Poll

Who You Got?

BATTLECAT
18 (66.7%)
WARREN G
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: BATTLECAT vs. WARREN G  (Read 1374 times)

Sccit

BATTLECAT vs. WARREN G
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:39:32 AM »
40 BC Powda joints vs. 40 G-Dub joints....

BATTLECAT:

1.KURUPT - WE CAN FREAK IT

2.XZIBIT - GET YO WALK ON

3.DOMINO - GHETTO JAM

4.SNOOP DOGG - ONE BLOOD ONE CUZZ

5.XZIBIT - BEEN A LONG TIME

6.213 - MLK

7.BAD AZZ - HOW WE GET DOWN

8.BLOODS & CRIPS - STEADY DIPPIN

9.BOO YA TRIBE - BANG ON

10.MR. SHORT KHOP - DOLLAZ DRANK N DANK

11.TYRESE - BABY BOY

12.YO YO - BONNIE & CLYDE 2

13.WC - JUST CLOWNIN

14.EASTSIDAZ - I LUV IT

15.BRIAN MCKNIGHT - DONT KNOW WHERE TO START

16.SNOOP DOGG - BIG MOUTH

17.CHICO N COOLWADDA - HIGH COME DOWN

18.DOGGYS ANGELS - BABY IF YOU READY

19.E-40 - NAH NAH

20.BELL BIV DEVOE - DONT GO

21.FAITH EVANS - FAITHFULLY

22.FROST - EVERYBODY KNOWS

23.HITTMAN - FRONT PAGE

24.ICE CUBE - 24 MO HOURS

25.JAYO FELONY - WHAT YA NEED

26.KENNY LATTIMORE - COME TO ME

27.KING T - SQUEEZE YA BALLS

28.SNOOP DOGG - STACY ADAMS

29.LIGHTER SHADE OF BROWN - PAQUITO SOUL

30.DRU DOWN - PLAYA 4 REAL

31.TOM JONES - I DONT THINK SO

32.NATE DOGG - CONCRETE STREETS

33.RAS KASS - MARINATIN

34.PENTHOUSE PLAYAZ CLIQUE - JUST TO KEEP YO ATTENTION

35.RL - DO YOU WANNA ROLL

36.SPICE 1 - BUSTAS CANT C ME

37.TASH - GZ IZ GZ

38.EASTSIDAZ - G’D UP

39.XZIBIT - LOUD & CLEAR

40.DOGG POUND - CALI IZ ACTIVE

vs.

WARREN G:

1.WARREN G - REGULATE

2.NATE DOGG - NOBODY DOES IT BETTER

3.213 - GROUPIE LUV REMIX

4.MISTA GRIMM - INDO SMOKE

5.WARREN G - YOUNG LOCS SLOW
DOWN

6.TWINZ - ROUND N ROUND

7.DOVE SHACK - THIS IS THE SHACK

8.YOUNG JEEZY - LEAVE YOU ALONE

9.2PAC - HOW LONG WILL THEY MOURN ME

10.CEDRIC CEBALLOS - FLOW ON

11.WARREN G - I NEED A LIGHT

12.MC BREED - GOTTA GET MINE

13.SLICK RICK - BEHIND BARS REMIX

14.WARREN G - GHETTO VILLAGE

15.DA 5 FOOTAZ - WALK AWAY

16.WARREN G - GET U DOWN

17.TWINZ - JOURNEY WIT ME

18.SHAQ - MY DEAR

19.WARREN G - I WANT IT ALL

20.WARREN G - YO SASSY WAYS

21.KAM - KEEP THE PEACE

22.SNOOP DOGG & WHIZ KHALIFA - I GET LIFTED

23.WARREN G - ANNIE MAY

24.KURUPT - THATS GANGSTA

25.MAC DRE - FAST MONEY

26.WARREN G - GAME DONT WAIT

27.EASTSIDAZ - BIG BANG THEORY

28.TQ - ONE DAY

29.WARREN G - SMOKIN ME OUT

30.SNOOP DOGG - AFTER DARK

31.WARREN G - DO YOU SEE

32.2PAC - DEFINITION OF A THUG NIGGA

33.ICE CUBE - RACE CARD

34.GUCCI MANE - CRUSH ON YOU

35.WARREN G - PARTY WE WILL THROW

36.STYLES P - HOW I FLY

37.TWINZ - EASTSIDE LB

38.WARREN G - WHAT WE GO THROUGH

39.E-40 - WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM DAYS

40.WARREN G - THIS DJ

who u got?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:01:55 PM by Sccit »

doggfather

Re: BATTLECAT vs. WARREN G
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 01:42:34 AM »
bc
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Jay_J

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:34:48 AM »
i think its not so fair to compare BC and Warren. you can compare warren with dre, quik, daz... you can also compare bc with meech wells, jelly roll, fredwreck...

warren produced hits which rocked the whole world, which hit the charts in number one.

bc is a fucking great musician and a genius in beatmaking, he does amazing complex productions and i bet warren is a fan of him, like any other legends in beatmaking that i know they are a bc fan.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 03:52:05 AM »
i think its not so fair to compare BC and Warren. you can compare warren with dre, quik, daz... you can also compare bc with meech wells, jelly roll, fredwreck...

warren produced hits which rocked the whole world, which hit the charts in number one.

bc is a fucking great musician and a genius in beatmaking, he does amazing complex productions and i bet warren is a fan of him, like any other legends in beatmaking that i know they are a bc fan.

battlecat is better than daz

hes also very comparable to warren in terms of catalogue.... just look at all those hits. that range is epic.

who’d u vote for?

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 06:21:18 AM »
voted for Battlecat..he is just under Dre and Quik imo

The following users thanked this post: Okka

bouli77

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
In terms of versatility, musicianship, signature sound it's not match really, Battlecat is hands down the best producer.

Battlecat is in the same league as Quik. He's a musician and a technician. He has a deep knowledge of music equipment, he is an engineer in his own right, he can play several instruments, he can play the talkbox and he mixes his own shit. Very comparable to Quik. His knowledge and skills surpass Warren's. He is a mentor to dope musicians / technicians ala 1500 or Nothin' / Terrace Martin.

Warren is dope in his own right but he's in the same league as Daz, which is in my opinion under Quik and Battlecat's echelon. He came up in a very innovative era within a very innovative camp. He was a representative of a subculture that was blowing up nationwide and that's what made him dope too. Musically, he has a great ear and impressive musical culture but he's no technician. He can work out the MPC, play a little keyboards but he needs dope ass session musicians like  Greg Geitzenauer, Sean Barney Thomas, Carl Butch Smalls and engineers like Greg Geitzenauer to make his music sound crisp and dope and you can tell that, like Daz, his inspiration has more or less dried up along the years (a lot of hit or miss output). Whereas Battlecat's sound keeps getting crisper (even though his early productions are among his best). G Dub got dope concepts and produced seminal G-Funk albums (The Twinz' Conversation, which is Warren's heyday as a producer) but on the whole, he's not as skillful as Battlecat.

Warren G's most famous songs (namely Regulate, The Definition of a Thug Nigga, Indo Smoke) are more famous than Battlecat's but Battlecat's catalogue in terms of quantity and consistency is superior, IMO. It's interesting to see that some of the songs you mentioned on Warren G's 40 range from average to pretty good, some are forgettable and some are taken from his own albums. Personally, among his best productions, I'd have added : DFC's Things in Tha Hood, Still Can't Fade It (from The Show OST).
Among BC's best productions, I'd have added E-40's Get Breaded (feat. Fat Joe & Sauce Money), Domino's Sweet Potato Pie, Poppa LQ's Die Like a G or Live like a Trick + Neighborhoodsta Funk, Daz's It Might Sound Crazy (Remix), Quo - Quo Funk, Snoop Dogg - Ballin' (feat. Lil HD & The Dramatics), King Tee's The Game (It's Ruff), I Smooth 7 - Coolin' In Tha Ghetto, WC's Hog & Tears of a Killa, E-40 & Too $hort's Do U Remember (feat. Kurupt). which goes to show that, imo, Battlecat's catalogue is deeper and doper. Warren G is among my very favorite producers but, just like Kurupt when it comes to MCing, his prime was shorter than BC's.

It'd be interesting to make a tier list of westcoast producers.

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
In terms of versatility, musicianship, signature sound it's not match really, Battlecat is hands down the best producer.

Battlecat is in the same league as Quik. He's a musician and a technician. He has a deep knowledge of music equipment, he is an engineer in his own right, he can play several instruments, he can play the talkbox and he mixes his own shit. Very comparable to Quik. His knowledge and skills surpass Warren's. He is a mentor to dope musicians / technicians ala 1500 or Nothin' / Terrace Martin.

Warren is dope in his own right but he's in the same league as Daz, which is in my opinion under Quik and Battlecat's echelon. He came up in a very innovative era within a very innovative camp. He was a representative of a subculture that was blowing up nationwide and that's what made him dope too. Musically, he has a great ear and impressive musical culture but he's no technician. He can work out the MPC, play a little keyboards but he needs dope ass session musicians like  Greg Geitzenauer, Sean Barney Thomas, Carl Butch Smalls and engineers like Greg Geitzenauer to make his music sound crisp and dope and you can tell that, like Daz, his inspiration has more or less dried up along the years (a lot of hit or miss output). Whereas Battlecat's sound keeps getting crisper (even though his early productions are among his best). G Dub got dope concepts and produced seminal G-Funk albums (The Twinz' Conversation, which is Warren's heyday as a producer) but on the whole, he's not as skillful as Battlecat.

Warren G's most famous songs (namely Regulate, The Definition of a Thug Nigga, Indo Smoke) are more famous than Battlecat's but Battlecat's catalogue in terms of quantity and consistency is superior, IMO. It's interesting to see that some of the songs you mentioned on Warren G's 40 range from average to pretty good, some are forgettable and some are taken from his own albums. Personally, among his best productions, I'd have added : DFC's Things in Tha Hood, Still Can't Fade It (from The Show OST).
Among BC's best productions, I'd have added E-40's Get Breaded (feat. Fat Joe & Sauce Money), Domino's Sweet Potato Pie, Poppa LQ's Die Like a G or Live like a Trick + Neighborhoodsta Funk, Daz's It Might Sound Crazy (Remix), Quo - Quo Funk, Snoop Dogg - Ballin' (feat. Lil HD & The Dramatics), King Tee's The Game (It's Ruff), I Smooth 7 - Coolin' In Tha Ghetto, WC's Hog & Tears of a Killa, E-40 & Too $hort's Do U Remember (feat. Kurupt). which goes to show that, imo, Battlecat's catalogue is deeper and doper. Warren G is among my very favorite producers but, just like Kurupt when it comes to MCing, his prime was shorter than BC's.

It'd be interesting to make a tier list of westcoast producers.

^^ i heavily disagree

warren g and battlecat are both right under dre and quik .... and where battlecat definitely has stayed consistent and has way more bangers overall, i will take warren g’s best work over battlecat’s really, warren is like a mini dre while battlecat is like a mini quik. so while battlecat may be better as a pure musician, warrens best productions can be put against anyone’s in hip-hop history. not to mention, warren has produced his share of classic albums top to bottom, and has more universal hits too. on that note, i’m taking mid 90s warren over bc....not by much tho.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »
Very interesting thread and comparison. Two of the greatest producers from the West ever. Both have classics for days. But because I prefer Battlecat catalogue and his innovative sound I voted for BC

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 04:39:51 PM »
I agree with the consensus Dre <> Quik it's all the same to me, Dre was more succesful commercially is all.

Warren G <> Battlecat

I'd take Warren G catalogue over BC but maaan I Smooth 7 Lp is pure  dope or Battlecat unreleased album. The only hiatus being Battlecat can't rap (or barely), Warren did control the mic a little.

Underrated WG prod i listen these days: Dollar Make sense ft Kurupt Crucial Conflict:

Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Funkstradamus

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 12:46:21 AM »
<====== you already know who i voted for...   That said, Warren's early production (Twinz album, his first album, Mista Grimm single) are flawless, gold-standard G-Funk classics.  As far as consistency.  Battlecat hands down, he has almost 30 years worth of hits...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:51:04 AM by Funkstradamus »

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »
battlecat killin the polls :-X

dnjp4life

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 04:19:40 AM »
I thought this might be one of those producer battles that's been doing the rounds, this definitely needs to happen  8)

Battlecat for me.  I like Warren G's productions, and he's obviously a pivotal figure when it comes to west coast rap, but he hasn't really produced proper bangers like Battlecat has. 

Warren G's production tends to be of the smoother G-funk variety, but Battlecat has produced some of the greatest, most hardest beats of all time that you can really feel and play loud as hell in the stereo/car.

Beats like G'd Up, Trust Nobody, It's Ruff, The Vapors Remix, Back Up Off The Wall from The Game's Documentary 2.5, Marinatin' etc is some of the best shit ever in my opinion, definitely equal with Dr. Dre or DJ Quik's best productions.  On the other hand, I would say Warren G is more well known by your average listener, especially with his worldwide smash Regulate and his other commercial successes.

Some of the tracks listed I have never heard, so I definitely need to do my homework on those - I can't believe Cat produced a Tom Jones record  :D.

Funkstradamus

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
DJ Battlecat has been live on Instagram every couple days during the quarantine and everyone's been asking him to do a battle but he said he won't ever do one. 

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
DJ Battlecat has been live on Instagram every couple days during the quarantine and everyone's been asking him to do a battle but he said he won't ever do one.

damn

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 02:07:28 PM »
bump