Author Topic: This series proves why Duncan is better than Shaq  (Read 3824 times)

GangstaBoogy

This series proves why Duncan is better than Shaq
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:15:06 PM »
Sorry to rain in on the Spurs parade, and sorry to make another Kobe/Shaq thread, but this must be said...

Take a look at Tim Duncan's achievements: rookie of the year, 2 time regular season MVP, 3 times finals MVP, 4 time NBA champion. With a resume like that, he could've easily inflated his head and taken on a big shot attitude. And he could've easily went out there and played hard only to out-due his hot young teammate. But he didn't because he's a true winner.

At this point in his career, Duncan realizes that winning championships is everything. He already has the personal accolades. Shaq never grew to that point, because to him, being "the man" was always more important than winning it all. He tore apart what could've been a deadly dynasty (and possibly could've re-written Jordan's part in NBA history) with the Orlando Magic because he didn't want Penny to be though of as equal as him. He re-enacted that same childish attitude in 2003 when Kobe was being looked at as not only the best player on the Lakers, but as the best player in the NBA.

Kobe is obviously better than Tony Parker. Unfortunately, he was never given the opportunity to go out there and be the man. He was always being forced into Shaq's fat shadow because he [Shaq] wanted all the credit for himself. Sad. Had he had a Tim Duncan mindset, that might be our team out there tonight holding up a Larry O'brien trophy.

Congratulations Tony Parker and the Spurs.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

teecee

Re: This series proves why Duncan is better than Shaq
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »
Well, Shaq in his prime was FAR more dominant and spectacular that Duncan has ever been, but DUncan is consistent, has no ego, and just gets shit done.  He doesn't give a fuck about points, being the man, etc, he just wants to play ball and win 'chips.

I agree with a lot of what you say GangstaBoogy, but it wasn't all SHaq's fault; both SHAQ AND KOBE have huge fucking ego's, were both part of the problem, whereas neither Parker or Duncan have real egos.

Kobe and Shaq have possibly the two biggest ego's in the league; if they could've put that shit aside, they would've won a couple more titles.   EVen if Kobe's story is true, why didn't Kobe make a stand and say he'd leave to if they were gonna trade Shaq?  WHy?  Because Kobe wanted to be the man, and you and i both know he PUBLICLY spoke out a few teams about how he was underutilized and wanted to be the man.......it would've came in time, like how it did with Wade and Shaq in Miami.

ANd fuck, can we just let the Lakers rest in peace?  They lost in the first fucking round, and its been Kobe this, Shaq that, Lakers, one rebound, trade me, don't trade me,  I will play on Mars if i have to, no wait........I love L.A and wanna stay :'(

wcsoldier

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »
Better ? Naw.. just the most unselfish and clever leader of all time....

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:13:08 AM »
I finally agree with BabyG 100%... :o

Well, actually, Shaq in his prime would still own Duncan in his prime...But Duncan built his legacy with brilliance. Shaq coulda' been the greatest ever...PeACe
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:14:58 AM by Now_I_Know »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:21:06 AM »
Well, Shaq in his prime was FAR more dominant and spectacular that Duncan has ever been, but DUncan is consistent, has no ego, and just gets shit done.  He doesn't give a fuck about points, being the man, etc, he just wants to play ball and win 'chips.

I agree with a lot of what you say GangstaBoogy, but it wasn't all SHaq's fault; both SHAQ AND KOBE have huge fucking ego's, were both part of the problem, whereas neither Parker or Duncan have real egos.

Kobe and Shaq have possibly the two biggest ego's in the league; if they could've put that shit aside, they would've won a couple more titles.   EVen if Kobe's story is true, why didn't Kobe make a stand and say he'd leave to if they were gonna trade Shaq?  WHy?  Because Kobe wanted to be the man, and you and i both know he PUBLICLY spoke out a few teams about how he was underutilized and wanted to be the man.......it would've came in time, like how it did with Wade and Shaq in Miami.

