Author Topic: NBA ALL-STAR WEEKEND should bring back the NBA Rookie Game...  (Read 1040 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

NBA ALL-STAR WEEKEND should bring back the NBA Rookie Game...
« on: January 26, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »
I mean, the rookies vs. sophmores is cool, but I remember a few years back when it was the rookies of the west vs. the rookies of the east going at it to prove they can play and make a name for themselves...I think there's enough rookie talent out in both conferences for them to bring back the rookie game...Here's how my teams would look

WEST:[/b]
PG Chris Paul...Daniel Ewing/Jarrett Jack
SG Deron Williams...Rashad McCants/Martell Webster
SF Luther Head...Fransisco Garcia/Djion Thompson
PF James Singelton...Johan Petro/Chuck Hayes
C Ike Diogu...Andrew Bynum/Chris Taft

EAST:[/u]
PG Nate Robinson...Raymond Felton/Jose Calderon
SG Sarunas Jasikevicus...Salim Stoudamire/Orien Greene
SF Charlie Villanueva...Danny Granger/Joey Graham
PF Channing Frye...Sean May/Marvin Williams
C Andrew Bogut...Wayne Simien/Esteban Batista

Looks like the rookies are stronger in the east this year, though there are slighlty better guards on the west...Who would ya'll pick on your rookie teams?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:21:13 PM by Now_Im_Blowed »

Lex Boooger

• 'G'
Re: NBA ALL-STAR WEEKEND should bring back the NBA Rookie Game...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 05:33:45 PM »
i pick Channing Frye for the entire rookie east team

money i stack pay for my crack

PLANT

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »
Charlie V>>>>>>>Channing Frye

Charlei V is a baller.  Hes got the all around game for a 6"10 guy.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 08:02:35 PM »

Charlie V. is good, no doubt, but I'd still prefer Channing Frye anyday. Frye has potential to be a Duncan-Garnett type player with better shooting ability. Both players have a great future though, no doubt...

thatboi

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »
Yeah they should. It'll get them rookies more exposure and shit.
looking for mc's for The Resistance group svh398@hotmail.com get at me.

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 02:40:30 AM »
Chris Paul & Nate Robinson>>>>>>>>>>any other rookie players

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 02:46:52 AM »
i honestly havent been into All Star weekend for years. The shit is kinda wack now. I mean, the slam dunk competition is boring now. And the game itself is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Im more back on them days in the mid 90's. The shit was fun. I think the defense now is even worse then its ever been. D in the All Star game has never been good...but now, shit is like an AND1 game.

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 03:19:28 AM »

Charlie V. is good, no doubt, but I'd still prefer Channing Frye anyday. Frye has potential to be a Duncan-Garnett type player with better shooting ability. Both players have a great future though, no doubt...
Well for a 6"10 player, Charlie V shoots and can hit the 3 wich is something Frye cant and does not do.  Plus Charlie V can dribble and take his man outside the paint where Frye is only a post up player in the paint.  Charlie is much more versatile IMO. 

Not that I expect you to agree with me  ::)  But trust me, I watch every single Raptor game so dont try to say Frye is a better shooter.  You can still be right all the time about the Lakers tho :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:23:07 AM by PLANT »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 09:52:52 AM »

Well for a 6"10 player, Charlie V shoots and can hit the 3 wich is something Frye cant and does not do.  Plus Charlie V can dribble and take his man outside the paint where Frye is only a post up player in the paint.  Charlie is much more versatile IMO. 

Not that I expect you to agree with me  ::)  But trust me, I watch every single Raptor game so dont try to say Frye is a better shooter.  You can still be right all the time about the Lakers tho :laugh:

Frye can hit the 3 as well, though his position does not require him to do that, so he doesn't get many looks from long ditance. I also agree with you that Charlie is more versatlie, but Frye is more polished and fundemental. Sorta like the difference between Tim Duncan and Lamar Odom. Odom is more versatile, but Duncan just has that boring, yet very effective game. Frye is not gunna be an explosive player, like Charlie will, but overall, he will be more valuable to his team in the long run...Big men aren't supposed to dribble a lot anyways, Frye is a C-PF...I hope they play him primarily at PF for his career, because I feel like he can take advantage of that position easily...Charlie is gunna be very good too, but this is just my opinion...As for the Lakers, I still haven't forgotten that bet regarding the chrons. 8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 10:39:50 AM »
i honestly havent been into All Star weekend for years. The shit is kinda wack now. I mean, the slam dunk competition is boring now. And the game itself is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Im more back on them days in the mid 90's. The shit was fun. I think the defense now is even worse then its ever been. D in the All Star game has never been good...but now, shit is like an AND1 game.

