Author Topic: Is backpacker hip hop destroying the music?  (Read 1616 times)

SGV

Re: Is backpacker hip hop destroying the music?
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2005, 12:00:56 PM »
What do they influence? Middle to Upper Class America. How? By making them feel as if they're apart of the Hip Hop culture. By allowing them the chance to have insight on the music. Changing their style of dress. Their speech. All that. They have just as much influence on these kids that your 50 Cent's have.

I've never met a 50 Cent fan who talks about "Real Hip Hop." But, I do meet plenty BackPack fans who talk about what's real, what's this, what's that. All these BackPack kids share a similar ideal, if it's Commercial it's not real. That's WORLDWIDE. THAT'S INFLUENCE.

Throwback

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2005, 12:08:12 PM »
its always sad when they hate. like they wouldnt grab the chance if they had it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2005, 04:32:23 PM »
What do they influence? Middle to Upper Class America. How? By making them feel as if they're apart of the Hip Hop culture. By allowing them the chance to have insight on the music. Changing their style of dress. Their speech. All that. They have just as much influence on these kids that your 50 Cent's have.

I've never met a 50 Cent fan who talks about "Real Hip Hop." But, I do meet plenty BackPack fans who talk about what's real, what's this, what's that. All these BackPack kids share a similar ideal, if it's Commercial it's not real. That's WORLDWIDE. THAT'S INFLUENCE.

The point is how much of middle to upper class America. I could use the Wicka as away to say it's having an influence over religion but as long as it's among the smallest religions it's not a factor. Backpack rap isn't changing music. Making a few thousand ex-Marilyn Manson fans (there were millions of Manson fans at one point) into supposed hip hop experts isn't changing music. How is back pack rap influencing the music scene as a whole?

SGV

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2005, 04:36:09 PM »

The point is how much of middle to upper class America. I could use the Wicka as away to say it's having an influence over religion but as long as it's among the smallest religions it's not a factor. Backpack rap isn't changing music. Making a few thousand ex-Marilyn Manson fans (there were millions of Manson fans at one point) into supposed hip hop experts isn't changing music. How is back pack rap influencing the music scene as a whole?

Emo Rap. The ___ Bars songs. The Freestyle facination. I can go on.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »

Emo Rap. The ___ Bars songs. The Freestyle facination. I can go on.

Do you think back pack rap can takeover as the music of choice among American teenagers? Do you think it will begin to sell at least 10 percent of all music sales? Do you think it can sell at least 10 precent of all concert tickets in major arenas? Do you think it will change the video playlists on MTV?

SGV

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2005, 06:11:42 PM »

Do you think back pack rap can takeover as the music of choice among American teenagers? Do you think it will begin to sell at least 10 percent of all music sales? Do you think it can sell at least 10 precent of all concert tickets in major arenas? Do you think it will change the video playlists on MTV?

Of course. The major artists in the Underground/BackPack arena are mainly white. Atmosphere, El-P, E&A, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock etc. Though they're not much different from any other non-white emcee, they stand out due to their race and are very accessible to the Middle and Upper Classes aka the people who buy records. If they got a 50 Cent push, they'd take over. It's common sense.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2005, 08:23:49 PM »

Of course. The major artists in the Underground/BackPack arena are mainly white. Atmosphere, El-P, E&A, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock etc. Though they're not much different from any other non-white emcee, they stand out due to their race and are very accessible to the Middle and Upper Classes aka the people who buy records. If they got a 50 Cent push, they'd take over. It's common sense.

But do they make tracks like and rap about stuff like and the way 50 or even Kanye do?

Counter cultre only really works in mainstream America because of the sound. Smells Like Teens Spirit may have spoken to a lot of white kids personally but if it wasn't one of the catchiest tunes of the decade then it wouldn't have sold so much. Look at the protest singers of the mid to late 60s. They never sold all that much. Phil Ohcs had some great tunes and came from a very popular scene amongst certain types of kids but when it came to mainstream America it didn't fly because he didn't sound like The Beatles and people don't want to hear about in your face complaining about society in any way. Even Punk which wasa way bigger indy scene than back pack rap didn't break the mainstream until songs stopped being so angry and more fun, and more pop and less punk.

I guess only time will tell if back pack rap takes over the main stream, but I just don't see it happening. Bubba Sparxx had a pretty decent push but he never sold all that much, and his much better second album didn't do well at all. The majority of white American teen music buyers don't want to think too much they just want music that sounds good, and when music like that gets shoved down their throats it pays off. I don't see that happening with a group like Non-Phixion doing that. I just don't think anything htey do is catchy enough or ever will be. It's not like you can throw any white guy doing black music to the mainstream and have the people eat it up. If that were the case then Bubba, Evidence, and Whitey Ford would all be mega stars. For every 1 Elvis there is 1000 Billy Lee Rileys (Billy Lee Riley wasa great talent but couldn't break the mainstream).