ANd fuck, can we just let the Lakers rest in peace?  They lost in the first fucking round, and its been Kobe this, Shaq that, Lakers, one rebound, trade me, don't trade me,  I will play on Mars if i have to, no wait........I love L.A and wanna stay :'(

The problem with what you're claiming is that Kobe was able to put his ego aside to win titles. He was willing to defer to Shaq for years, even when he was the best in the league, while staying in top shape and conditioning religiously. And why would Kobe make a stand for Shaq? Shaq wanted 30 mill a year, he wouldn't negotiate! On top of that, Shaq was always showing up fat and out of shape, taking extensive time off for bitch-made injuries, and bitching about Kobe getting too much attention and what not...Shaq played not only the Lakers, but he played himself as well...BabyG is finally right...PeACe

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 03:41:01 AM »
lmao, did you watch the 2006 finals? hahahaha

and in 2004, shaq's last year with the lakers, he was just much better than kobe in the finals, no point in stepping behind him lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:42:47 AM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »
Didn't Wade win the last NBA Finals MVP?

So Shaq is 3x MVP Finals and 1x he didn't win it by giving the young Wade the spotlight.

Where's the difference with Duncan?

teecee

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 08:02:23 AM »

So Shaq is 3x MVP Finals and 1x he didn't win it by giving the young Wade the spotlight.

Good point man; however, the thing with Duncan is he is only 31 and likely has more titles in him.  Shaq?  Not likely, unless he gets his shit together.

Still, Shaq at his peak was far more dominant than Duncan in his prime, this is not debatable. 

7even:  You are exactly right, some peeps around here continuosly forget how brutal Kobe was in that final, while Shaq was the only real consistent player in the series.  Yes, he had trouble with Wallace, but he was still the best LAker by far.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »
Shaq is still #1
(Don't worry Shaq not all of us have short term memory)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:55:38 AM by Hatesrats™ »

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 09:19:04 AM »

Good point man; however, the thing with Duncan is he is only 31 and likely has more titles in him.  Shaq?  Not likely, unless he gets his shit together.

Still, Shaq at his peak was far more dominant than Duncan in his prime, this is not debatable.

See, you guys should consider two things that made Duncan the guy he is now:

- he was drafted by a team who already had one of the best big men of all time in the roster, the Admiral. He made Duncan's life easier.
- he was (and still is) coached by a great underrated coach (talking about best coach in the League?): Greg Popovic. A coach who doesn't give a flying fuck about who you are. A coach who only cares about the Team. A coach who teachs players how to play TEAM offence and TEAM defence. A coach that if you make a mistake, you have to apologize to him first. A coach that if you don't play/train with the right attitude he kicks you in your ass. Fuck that "Zen" shit, Greg uses his kicks in the ass. He's "that" type of coach.

Those two things, mixed with the fact he's selfish by himself and that he's a silent leader makes him what he is.

Shaq lived a totally different life and career. He was signed by the L.A. Lakers in one of the most memorable moves of all time. He had the keys of L.A. in his hands. He was the boss of the most important franchise ever. And, like you guys said, when he was on his prime he was UNSTOPPABLE.

I like them both.

Let's say Duncan and Shaq are the two best big men i've ever seen playing (i know there are some people better than them in the history of the NBA, MAYBE, but i'm talking about guys i've actually watched playing, live. So guys who played in the last 20 years, basically. Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq. This one is the magic trio. If you talk about one of those three you're talking about a legend).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:21:37 AM by Antonio »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »

and in 2004, shaq's last year with the lakers, he was just much better than kobe in the finals, no point in stepping behind him lol

LOL@Shaq being much better than Kobe' in '04, when Shaq had trouble getting off the ground and grabbing boards in double digits or scoring 20 or more points. :-X And LMAO@2006, where Shaq put up games of 6 points and 5 rebounds and couldn't score over 20 points ONCE in the finals...You're funny, 7even. If Shaq was smarter, we'd be talking 6peat+. You know this.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 11:56:14 AM »

The difference is that Shaq wasn't willing to do for KOBE BRYANT what he was willing to do for DWYANE WADE...That should be self-evident to you, being a Laker fan and all....

