept for the album. I know King Mez is credited in the booklet for almost every song, but Dre sounds like Kendrick in some songs IMO, so i wouldn't be suprised if he ghostwrote some verses too. There's a lot of things i could complain about, it's such a big thing that Dre finally came out with a new album after all these years, but i enjoy the album for what it is.  It's a shame that there's only one song with Dre and Snoop and Kurupt's not on the album at all. It's great to see Ice Cube finally on a Dr. Dre album, "Issues" is dope. I hope Dre is workin' on Cube's new album. I'm happy that Dre and DJ Premier finally did a collabo. I've been waitin' for that for years. "Animals" is one of my favorites on the album. I wish Dre had a second verse on it though. I'm suprised to see Cold187Um on the album. He was beefin' with Dre not too long ago. What happened with that lawsuit? "Deep Water" is great, i loved the song the first time i heard it. Definitely the best song on the album. Snoop's verse on "One Shot One Kill" is crazy. Who wrote that? Snoop isn't credited on the booklet, but for some reason he is credited on the Wikipedia page of "Compton". What's up with that? Did Dre put out any music videos for the album? Is there any leftovers from the album? Did The D.O.C. have anything to do with the album? I don't see his name in the booklet. It's hard to believe Dre would release a new album without his involvement.

Here's a list of the songs i like:

"Talk About It"
"It's All On Me"
"All In A Day's Work"
"Loose Cannons"
"Issues"
"Deep Water"
"One Shot One Kill"
"For The Love Of Money"
"Animals"
"Medicine Man"
"Talking To My Diary"

Sccit

« Reply #785 on: December 16, 2015, 07:36:36 AM »
I read about the album in a weekly newspaper in prison. There was this little article that said "Producer Dr. Dre will be releasing a new album after 16 years". At first i thought it must be April Fools Day or somethin' like that. I had to i call my friend and told him to check out Wikipedia to see if this was true. I guess Infinite was right after all, i remember that he said Dre would come out with new music when the N.W.A. movie drops. I had very high exceptations for this album (Who didn't?) and i have to say that at first i was really disapointed. I just thought Dre would come up with a new sound like he always has done with his albums, but he didn't and his flow is what it is. I kept playin' the album a few times and it grew on me. It's a good album and i like it, but it's nowhere near as good as "The Chronic" or "2001". I wouldn't be suprised if Kendrick came up with the concept for the album. I know King Mez is credited in the booklet for almost every song, but Dre sounds like Kendrick in some songs IMO, so i wouldn't be suprised if he ghostwrote some verses too. There's a lot of things i could complain about, it's such a big thing that Dre finally came out with a new album after all these years, but i enjoy the album for what it is.  It's a shame that there's only one song with Dre and Snoop and Kurupt's not on the album at all. It's great to see Ice Cube finally on a Dr. Dre album, "Issues" is dope. I hope Dre is workin' on Cube's new album. I'm happy that Dre and DJ Premier finally did a collabo. I've been waitin' for that for years. "Animals" is one of my favorites on the album. I wish Dre had a second verse on it though. I'm suprised to see Cold187Um on the album. He was beefin' with Dre not too long ago. What happened with that lawsuit? "Deep Water" is great, i loved the song the first time i heard it. Definitely the best song on the album. Snoop's verse on "One Shot One Kill" is crazy. Who wrote that? Snoop isn't credited on the booklet, but for some reason he is credited on the Wikipedia page of "Compton". What's up with that? Did Dre put out any music videos for the album? Is there any leftovers from the album? Did The D.O.C. have anything to do with the album? I don't see his name in the booklet. It's hard to believe Dre would release a new album without his involvement.

Here's a list of the songs i like:

"Talk About It"
"It's All On Me"
"All In A Day's Work"
"Loose Cannons"
"Issues"
"Deep Water"
"One Shot One Kill"
"For The Love Of Money"
"Animals"
"Medicine Man"
"Talking To My Diary"

dre released it outa nowhere, no singles, no videos, just announced it about a week or so before it came out...shit was wild on this site for a min when it dropped. i duno if u bumped it in a proper system yet, but it's sonically the best rap album to come out maybe ever.....went gold off the strength of dre's name, no promo whatsoever. and yea, there was some leftovers for sure, search the last few pages, dre has a radio show called the pharmacy now, and he played a couple of the leftovers on there.

Hittman2001

« Reply #786 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
Figured i'd put my two cents in regarding this album...

So, I registered on this forum around the beginning of 2002.  I had been lurking a lot prior to that, EJ Rizo and myself had a audiogalaxy page set up for westcoast music...particularly Aftermath and Doggystyle related music.  Good times then, a time when good music was being put out.

Anyway, fast forward to today.  I am 32 now, have a family, good paying job and my tastes in music have changed.  I really stopped paying attention to hip hop almost around the time The Big Bang dropped.  I have and always will be Dre first when it comes to music.  Relapse was one of the best produced albums ever, I dont care if you dont agree with me on that.  Some of the hardest beats made were on that album. 

However, since then, really nothing from Dre.  A few tracks here and there on others albums and a few leaked Detox tracks.  Most of those those leaked detox tracks were shit, minus Popped Off, Topless, and a few others i forgot the names of. 

Dre then decides to drop this album Compton literally out of nowhere.  Many say Kendrick's album is better than this, but i cannot stand how he changed his voice and delivery since Good Kid Maad City.  Compton sounds completely fluid from the opening all the way to the closing.  Regardless of what the credits say, Dre was the producer and mixer of the whole album and you can hear it.  I find it hard to believe he was not a part of the building of each track.

