Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #20...  (Read 319 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #20...
« on: July 10, 2005, 07:20:47 AM »
Run-D.M.C. – Run-D.M.C. (1984) 

Years after the release of Run-D.M.C.'s eponymous 1984 debut, the group generally were acknowledged to be hip-hop's Beatles — a sentiment that makes a lot of sense.  Run-D.M.C. were the Beatles of rap because they signaled a cultural and musical change for the music, ushering it into its accepted form; neither group originated the music, but they gave it the shape known today. But, no matter how true and useful the comparison is, it is also a little misleading, because it implies that Run-D.M.C. also were a melodic, accessible group, bringing in elements from all different strands of popular music. No, Run-D.M.C.'s expanded their music by making it tough and spare, primarily by adapting the sound and attitude of hard rock to hip-hop. Prior to this, rap felt like a block party — the beats were funky and elastic, all about the groove. Run-D.M.C. hit hard. The production is tough and minimal, built on relentless drum machines and Jam Master Jay's furious scratching, mixing in a guitar riff or a keyboard hit on occasion. It is brutal urban music, and Run and D.M.C.'s forceful, muscual rhymes match the music. Where other MCs sounded cheerful, Run and D.M.C. prowl and taunt the listener, sounding as if they were a street gang.

Although the group had already been established in New York by the time this album was released by Profile, they hadn't yet gone on to national fame and international acclaim. This would quickly change. Although the A-Side of their first single "Hard Times" was and still is a hardcore anthem of the Reaganomic woes, it was the flipside "Sucker M.C.'s" that was revolutionary. Up until that time, a lot of successful rap acts could to some degree be considered "glam": fancy outfits, studio bands, and a reliance on image over substance. "Sucker M.C.'s" was an earthquake that shook up glam with a thunderous introduction: BOOM-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP. Simple ain't it? But quite clever. The hard drum track screamed, "Just give us a beat. We've got two rappers and a DJ and we can do this thing our DAMN selves." As if the music wasn't sensational enough, the rapping set a new mark by not just being self-braggadocious but by ALSO dismissing other rappers for being inferior to their righteous styles:

You five dollar boy and I'm a million dollar man
Youse a sucker MC, and you're my fan
You try to bite lines, but rhymes are mine
Youse a sucker MC in a pair of Calvin Klein
Comin from the wackest, part of town
Tryin to rap up but you can't get down
You don't even know your english, your verb or noun
You're just a sucker MC you sad face clown

All my rhymes are sweet delight
So here's another one for y'all to bite
When I rhyme, I never quit
And if I got a new rhyme I'll just say it
Cause it takes a lot, to entertain
And sucker MC's can be a pain
You can't rock a party with the hip in hop
You gotta let 'em know you'll never stop

Hip-Hop would never be the same. Run-D.M.C. didn't stop at shattering the facade of pretentious rappers though, they singlehandedly reinvented b-boy style. Can you see such a down to earth, hardcore hip-hop group dressing up glam? Of course not. Jumpsuits, Adidas sneakers, and stylish hats were their dress code. Their clothing reflected their music and vice versa - nothing fake or out of touch with the streets. "It's Like That" showcased this hard reality perfectly. It's probably not a coincidence that the fledgling MTV network didn't accept a rap video until Run-D.M.C.'s "Rock Box" given the channel's allegiance to rock music, but once this barrier was broken down no one could deny it was good rap AND good rock:

So move your butt, to the cut
Run amuk, you're not in a rut
Each and everybody out there, we got the notion
We want to see y'all all in motion
Just SHAKE, WIGGLE jump up and down
Move your body to the funky sound
Side to side, back and forth
We're the two MC's, and we're gonna go off
Stand in place, walk or RUN
Tap your feet, you'll be on the one
Just snap your fingers and clap your hands
Our DJ's better than all these bands!!!

While much of the record is devoted to braggadocio, boasting, and block parties, Run-D.M.C. also addressed grittier realities of urban life, giving this record both context and thematic weight. All of this — the music, the attitude, the words, the themes — marked a turning point for rap, and it's impossible to calculate Run-D.M.C.'s influence on all that came afterward. Years later, some of the production may sound a bit of its time, but the music itself does not because music this powerful and original always retains its impact and force as music.  What we have here is hip-hop's first classic album.

50. Dr. Dre – 2001 (1999)
49. Outkast – Southernplayalisticaddicmuzik (1994)
48. Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt (1996)
47. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted: Dead Or Alive (1990)
46. Redman – Whut? Thee Album (1992)
45. De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991)
44. Fugees – The Score (1996)
43. The D.O.C. – No One Can Do It Better (1989)
42. Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)
41. Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)
40. Public Enemy – Fear Of A Black Planet (1990)
39. Ice Cube – Death Certificate (1992)
38. Gza/Genius - Liquid Swords (1995)
37. N.W.A – Efil4zaggin (1991)
36. Main Source – Breaking Atoms (1991)
35. Geto Boys – Grip It! On That Other Level (1989)
34. Brand Nubian – One For All (1990)
33. Scarface – The Diary (1994)
32. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Road To The Riches (1989)
31. Beastie Boys – Licensed To Ill (1986)
30. Ultramagnetic MC's – Critical Beatdown (1988)
29. LL Cool J – Radio (1985)
28. 2Pac – All Eyez On Me (1996)
27. Mobb Deep – The Infamous… (1995)
26. Eric B. & Rakim – Follow The Leader (1988)
25. Big Daddy Kane – It’s A Big Daddy (1989)
24. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – Mecca And The Soul Brother (1992)
23. Black Moon – Enta Da Stage (1993)
22. Outkast – Aquemini (1998)
21. A Tribe Called Quest – People’s Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm (1990)
20. Run-D.M.C. – Run-D.M.C. (1984)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #20...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:21:49 AM »
Good call.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Elevz

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
Slap me silly. I thought Raising Hell was their first, lol :o I've been sleeping again! ;/ Thanks for the wake up call though.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 12:37:17 PM »
Raising Hell is their third album, King Of Rock was the follow up to their self-titled debut.

Elevz

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »
Raising Hell is their third album, King Of Rock was the follow up to their self-titled debut.

No shit, there's even more? ;D

I got some catching up to do 8)

Diabolical

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 12:52:04 PM »
lol

Elevz

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 01:08:21 PM »
Okay. A few things.

* Track 4 is "Krush-Groove 2" while track 5 is "Krush-Groove 1". Huh? They should've called it "How to confuse Elevz in 2 steps"
* Either I totally forgot, or I never knew they had an OG version of "It's like that" from 1984. I somehow only remembered the 90s version. Can't tell why though.
* Their style on this album is a bit slow. A bit too slow for me actually. I think I still do prefer Raising Hell from what I've heard of this album so far.

Oh well. This album is here to stay. I like it, and I guess it well deserves it's spot in the top 20.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 02:14:05 PM »
wow...wicked way to start the top 20
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 09:27:02 PM »
they legend  8)
r.i.p JMJ 
first rap group on mtv

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »
can't argue here

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09