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »

LOL@Shaq being much better than Kobe' in '04, when Shaq had trouble getting off the ground and grabbing boards in double digits or scoring 20 or more points. :-X And LMAO@2006, where Shaq put up games of 6 points and 5 rebounds and couldn't score over 20 points ONCE in the finals...You're funny, 7even. If Shaq was smarter, we'd be talking 6peat+. You know this.

I'm not talking about the 90+ games the Lakers had in 2003-04, but in the Finals he was the much better player. Kobe had that clutch 3 in Game 2, that was as good as he got in the series. Shaq was still an animal. Not as much as back in his prime, but he was still pretty damn good if you don't ignore the fact that he was like 32 playing against the best defensive team and the best big man defender in the game. Anyways, that's not so important, what's important is that it is retarded to argue that Shaq didn't defer to Kobe in the '04 Finals when he should have.

Of course Shaq couldn't contribute like back in the day in the '06 Finals, but he deferred to Wade and sometimes even to Zo when he had to. It's not like Duncan was absolutely dominating offensively this post-season, either.

I also refuse to believe that it was all Shaq's fault how the situation with Kobe didn't work out.

Shaq >> Duncan, bottom line.

What do you mean if Shaq was smarter? Was he supposed to stay with the Lakers after 04? Kobe wouldn't have re-signed, you know this. And I'm sure you're the last one who would argue that the Lakers with Shaq instead of Kobe and Odom would win 3 more titles.

You can read all the Lakerbooks you want, Kobe and Shaq had problems for many years. The only difference is as long as you are winning, you can look past that. As soon as you're not even successful, it can become a huge problem.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 12:17:46 PM »

- he was drafted by a team who already had one of the best big men of all time in the roster, the Admiral. He made Duncan's life easier.
- he was (and still is) coached by a great underrated coach (talking about best coach in the League?): Greg Popovic. A coach who doesn't give a flying fuck about who you are. A coach who only cares about the Team. A coach who teachs players how to play TEAM offence and TEAM defence. A coach that if you make a mistake, you have to apologize to him first. A coach that if you don't play/train with the right attitude he kicks you in your ass. Fuck that "Zen" shit, Greg uses his kicks in the ass. He's "that" type of coach.

Those two things, mixed with the fact he's selfish by himself and that he's a silent leader makes him what he is.

Shaq lived a totally different life and career. He was signed by the L.A. Lakers in one of the most memorable moves of all time. He had the keys of L.A. in his hands. He was the boss of the most important franchise ever. And, like you guys said, when he was on his prime he was UNSTOPPABLE.

I like them both.

Let's say Duncan and Shaq are the two best big men i've ever seen playing (i know there are some people better than them in the history of the NBA, MAYBE, but i'm talking about guys i've actually watched playing, live. So guys who played in the last 20 years, basically. Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq. This one is the magic trio. If you talk about one of those three you're talking about a legend).

NOOO. The main difference is that Duncan conditioned and kept himself in shape, and didn't have the same primaddonna "me first" attitude that Shaq had...Had Shaq kept his shit together, he could possibly be known as the greatest player to ever play the game nowadays. He unquestionably had the tools to surpass Kareem as the greatest Laker big, but dude flat out held himself back with his attitude...PeACe

teecee

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »

I like them both.

NOOO. The main difference is that Duncan conditioned and kept himself in shape, and didn't have the same primaddonna "me first" attitude that Shaq had...Had Shaq kept his shit together, he could possibly be known as the greatest player to ever play the game nowadays. He unquestionably had the tools to surpass Kareem as the greatest Laker big, but dude flat out held himself back with his attitude...PeACe

Exactly NIK, Shaq has held himself back with his attitude, much like Kobe has done.  Both are two of the best ever, but both could be even better without their massive egos.  Bitches