Even the backpack scene here in Toronto with Sweat Shop Union and Swollen Members don't exactly break any records when it comes to sales or concerts, and Canadian usually overhype their own.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2005, 10:57:37 PM »

its not that ridiculous to say there is a possibility. in 1995 I would have said that the shit thats so popular today would never have had a chance.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2005, 09:13:17 AM »

its not that ridiculous to say there is a possibility. in 1995 I would have said that the shit thats so popular today would never have had a chance.

I wasn't ttrying to imply it was ridiculous. I was just asking the question too know to what extent SGV thinks backrack rap will succeed. I disagree with him, but I never said there was no way it could happen.

SGV

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2005, 02:38:13 PM »

But do they make tracks like and rap about stuff like and the way 50 or even Kanye do?

Counter cultre only really works in mainstream America because of the sound. Smells Like Teens Spirit may have spoken to a lot of white kids personally but if it wasn't one of the catchiest tunes of the decade then it wouldn't have sold so much. Look at the protest singers of the mid to late 60s. They never sold all that much. Phil Ohcs had some great tunes and came from a very popular scene amongst certain types of kids but when it came to mainstream America it didn't fly because he didn't sound like The Beatles and people don't want to hear about in your face complaining about society in any way. Even Punk which wasa way bigger indy scene than back pack rap didn't break the mainstream until songs stopped being so angry and more fun, and more pop and less punk.

I guess only time will tell if back pack rap takes over the main stream, but I just don't see it happening. Bubba Sparxx had a pretty decent push but he never sold all that much, and his much better second album didn't do well at all. The majority of white American teen music buyers don't want to think too much they just want music that sounds good, and when music like that gets shoved down their throats it pays off. I don't see that happening with a group like Non-Phixion doing that. I just don't think anything htey do is catchy enough or ever will be. It's not like you can throw any white guy doing black music to the mainstream and have the people eat it up. If that were the case then Bubba, Evidence, and Whitey Ford would all be mega stars. For every 1 Elvis there is 1000 Billy Lee Rileys (Billy Lee Riley wasa great talent but couldn't break the mainstream).

Even the backpack scene here in Toronto with Sweat Shop Union and Swollen Members don't exactly break any records when it comes to sales or concerts, and Canadian usually overhype their own.

BackPack rap had a run towards the Mainstream when Eminem got put on. Eminem got his deal, then Rawkus got a deal. Eminem was blowing up, you started seeing Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch etc. more often. Then they did the Hip Hop For Respect joint that got a lot of play and was straight up BackPack. This was about 98-99... At the height of the South's popularity.

So, it's VERY possible to have an Atmosphere, Eyedea, Sage Francis, etc. explode into the Mainstream. But, you don't understand this: Given the SAME push as 50 or Kanye, virtually anyone can blow up. Atmosphere and Eyedea already have a strong female following, given the right push, they'd be superstars right now. Bubba Sparxxx never got the push because he wasn't relateable to females.

Swollen Members had a good following down here, but from what I understand, they do bad business. That doesn't translate well into the industry especially when they're already outsiders. That's why they never blew up. But, given the right chance, that song with Nelly Furtado would've took off with mainstream america.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2005, 04:12:17 PM »

BackPack rap had a run towards the Mainstream when Eminem got put on. Eminem got his deal, then Rawkus got a deal. Eminem was blowing up, you started seeing Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch etc. more often. Then they did the Hip Hop For Respect joint that got a lot of play and was straight up BackPack. This was about 98-99... At the height of the South's popularity.

So, it's VERY possible to have an Atmosphere, Eyedea, Sage Francis, etc. explode into the Mainstream. But, you don't understand this: Given the SAME push as 50 or Kanye, virtually anyone can blow up. Atmosphere and Eyedea already have a strong female following, given the right push, they'd be superstars right now. Bubba Sparxxx never got the push because he wasn't relateable to females.

Swollen Members had a good following down here, but from what I understand, they do bad business. That doesn't translate well into the industry especially when they're already outsiders. That's why they never blew up. But, given the right chance, that song with Nelly Furtado would've took off with mainstream america.

I see a huge difference in Eminem songs and Atmosphere songs. Eminem got over because he was funny. He stirred up a lot of shit with a lot of easy targets that a lot of people wanted to see hit (N Synch etc), and most importantly he had some very catchy tunes. Can you give me examples of songs that would blow up with the right promotion?

SM's Breathe with Nelly Furtado was pushed heavily up here but it never took off the way you'd think it would. It really isn't that easy to push someone. if it was then you'd see a lot more artists selling like 50 and Kanye. Look at D12. They got pushed as hard as anyone and couldn't sell a quater of what Em sold solo.

Oh and by the way, Turf Hitta says Bubba isn't official hip hop. You agree with that? Just wondering.

SGV

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2005, 05:41:08 PM »

I see a huge difference in Eminem songs and Atmosphere songs. Eminem got over because he was funny. He stirred up a lot of shit with a lot of easy targets that a lot of people wanted to see hit (N Synch etc), and most importantly he had some very catchy tunes. Can you give me examples of songs that would blow up with the right promotion?

SM's Breathe with Nelly Furtado was pushed heavily up here but it never took off the way you'd think it would. It really isn't that easy to push someone. if it was then you'd see a lot more artists selling like 50 and Kanye. Look at D12. They got pushed as hard as anyone and couldn't sell a quater of what Em sold solo.

Oh and by the way, Turf Hitta says Bubba isn't official hip hop. You agree with that? Just wondering.

Eminem's funny, Atmopshere is sensitive. Two qualities females like in music. Two different ends of the spectrum, but ultimately, coincide with one another. "Trying To Find A Balance" was very catchy, but didn't get a HUGE push like say "My Name Is" did. "Always Coming Back Home To You" had much potential,  as did "One Of A Kind." These songs, pushed right, would have Atmosphere in a popular position.

As for Swollen Members, I can't speak for Canada, but I can say that the song had potential for Mainstream America. Nelly Furtado was still hot and Canadian's in Hip Hop were just starting to emerge. It had a lot of potenial, but the backing wasn't there. Without the push from Dr. Dre, Eminem would've been just another name in this discussion on the side of the BackPackers.

It's very easy to push artists... 50 is a perfect example. Dude had no buzz really. But get him on MTV with Dr. Dre AND Eminem promoting him? He's unstopable. Game had Dre AND 50 and look at him now. Again, before any of this he was a nobody. D-12's music is still regional. They make Detroit Hip Hop and that's it. Regardless of having Eminem there, their music just can't catch on. But, you see their push had them on MTV, BET, etc. Their push still kept their name recognizeable.

And, I don't agree. Bubba Sparxxx IS Hip Hop.

Jakubs

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2005, 06:34:18 PM »
I like backpack and mainstream hip hop. I'm one of those people that listens to the music if I like the way it sounds. Just because it's mainstream doesn't mean it's bad, and just because it's backpack doesn't mean it's good. I've been listening to more backpack and old school hip hop lately, but that's just because there's not a lot that gets my attention in the mainstream.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2005, 02:04:47 PM »
My 2 cents...

Basically all your favorite backpack rappers are dying to one day be famous. They put out albums hoping one reaches the mainstream and people feel their shit. WHY? BECAUSE THEY ARE ARTIST. No artist wants to put out work so no one but true fans can hear it. They want to make news fans, and they want to be heard. Plus the money is good.

Second, who ever says mainstream is killing Hip-Hop doesn't remember than Run DMC, Big Daddy Kane and many other Hip-Hop stars used to wear the bling, the gold ropes, and all that. Hip-Hop has always been about making it big. The culture was never the music, it was driven by it. The culture was about boosting. The DJ's use to loop old R&B breaks, well dancers use to dance, hence break dancing. It was all about the dancable party music. Rappers use to boost about the DJ, and then battle each other. If you think about it, 50 Cent is more Hip-Hop dissing folks and doing party raps than Slug is doing is emotional rap. It wasn't until Melle Mel, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five changed the game forever by releasing more, what we call now, conscience rap. Before that, Hip-Hop was endanger of being a fad, but Melle Mel and The Furious Five made Hip-Hop, which was already 10 years old, a respected art form. But on the real, before The Message, you had songs that were about parties and battles. Exactly like 50 Cent. Now don't get me wrong, I don't exactly like 50, though I can't say shit 'cause in late 1993- early 1994 I played Doggystyle everyday, and if you listen to Doggystyle again, it sounds a lot like Get Rich or Die Trying. So learn your history, check your what you use to listen to, why you did, then come with an argument.

Dave Shining

• 'G'
  • The Legend
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2005, 05:15:53 AM »
no, backpack is tight, there are a lot of skilled white rappers out there

I seriously don't get how you can hate aesop rock or atmosphere.