Author Topic: 'What went wrong with the forum last night' ?  (Read 138 times)

Don Seer

'What went wrong with the forum last night' ?
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:25:09 AM »
Contrary to certain "forum experts" claiming it was the fault of "new features".. or more upgrades..  In fact.. I was doing nothing as I wasn't even home or aware of there being problems..

When I finally did get home there appeared to be a problem with my connecting to the site (i've been having these problems with my ISP lately) and some people I spoke to were able to access the forum fine. Before I hit the sack i verified this myself by modding my hosts file and was able to post fine etc etc..
So I figured maybe it'd been running slow and there were network problems.

When I got up this morning things were pear shaped.. and even with my hosts file modded I couldn't access the forum. I could see that lots of requests were waiting due to an "optimisation" query being run on the database.. Now I hadn't run one (this is actually how it snarled up last time.. but that time it was my doing.. doh!). Then I remembered the forum has a 'feature' to optimise the forum every week or so. (and before our so called "expert" chimes in again.. i should note this feature has always been there...)

Fortunately having learned how to get things going quicker after last time I stopped all this happening and sorted it out.

So now.. I, with my modified hosts file was able to access the forum again. So I turned off that optimisation option so it won't happen again either..

But no one else could access the forum..

So I opened a support incident with the host.. I knew it must be something simple so i made the subject of the incident clear that I thought it was a simple issue.. (trying to prove the rule that support people will grab simple issues and avoid the trickier ones...).. within the time it to me to go to the water cooler and back the site was running again. Seems the service called "named" that answers DNS requests for my sites wasn't alive.. must have been a side effect of the optimise/lots of requests eating up the server..

So now.. everythings good.. and it won't happen again (tm)

p.s. buy tee shirts!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:28:33 AM by Overseer »

GangstaBoogy

Re: 'What went wrong with the forum last night' ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:49:41 AM »
you suck at life
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

KURUPTION-81

Re: 'What went wrong with the forum last night' ?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:39:53 AM »
didnt understand any of that as i am awful with computers, but good work getting it sorted.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson