Author Topic: DUBCNN: Exclusive Interview With Kokane!  (Read 1228 times)

Chad Vader

Re: DUBCNN: Exclusive Interview With Kokane!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »
nice interview  :) looking forward to reading part 2  ;)

G-Funk, Aftermath and everything y'all stole our shit period so it was a difference of opinions then he had Kurupt diss me on something called "Blunts and Tangueray" me and Hutch so we replied back "Don't Bite The Funk That Feed You" and keep in mind this too "The Chronic" album completely almost sounds exactly like "Black Mafia Life" (Above The Law's album)
because I'ma tell you the real Hutch showed Dre a lot of things which Dre is a genius if Hutch never did show him.

Dre is one of the biggest persons in the game but Hutch showed him a lot of stuff,
Hutch gave him break beats on NWA and all kind of stuff but didn't get the credit.

I'm telling it like it is for the whole world to know.
This is how it go down so that was what started the beef between Ruthless and Death Row.

:sleep:

the difference between this and 187īs ranting,is that this (and everything he says in the interview) seems closer to the truth.
Kokane at least tried to tell his version of the story without saying "fuck dre" and rant bullshit all the time.
Yes,I "believe" that 187 could have "brought" him some records that had dope break beats.
But I also "believe" all the cats in the camp did so.
D.O.C brought records he wanted Dre to sample on No One Can Do It Better.

Q & A W/ the D.O.C.: from ruthless to death row
http://www.thaformula.com/doc_ruthless_to_death_row_thaformula_music.html

ThaFormula.com
- How about "It's Funky Enough?"
That was a different type track at that time. No one had really done anything like that in hip-hop at that time?

D.O.C. - Well that was me sittin' at the turntable listening to a song called "Misdemeanor" by The Silvers, and I loved it.
It was a funky little thing. It was the shit, but Dr. Dre said there is nothing I can sample. I'm not fucking with it.
A couple of days later I'm back in the studio and I pull that muthafucka back out and I'm listening to it, and I ask him again.
He said, there is not enough space or some shit, and that he can't sample the record so he can't use it.
I let it go again. Well we came back in there, and I think it was like a week later,
and I got the record and I was playing with it, and I had to beg this guy to make the fuckin' beat.
He says "okay fuck it, I'll make it."
He put the shit down and I was gonna write another rap to it, but the way he was clowning me behind it I said,
"fuck it, Ill just put this rap that I got on it, then we can work it out if it ain't right."
I had been drinkin' some beer, and smokin' some weed with Laylaw on the other side of the studio
 So that when I got back inside the studio I was feelin' kind of good and the beat sounded like some
Jamaican shit to me after Dre finished fucking with it.
That was the reason why I rapped it the way that I rapped it, because it wasn't designed to be like that.
I did that muthafuckin' song one time through, thinkin' that we were gonna go back and do it over again,
and Dre was like "fuck that, that was a one take willy."

But does that mean Dre "stole" D.O.Cīs ideas,or that D.O.C should be credited as a producer?  :P
Iīm sure Colin Wolfe,Mike Sims,Chris ""the Glove" and even Ren,Cube,Eazy,KMG,Kokane,Laylaw etc.
also brought Dre break-beats. So what it comes down to is that "this" was a collective effort.
But after all these years of bickering back and forth,what can be done to set this straight and everyone can get their credits properly?

I appriciate that Kokane was calm and collective,no ranting.  ;)
There was a lot of interesting infomation to pick up on.

The unofficial Above The Law/Kokane dubCC thread;
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=148792.0

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:40:55 AM by Chad Vader Supporter of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:03 AM »
nice interview  :) looking forward to reading part 2  ;)

G-Funk, Aftermath and everything y'all stole our shit period so it was a difference of opinions then he had Kurupt diss me on something called "Blunts and Tangueray" me and Hutch so we replied back "Don't Bite The Funk That Feed You" and keep in mind this too "The Chronic" album completely almost sounds exactly like "Black Mafia Life" (Above The Law's album)
because I'ma tell you the real Hutch showed Dre a lot of things which Dre is a genius if Hutch never did show him.