Now, Dre put out a solid album, that being said, he played it safe with this release.  I'm sure he has banger's that were made and maybe shittier songs too.  He probably attempted to do what Quincy and Michael did with Thriller (or Off the Wall...whichever) and take off the strongest and weakest made tracks to make a solid album.  That brings me to the next point, there are tracks that I dont like and there are some that I do.  All in all, Dre put out an album with energy, and you can hear it in his voice.  He hasn't done that in the past, he's just rapped and thats about it.  The beats on this album completely caught me off guard, i was expecting something different.  But the more i listened to the album, I understood Dre was making a more mature album than what he had previously done.  And me being where I am at in my life, i can fully appreciate what he did for himself and for us as fans who have grown with him.

Intro - Set up the album, towards the end i thought it was going lead into this beat ....it aint the lights...haha

Talk About It - I absolutely hated this when i first heard it, but it grew on me the more i listened to it 3/5

Genocide - One of them experimental Dre sounding tracks...ala The Setup, Eve's Satisfaction, etc...  I liked the change up towards the end 4/5

It's All On Me - Probably my favorite on the album, smooth track....and the night came in when that nigga Knight came in.....wooo 5/5

All In a Day's Work - This goes hand in hand with the previous track, loved the chain gang break in the song, any one else notice the same digging sound from Legend of the Fall Offs? 5/5

Darkside/Gone - Loved Gone more so than Darkside, it was vintage dre.  Darkside 3/5  Gone 5/5

Loose Cannon - Like the beat change ups throughout, hearing Xzibit and Cold 187um was nice.  The skit at the end was cool the first couple of times, but i wish i could remove it now 4/5

Issues - To me, its like the first track, it had to grow on me, maybe its the beat...i don't know.  Don't feel it fit Cube's style 3/5

Deep Water - The simulated drowning was something different, it felt like you were underwater listening to this track, the trumpet at the end was the icing on the cake.  5/5

One Shot One Kill - It was nice to hear Snoop hungry like this, sounded like the lyrics were written for Dre.  Like the rock sounding beat, it pays homage to Dre's earlier days 4/5

Just Another Day - Like the 808s on this one, Game was outshined by Asia Bryant in my opinion 4/5

For The Love of Money - Another one that had to grown on me, the bassline is cool and all, but maybe its because i wasn't a fan of the original version either 3/5

Satisfaction - Could've been single material, Snoop's part is my favorite...notice how the bassline is more predominate during his part paying homage to the Doggystyle days 4/5

Animals - Beautiful track by those involved (Dre, Premo, Anderson Paak) 5/5

Medicine Man - The only track with Eminem and based off his recent work i was a little worried.  But the buildup to the second beat in the song was phenomenal and Em delivered for the most part 4/5

Talking to My Diary - Ah yes, the finale, and a Detox beat from five years ago.  Even though it sounded better on the commercial, this is the hardest beat on the album.  At first i thought it was too short with the lyrics.  But the trumpet send off at the end is perfect, almost like the credits were rolling after a movie 5/5

So, that how i feel about this album.  Again, solid piece of work, but i was expecting something different.  I can appreciate what he did with this album.  But, now there is talk of other music that was put on hold for this.  Which is cool and all, hopefully it wont take more than a year or two to release it.  Maybe it will be Detox(or Take the Cure....whatever the title change to)  All i know is after he released this album, i am fiending for some really hard beats.

Sccit

« Reply #787 on: December 18, 2015, 09:32:27 AM »
^nice review, what's good hittman? U still fux wit ejrizo?

Hittman2001

« Reply #788 on: December 18, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »
havent talked to him in a very long time.  around the time kush came out...and that was it

Okka

« Reply #789 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:36 AM »
Can somebody upload the leftovers from "Compton" for me?

Sccit

« Reply #790 on: December 20, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
Can somebody upload the leftovers from "Compton" for me?

peep the forum, it cant be past page 3 or 4

HighEyeCue

« Reply #791 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:41 AM »
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/6806114/best-hip-hop-albums-2015

I know its Billboard but Dre should have been at least top 3 :grumpy:

Sccit

« Reply #792 on: December 30, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/6806114/best-hip-hop-albums-2015

It's the lack of promo bruh .. First Rolling Stones and now Billboard. The album didn't get the proper build-up and marketing. Coulda been huge, but seems as if it was done 100% for the music.

CORREA

« Reply #793 on: December 30, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »

It's the lack of promo bruh .. First Rolling Stones and now Billboard. The album didn't get the proper build-up and marketing. Coulda been huge, but seems as if it was done 100% for the music.

im so sick of seeing rappers using excuses about promotion today there are so many pipelines to promote yourself social media ect how ya think tde did it in mid 2000s tours and you tube videos dre had the ultimate promotion a fucking movie if this was the 90s and early 00s then that's different bottom line dre doesn't connect  with the youth today and is 20+ years past his prime as a artist and if it wasnt for em and kendrick and the fact this came from a movie the sales would of been a whole lot less 40 to 50 k if that

Sccit

« Reply #794 on: December 30, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »

im so sick of seeing rappers using excuses about promotion today there are so many pipelines to promote yourself social media ect how ya think tde did it in mid 2000s tours and you tube videos dre had the ultimate promotion a fucking movie if this was the 90s and early 00s then that's different bottom line dre doesn't connect  with the youth today and is 20+ years past his prime as a artist and if it wasnt for em and kendrick and the fact this came from a movie the sales would of been a whole lot less 40 to 50 k if that

Witout a single to resonate wit the people, all that other noise is meaningless .. If a song like "talk about it" was put out as a proper single, then you have something that can resonate wit the youth.,there was a lot of potential singles and club bangers on there, they just never tried to put it out there like that.,