Author Topic: Were Daz's AEOM beats actually DJ Quik beats?  (Read 1946 times)

MOBNigga06

Were Daz's AEOM beats actually DJ Quik beats?
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
I have a theory based on some observations:

1) The beats attributed to Daz on All Eyez on Me are some of the greatest beats in the history of rap music.
2) Daz has produced nothing even remotely comparable in quality since All Eyez On Me.
3) Quik's contract with Priority limited the amount of work he was officially allowed to do for Death Row, so he worked under the table and produced under other peoples' names.
4) Skandalouz definitely sounds like a DJ Quik beat. It sounds like no other beat Daz ever produced.
5) I Ain't Mad At Cha samples DeBarge. This is sophisticated music, the sort of stuff Quik makes. It sounds like no other Daz beat.

My theory: all of the beats on All Eyez On Me that are attributed to Daz are actually beats by DJ Quik. Daz was listed as producer because of Quik's contract with Priority.

This is the only theory that makes sense. No producer has ever made such high quality beats and then made nothing similar. Daz hasn't made a track like Skandalouz or I Ain't Mad At Cha since 1996. Quik, on the other hand, has never fallen off, and is still a genius producer to this day. 
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

GangstaBoogy

Re: Were Daz's AEOM beats actually DJ Quik beats?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »

1) The beats attributed to Daz on All Eyez on Me are some of the greatest beats in the history of rap music.
2) Daz has produced nothing even remotely comparable in quality since All Eyez On Me.
3) Quik's contract with Priority limited the amount of work he was officially allowed to do for Death Row, so he worked under the table and produced under other peoples' names.
4) Skandalouz definitely sounds like a DJ Quik beat. It sounds like no other beat Daz ever produced.
5) I Ain't Mad At Cha samples DeBarge. This is sophisticated music, the sort of stuff Quik makes. It sounds like no other Daz beat.

My theory: all of the beats on All Eyez On Me that are attributed to Daz are actually beats by DJ Quik. Daz was listed as producer because of Quik's contract with Priority.

This is the only theory that makes sense. No producer has ever made such high quality beats and then made nothing similar. Daz hasn't made a track like Skandalouz or I Ain't Mad At Cha since 1996. Quik, on the other hand, has never fallen off, and is still a genius producer to this day. 

All very good points. And it wouldn't be the first time Daz proudly accepted credit for another prodjucers work (something he hated Dre for doing ironically). But its not like Daz will ever admit it or Quik will ever accuse him so...
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

I doubt it.  Remember that he just couldn't do anything as DJ Quik.  He still got credit for work on AEOM, only as David Blake.  Daz just hit his peak on AEOM, but it's not like his shit just went downhill immediately.  A lot of the stuff he was doing on Death Row was still good... from some of his cuts on Doggfather to the stuff he was contributing to soundtracks (Way Too Major is fucking dope) and his own album.

But it doesn't mean that Quik didn't throw on some finishing touches that didn't get credited, probably since he was cool without getting acknowledged for just tweaking beats.  I can believe that to have been the case for Skandalouz.  There are some voicebox adlibs during the chorus that sound like elements that Quik uses, but those didn't appear on the demo version of the song.  But the bassline sounded like pure Daz.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »
Quik was never on Priority.  You're thinking of Profile.

I don't know about saying other people produced for Daz.  I just think he had a dope team in the background over there.  

biggdazdilly

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 02:07:42 AM »
thats false only thing quik did was mixx my music  thats it but its all DAZ

bouli77

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:15:05 AM »
hey daz thanks for contributing hopefully you can detail a little bit more you work on AEOM that's something us listeners are eager to read about.

Soopafly spoke on it in an old thread, there were rumours that Teddy Riley & Quik had produced I Ain't Mad At Cha and Soopa said that Daz & Soopa had produced the song.

As for AEOM song, i'm pretty sure they're Daz beats, but Quik mixed most of the album. and in his interview with HipHopDX he shed light on his involvement for Skandalouz and Quik did more than merely mixing the song, he also played the rhodes and made sure the sample wouldn't have to be cleared by playing instruments

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interviews/id.1691/title.dj-quik-against-all-odds
"DX: I just know “Skandalouz” wouldn’t be the classic it is without the talk box [you added to it].

DJ Quik: Yeah, I touched [that record]. I had my boy, Cornelius Mims, play bass on it. That was Daz [Dillinger]’s beat. Daz shot it to me and I really made it a record that they wouldn’t have to clear a sample with. I played Rhodes [electric piano] on there too. I was coming."