Dre is one of the biggest persons in the game but Hutch showed him a lot of stuff,
Hutch gave him break beats on NWA and all kind of stuff but didn't get the credit.

I'm telling it like it is for the whole world to know.
This is how it go down so that was what started the beef between Ruthless and Death Row.

:sleep:

the difference between this and 187īs ranting,is that this (and everything he says in the interview) seems closer to the truth.
Kokane at least tried to tell his version of the story without saying "fuck dre" and rant bullshit all the time.
Yes,I "believe" that 187 could have "brought" him some records that had dope break beats.
But I also "believe" all the cats in the camp did so.
D.O.C brought records he wanted Dre to sample on No One Can Do It Better.

Q & A W/ the D.O.C.: from ruthless to death row
http://www.thaformula.com/doc_ruthless_to_death_row_thaformula_music.html

ThaFormula.com
- How about "It's Funky Enough?"
That was a different type track at that time. No one had really done anything like that in hip-hop at that time?

D.O.C. - Well that was me sittin' at the turntable listening to a song called "Misdemeanor" by The Silvers, and I loved it.
It was a funky little thing. It was the shit, but Dr. Dre said there is nothing I can sample. I'm not fucking with it.
A couple of days later I'm back in the studio and I pull that muthafucka back out and I'm listening to it, and I ask him again.
He said, there is not enough space or some shit, and that he can't sample the record so he can't use it.
I let it go again. Well we came back in there, and I think it was like a week later,
and I got the record and I was playing with it, and I had to beg this guy to make the fuckin' beat.
He says "okay fuck it, I'll make it."
He put the shit down and I was gonna write another rap to it, but the way he was clowning me behind it I said,
"fuck it, Ill just put this rap that I got on it, then we can work it out if it ain't right."
I had been drinkin' some beer, and smokin' some weed with Laylaw on the other side of the studio
 So that when I got back inside the studio I was feelin' kind of good and the beat sounded like some
Jamaican shit to me after Dre finished fucking with it.
That was the reason why I rapped it the way that I rapped it, because it wasn't designed to be like that.
I did that muthafuckin' song one time through, thinkin' that we were gonna go back and do it over again,
and Dre was like "fuck that, that was a one take willy."

But does that mean Dre "stole" D.O.Cīs ideas,or that D.O.C should be credited as a producer?  :P
Iīm sure Colin Wolfe,Mike Sims,Chris ""the Glove" and even Ren,Cube,Eazy,KMG,Kokane,Laylaw etc.
also brought Dre break-beats. So what it comes down to is that "this" was a collective effort.
But after all these years of bickering back and forth,what can be done to set this straight and everyone can get their credits properly?

I appriciate that Kokane was calm and collective,no ranting.  ;)
There was a lot of interesting infomation to pick up on.

The unofficial Above The Law/Kokane dubCC thread;
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=148792.0

agreed he handled it better than Hutch, but like you said, i don't think hutch deserved more credits based on the arguments of Kokane.

and the comparison of the two albums to back up his statement was kind of weak imo  :P

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 07:25:19 AM »
See this is what i'm talking about.  Another interview done without letting any of us submit questions.  I wanted to ask Kokane some questions about Soopafly.  He worked with The Man for 2 years back in the Doggystyle All-Stars days.  I'm sure he can give us some insight on The Man that none of us ever knew about.  Please let me know the next time you interview someone who has worked with Soopafly!

Johnny B

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »
See this is what i'm talking about.  Another interview done without letting any of us submit questions.  I wanted to ask Kokane some questions about Soopafly.  He worked with The Man for 2 years back in the Doggystyle All-Stars days.  I'm sure he can give us some insight on The Man that none of us ever knew about.  Please let me know the next time you interview someone who has worked with Soopafly!

wow. :o

have you asked Soopafly out yet?

acgrundy

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »
cool to hear some of that old history.  props on the interview!

DJSpin

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »

its a kokane interview ...not soopafly..

but yeah i wouldve liked to submit some questions too...props on the interview!!!!   Ooowww

LazyLatino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
Good shit, dope track..is it supposed to end like that instantly dough?

Peace

LazyL

Diggfinger

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »
Good shit, dope track..is it supposed to end like that instantly dough?

Peace

LazyL

they talked for over an hour, so parts 2 and 3 are coming....

Wonder Koka will say about the Suga Kane and Smell My Finger record (Kokane\George Clinton), if there is still a chance those records will drop...

Lazar

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 11:31:41 AM »
Interesting read, expecially the thing with Snoop

The Predator

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 05:10:02 AM »
This is wicked, getting the stories for the classic era of west coast hip-hop from the players involved.

so 187 handed Dre break beats n stuff for NWA records also.
Dre should hire 187 on his current production team if that nigga still has ideas, coz Dre seems to have always taken his ideas to the next level as only he could.

Bring on part II n III, props!

Chad Vader

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 06:39:20 AM »
Dre should hire 187 on his current production team if that nigga still has ideas,
coz Dre seems to have always taken his ideas to the next level as only he could.

well,thatīs Dreīs talent ainīt it?  ;)
If Dre would bring 187 around again,187 probably would demand credits in BOLD letters.  :P :laugh:

(made up) credits for Detox.  :P
Produced by Dr.Dre.
Special thanx to Big hutch for bringing me all the break beats.
You created G-Funk and Aftermath was your idea.
and ohhhh I got my ideas for
Niggaz4Life and The Chronic from you.
Thanx  ;)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:58:57 AM by Chad Vader Supporter of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
Dre should hire 187 on his current production team if that nigga still has ideas,
coz Dre seems to have always taken his ideas to the next level as only he could.

If Dre would bring 187 around again,187 probably would demand credits in BOLD letters.  :P :laugh:

Produced by Dr.Dre.
and ohhhh I got my ideas for Niggaz4Life and The Chronic from you.
Thanx  ;)

LOL

anyway, yeah Dre likes to feed off of others and likes to have the co-producers  feed off of eachother so what's wrong with that  :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:03:47 AM by Dre-Day - Officer of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

Chad Vader

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 07:03:46 AM »

Produced by Dr.Dre.
Thanx  ;)

LOL

but Dre likes to feed off of others and like the co-producers to feed off of eachother so what's wrong with that  :P

^^^ What do you mean? ^^^

-Personally I would love Dre to work with Cold 187 (and the old team; Colin Wolfe,Mike Sims,The Glove,Greg Royal etc.).
So I got no problem with them joining forces again.

-You know that I was sarcastic with my credits comment  :P ;) :laugh:

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 07:06:41 AM »

Produced by Dr.Dre.
Thanx  ;)

LOL

but Dre likes to feed off of others and like the co-producers to feed off of eachother so what's wrong with that  :P

-Personally I would love Dre to work with Cold 187 (and the old team; Colin Wolfe,Mike Sims,The Glove,Greg Royal etc.).

i'm just basically quoting what Dre once said  ;)
not sure if this was from the LA times interview :laugh:

indirectly i was also pointing out that 187 isn't the only producer with ideas  :laugh:

so my response wasn't to you, as we're on the same page ( and yeah i understood the sarcasm, hence the "lol" comment  ;) ).

Chad Vader

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »

Produced by Dr.Dre.
Thanx  ;)

LOL

i'm just basically quoting what Dre once said  ;)
not sure if this was from the LA times interview :laugh:

indirectly i was also pointing out that 187 isn't the only producer with ideas  :laugh:

so my response wasn't to you, as we're on the same page ( and yeah i understood the sarcasm, hence the "lol" comment  ;) ).

ok  ;)
Hutch has or at least used to have some great ideas.
Most of the Above The Law albums (Living Like Hustlers,Black mafia Life,Uncle Sams Curse,Legends)
and the first Kokane album (Who Am I?) is all personal classics.
Time will reveal and Funk Upon a rhyme is cool too,his work after Legends is so,so....  :P

Anyway,one of Dreīs greatest talents is to put together the pieces and finish it up.
I think what Predator meant was that he want some of that "old" magic back.
The closest we will probably get to the "old" magic is the album The D.O.C got plans for.  ;)