Yea...It's been pretty whack. The last good all-star segment I remember was Vince's dunk contest...Before that, it was Kobe's rookie season, when he won the dunk contest. Nowadays, the all-star game is more like a pick-up game. But I think with the NBA tryna restore its respectability and all, they will try to improve on all-star weekend as well. They should start by bringing back the rookie game and inviting big names to the dunk contest...I also believe the competition in the actuall all-star game will go up this year...The west should take it though.

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:31:48 PM »

Not that I expect you to agree with me  ::)  But trust me, I watch every single Raptor game so dont try to say Frye is a better shooter. 

Well I watch every single Knicks game, and you clearly havent seen much of Frye to know what you're talking about.

Frye is only a post up player in the paint?! LOL He is a jump shooter man, he loves his mid range j, he lives off it. He does take it to the rack with authority when necessary, but is primarily a finesse player not a power player. Frye is 6'11, so why does CV get love for being able to shoot at his height, yet Frye doesnt? Frye can also hit the 3, has only taken like 6 all year, but has made 2 of them. Frye is as stated flat out fundamental. He is the exact type of player you want on your team, hard worker, consistant, great attitude. Just needs stable minutes which is hard for anyone to get in NY atm.

Charlie Villanueva
Toronto Raptors
Position:  F
Height:  6-11 Weight:  240
College : Connecticut
Player file | Team stats
2005-06 Statistics
PPG   11.7
RPG   5.1
APG   .8
SPG   .79
BPG   .71
FG%   .478
FT%   .659
3P%   .295
MPG   24.2

Channing Frye
New York Knicks
Position:  F
Height:  6-11 Weight:  248
College : Arizona
Player file | Team stats
2005-06 Statistics
PPG   14.2
RPG   5.9
APG   .9
SPG   .46
BPG   .79
FG%   .510
FT%   .841
3P%   .333
MPG   26.1

Frye is way more efficient, 65% from the line? Yikes!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:34:31 PM by TobyTizzle »

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »

Yea...It's been pretty whack. The last good all-star segment I remember was Vince's dunk contest...Before that, it was Kobe's rookie season, when he won the dunk contest. Nowadays, the all-star game is more like a pick-up game. But I think with the NBA tryna restore its respectability and all, they will try to improve on all-star weekend as well. They should start by bringing back the rookie game and inviting big names to the dunk contest...I also believe the competition in the actuall all-star game will go up this year...The west should take it though.

Best All Star moment to me was Magics last All Star game. Shit was tight...everybody from the East was taking there turns guarding him. Isiah, Jordan, etc...it was fun to watch back then at least. I think it would help if more of the big stars were in the Dunk Contest too like back in the day. Nothing like watchin Nique and Jordan go back n forth. I wonder if they could get some legends back to play in a game. maybe rookies vs legends. Get Jordan, Magic, Barkley, The Admiral, Malone, etc to come back and play a game against the rooks.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 12:44:34 AM »

Best All Star moment to me was Magics last All Star game. Shit was tight...everybody from the East was taking there turns guarding him. Isiah, Jordan, etc...it was fun to watch back then at least. I think it would help if more of the big stars were in the Dunk Contest too like back in the day. Nothing like watchin Nique and Jordan go back n forth. I wonder if they could get some legends back to play in a game. maybe rookies vs legends. Get Jordan, Magic, Barkley, The Admiral, Malone, etc to come back and play a game against the rooks.

LOL...Rookies vs. Legends! :o

Rookies:
PG Chris Paul...Nate Robinson/Raymond Felton
SG Deron Williams...Rashad McCants/Salim Stoudamire
SF Charlie Villanueva...Danny Granger/Luther Head
C Andrew Bogut...Ike Diogu/Andrew Bynum

vs.

Legends:
PG Magic Johnson...Isiaha Thomas/John Stockton
SG Michael Jordan...Reggie Miller/Dominique Wilkins
SF Larry Bird...Scottie Pippen/James Worthy
PF Karl Malone...Charles Barkley/Dennis Rodman
C Kareem Abdul-Jabar...David Robinson/Hakeem Olojuwan

That'd be one hot ticket... 8)

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »

Rookies:

vs.

Legends:

no Clyde the Glide?!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »

Rookies:

vs.

Legends:

no Clyde the Glide?!

LOL, I always liked Wilkins better, but if you want, you can make your own rookies vs. legends roster how you'd have it...