V2DHeart

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:17:29 AM »
He done a lot more on that album than he got credit for
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Will_B

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 02:37:00 AM »
I remember seeing one of the masters to a Daz track on AEOM (probably on eBay) and the producer credit was Daz and Johnny J's music group

You know Superfly, Quik and a gang of other session players were involved in making the album, but if Daz came up with the concept/sample idea, laid the drum pattern and the rest west built on top with his direction you know he deserves the main credit no doubt

Those tracks always had a bunch of dudes workin on em but 95% of the time the main guy in the room gets sole producer credit

And if Daz had no idea how to make a song he wouldn't have 35 solo albums now would he :D

Matty

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »
quik brought the tracks to life. whether you want to call that production or not (i would, it's the dre thing again) is up for debate...but quik mixed/engineered all of that first disc pretty much. he even talked about having parts replayed, in the short space of time those records were mixed.

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:44:19 AM »
quik brought the tracks to life. whether you want to call that production or not (i would, it's the dre thing again) is up for debate...but quik mixed/engineered all of that first disc pretty much. he even talked about having parts replayed, in the short space of time those records were mixed.

Doing finishes to tracks still only deserves an additional production credit if that IMO (unless you're dre, then u just take full credit)

Matty

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:34 AM »

Doing finishes to tracks still only deserves an additional production credit if that IMO (unless you're dre, then u just take full credit)

not saying daz doesn't deserve the main credit as beat maker, just that quik's input as 'mixer/engineer' drastically impacted the final sound.

so, to the OPs question - no they aren't quiks beats, but perhaps that's the wrong queston to be asking.

'how do u want it' is interesting because there's the earlier 2nd ii none track with the exact same sample and sounding very similar. that one seems to be more than a coincidence, though it isn't one of the daz tracks he's talking about.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:12:11 AM by Matty »

Mr. Theo

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:01 AM »

not saying daz doesn't deserve the main credit as beat maker, just that quik's input as 'mixer/engineer' drastically impacted the final sound.

so, to the OPs question - no they aren't quiks beats, but perhaps that's the wrong queston to be asking.

'how do u want it' is interesting because there's the earlier 2nd ii none track with the exact same sample and sounding very similar. that one seems to be more than a coincidence, though it isn't one of the daz tracks he's talking about.

What 2nd II None track? Of Unreleased album ?

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Okka

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 06:09:03 AM »
If somebody was helpin' Daz with the beats, it was Soopafly.

Matty

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 06:13:28 AM »

What 2nd II None track? Of Unreleased album ?

yeah it was one of those that leaked with a bunch of unreleased tracks, can't remember the name.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »
Quik helped and work alot in Death Row.. Murder Was The Case..Above The Rim soundtrack.. Danny Boy album..2nd II None "Tha Shit" unreleased album, and of course he big credits on Pac's AEOM, mixing, add final touches, in various tracks "Skandalouz" "How Do U Want" "Only God Can Judge Me" "Thug Passion" "California Love" - He brings Roger Troutman to the studio .

Skandalouz is clearly a Daz B-E-A-T.But arranged by DJ Quik.

Daz is a beatmaker. Johnny J was a beatmaker. Dr. Dre is a great beatmaker. DJ Quik is a musician. It's different.

Example of DJ Quik unique style..

3 tracks..apparently sound alike because they use the same sample of Donald Byrd - Wind Parade.

Let's Get Higher - 2nd II None feat. DJ Quik himself . (Of The "Tha Shit" unreleased album) recorded in 94' .

Late Night - 2pac feat. AMG and DJ Quik himself . (Leftover of AEOM) recorded in 96'

Late Nite - 2pac feat. Tha Outlawz and DJ Quik on the intro . (Possible on 7th Day Theory) - recorded in 96' but mixed in 2002 for Pac's Better Dayz .

All 3 instrumentals have differences..The 2nd II None instrumental have a BIG diffenrence to Pac's tracks...have a vocal sample of "Wind Parade" the 2pac tracks don't have.

The Pac tracks have a heavy piano chord.

Listen to the AMG and Quik featured "Late Night", Quik puts a synth sound on the middle of the verses, before the chorus.And a Outlawz version don't have this synthesizer sound. And also he used another synth sound on the 2nd II None track, on the chorus.

All this in 3 tracks "that seem to sound alike". But are actually different.

This is an example of how DJ Quik is a musician. Not a simple beatmaker.

OBS: My Fave track of the 3 above is 2pac "Late Night" w/ Quik and AMG..the synths make it more smooth and AMG murder the beat on his verse. And Pac kills of course .

Peace .
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:47:07 AM by Mr. Theo »

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF