Author Topic: Compton is a classic album  (Read 1441 times)

Compton is a classic album
« on: March 21, 2021, 03:42:39 PM »
Dude, I was totally bumping this super dope Compton album by Dre and like OMG dude its a classic.

How could I not see it before, bro? Did you hear the mixing bro? Its super crisp and the beats are layered like a Big Mac. So refreshing to hear Dre switch up things and innovate, the rap game will catch up in 20 years or so with his experimental flows and subject matter.

All of the features bought their A game and Dre whipped it up to a whole nother level so it leaves Chronic and 2001 in the dust, its just that good bro. Get on my level bro:

I taught that dude how to C Walk bro. C stands for Compton dude so I'm Compton Walking, don't let me hear you talk smack on this album or it'll be Compton Stomping.

Ginsberg test ya chin like a Habsburg #bars

Jay_J

Re: Compton is a classic album
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »
no it's not.

Malcy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 04:43:22 PM »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »
Yeah I felt all along it was a classic up to Dre’s gold standard.. I bumped it for about 6 months straight
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Okka

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 10:50:29 AM »
:snoopfacepalm:

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
:snoopfacepalm:

Context: Snoops actually wiping the sweat from his brow after hearing how out of this world Compton was. Even the Big Dogg pays homage to the genius of Andre that was exemplified by this album as the peak of his creativity.

Replay value is off the charts. Literally.

Don't think he'll ever be able to top this as its so far ahead of its time the discs haven't even been pressed yet.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
I disagree. Compton is nowhere near the level of a Chronic or 2001 - not only numerically in terms of success, but conceptually or production-wise. Standalone leftovers that didn't even make it on the album - like Music To Driveby - were better than the entire release. Compton reminds me of the Aftermath compilation that flopped right before he realized he need to get back to what he knows and made 2001. Hopefully we'll see the same thing happen again.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
I disagree. Compton is nowhere near the level of a Chronic or 2001 - not only numerically in terms of success, but conceptually or production-wise. Standalone leftovers that didn't even make it on the album - like Music To Driveby - were better than the entire release. Compton reminds me of the Aftermath compilation that flopped right before he realized he need to get back to what he knows and made 2001. Hopefully we'll see the same thing happen again.

You're sounding like an unappreciative hater there dudebroski. Still, mo Compton fo me.

Comparing it Aftermath Presents... is sacrilegious. Dre disowned that album with "How nigga my last album was The Chronic" but his extensive marketing and social mentions show how proud he is of Compton as his magnum opus and its deserves the title of finest album he's ever created.

People were just too basic to get how dope it is on first listen, its like fine wine and you need the palette to appreciate it. Sheer genius mixing and innovative flows, lyrics and all that. 5 mics. Instant classic. 2 dubs up.

doggfather

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 01:55:04 PM »
no. just no.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:18:13 PM »
no. just no.

Just listen to this:

Sheer genius. Totally fresh and unique production style, amazing flow and a total lack of gimmicks and trend riding. This makes Still DRE sound like a demo track from a C list artist. Compare that to this weak old stuff that was rightfully left of the album:

Nobody wants to hear that wack ish where Dre trots out the same old flow with those rhymes. You can see why it wasn't good enough for Compton, just not on that level.

Matter of fact Dre should take the mic of LLs arm and get 6 mics for this album as its that good. Real heads know.

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 03:01:42 PM »
compton is classic once u contextualize it with music coming out from that specific era

no promo didn’t help its cause in regards to notoriety, but sonically it’s indeed a production masterpiece

cats was just mad it wasnt la casual style breath like 16 wow

The following users thanked this post:

Safe+Sound

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »
You're sounding like an unappreciative hater there dudebroski. Still, mo Compton fo me.

Comparing it Aftermath Presents... is sacrilegious. Dre disowned that album with "How nigga my last album was The Chronic" but his extensive marketing and social mentions show how proud he is of Compton as his magnum opus and its deserves the title of finest album he's ever created.

People were just too basic to get how dope it is on first listen, its like fine wine and you need the palette to appreciate it. Sheer genius mixing and innovative flows, lyrics and all that. 5 mics. Instant classic. 2 dubs up.

Irrespective of what I might or might not sound like to you, there's nothing I "hate" about Dr. Dre. And as a fan and as a consumer, I along with anyone else are perfectly free to critique a product being sold. That kind of has an impact on how it does from a sales perspective. If there's a context for appreciation, it's with the artist who reaps massive amounts of money as result of consumption... in this case, we've all made him a billionaire. Also, I bought the Compton album. I'm looking at it from a technical point of view: conceptually, creatively, production, sonics, ideas, etc. Feel free to disagree - in fact I welcome constructive discourse around it. But I think the "hater" term is really overused and combative. It's not really an argument at all and doesn't serve a purpose here.

P.S. I'm not worried about being sacrilegious haha. Good conversations usually involve some of that.   8)

P.S.S. I will say that sonically, it is quite impressive. But the material itself is really underwhelming for me.

P.S.S. It's not like a good bottle of red requires some sort of effort to appreciate. I'm no sommelier, but I don't think that's requisite for determining how good wine is. Just like I don't need a PhD in electrical engineering to be an audiophile - but I can still have some basic conception about circuit analysis and how it contributes to what I'm hearing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:28:17 PM by Safe+Sound »

h2k4

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »

Agree with this. I've tried to give Compton a chance and even revisited it several years later and it absolutely falls flat. It felt forced with the features, content, and ghostwriters to the point that it didn't make sense; like it was a Kendrick album. Hopefully, he narrows down who he works with on his new album (if there is one) and sticks to one or two ghostwriters.

The following users thanked this post: Safe+Sound

NuWest

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
KUSH IS A FUCKING CLASSIC - PLAY THAT SHIT RIGHT NOW AND TELL IT DONT BUMP?

The following users thanked this post: Okka

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 04:39:34 PM »
But I think the "hater" term is really overused and combative. It's not really an argument at all and doesn't serve a purpose here.

Agree with this. I've tried to give Compton a chance and even revisited it several years later and it absolutely falls flat. It felt forced with the features, content, and ghostwriters to the point that it didn't make sense; like it was a Kendrick album. Hopefully, he narrows down who he works with on his new album (if there is one) and sticks to one or two ghostwriters.

I'm not hating, I'm riding on my enemies. Tom and Jerry style, its on sight.

If you don't like Compton and hail it as the greatest album Dre has ever created then we're going to have a problem. Matter of fact to know Compton a good dubcc member should have Compton in his blood stream. Break up a lil bit of that CD and snort it up, then you'll see what Compton is all about because Dre is the Ric Flair of the rap game:

WOOOOOOOOO!!!! Every word Ric said there can be applied to Dre and then some and Compton shows the Rolex wearing, diamond ring wearing, wife beating, whoo! wheelin dealin’, headphone selling, jet flying son of a gun whose having a hard time holding these classics in the vault.