Author Topic: iPHONE 2 CRAZE > CRACK EPIDEMIC OF THE 80'S  (Read 274 times)

MarkCruz

iPHONE 2 CRAZE > CRACK EPIDEMIC OF THE 80'S
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
AT&T to cut the price of Apple’s new iPhone

By Scott Moritz, writer

AT&T (T) is planning to put some extra shine on the even sleeker new Apple (AAPL) iPhone.

When the 3G iPhone is introduced this summer, AT&T, the exclusive U.S. iPhone sales partner with Apple, will cut the price by as much as $200, according to a person familiar with the strategy.

AT&T is preparing to subsidize $200 of the cost of a new iPhone, bringing the price down to $199 for customers who sign two-year contracts, the source says. Apple is expected to have two versions of the new iPhone, an 8-gigabyte-memory and a 16-gigabyte-memory model with price tags widely expected to be $399 and $499.

AT&T and Apple declined to comment.

At $200, the iPhone would be within reach of a much wider consumer market and give AT&T a strong magnet to pull lucrative customers away from rivals like Verizon Wireless (VZ), Sprint (S) and T-Mobile (DT). The $200 rebate or subsidy would be limited to AT&T customers and not available through Apple’s stores. The new iPhone sold by AT&T will likely be locked or programmed so buyers can’t take the cheaper iPhone to another phone service.

Subsidies of $100 to $200 are common in the U.S. phone market, where people buy their phones from their carriers. Lowering the consumer cost of the phone to win two-year subscribers is considered a small investment with a quick payoff. The average monthly wireless bill is around $50, so a phone company can recoup the phone’s cost in a matter of months.

The average iPhone user however, runs up a $100 tab each month due to the higher priced data and calling plan. This would give AT&T an even quicker payback on its $200 outlay. But AT&T doesn’t get to keep all the money it collects from its iPhone users. Unlike most other phonemakers (but like BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (RIMM)) Apple has a revenue-sharing arrangement that requires telcos like AT&T to pay somewhere between 9% and 25% of the money collected each month from iPhone users.

The new iPhone is expected to be released on the one-year anniversary of the original iPhone debut June 27 or thereabouts. A few weeks prior to that launch, Apple is planning to stop supplies of the older model iPhone, according to the source. This will help clear out inventory and stir up demand for the new device. It will also attempt to avoid the public relations pratfall Apple made when it cut the price of the iPhone without warning last year. To soothe the ire among people who bought the iPhone just before the sudden markdown, Apple issued store credits.

A few details about the new iPhone have also been confirmed by the source. The new iPhone will be 2.5 mm thinner than the 11.7 mm original. The iPhone will also have a GPS chip for navigation and other location-based services.

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/29/att-to-cut-the-price-of-apples-new-iphone/

h2k4

Re: iPHONE 2 CRAZE > CRACK EPIDEMIC OF THE 80'S
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »

By Scott Moritz, writer

AT&T (T) is planning to put some extra shine on the even sleeker new Apple (AAPL) iPhone.

When the 3G iPhone is introduced this summer, AT&T, the exclusive U.S. iPhone sales partner with Apple, will cut the price by as much as $200, according to a person familiar with the strategy.

AT&T is preparing to subsidize $200 of the cost of a new iPhone, bringing the price down to $199 for customers who sign two-year contracts, the source says. Apple is expected to have two versions of the new iPhone, an 8-gigabyte-memory and a 16-gigabyte-memory model with price tags widely expected to be $399 and $499.

At $200, the iPhone would be within reach of a much wider consumer market and give AT&T a strong magnet to pull lucrative customers away from rivals like Verizon Wireless (VZ), Sprint (S) and T-Mobile (DT). The $200 rebate or subsidy would be limited to AT&T customers and not available through Apple’s stores. The new iPhone sold by AT&T will likely be locked or programmed so buyers can’t take the cheaper iPhone to another phone service.

Subsidies of $100 to $200 are common in the U.S. phone market, where people buy their phones from their carriers. Lowering the consumer cost of the phone to win two-year subscribers is considered a small investment with a quick payoff. The average monthly wireless bill is around $50, so a phone company can recoup the phone’s cost in a matter of months.

The average iPhone user however, runs up a $100 tab each month due to the higher priced data and calling plan. This would give AT&T an even quicker payback on its $200 outlay. But AT&T doesn’t get to keep all the money it collects from its iPhone users. Unlike most other phonemakers (but like BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (RIMM)) Apple has a revenue-sharing arrangement that requires telcos like AT&T to pay somewhere between 9% and 25% of the money collected each month from iPhone users.

The new iPhone is expected to be released on the one-year anniversary of the original iPhone debut June 27 or thereabouts. A few weeks prior to that launch, Apple is planning to stop supplies of the older model iPhone, according to the source. This will help clear out inventory and stir up demand for the new device. It will also attempt to avoid the public relations pratfall Apple made when it cut the price of the iPhone without warning last year. To soothe the ire among people who bought the iPhone just before the sudden markdown, Apple issued store credits.

A few details about the new iPhone have also been confirmed by the source. The new iPhone will be 2.5 mm thinner than the 11.7 mm original. The iPhone will also have a GPS chip for navigation and other location-based services.

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/29/att-to-cut-the-price-of-apples-new-iphone/

Saw this before.  I guess I'm going to being standing in line for this the night before. :grumpy:

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »

By Scott Moritz, writer

Saw this before.  I guess I'm going to being standing in line for this the night before. :grumpy:

for a PHONE?  damn. 

**The iPhone will also have a GPS chip for navigation and other location-based services.**

FUCK THAT. 

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

h2k4

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:18 PM »
for a PHONE?  damn. 

**The iPhone will also have a GPS chip for navigation and other location-based services.**

FUCK THAT. 

That's how it was with the first iPhone.  People are crazy.  Still not sure if I will wait in line for it over night but it's not like I have to wake up early for that 9 am class so...

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:07:28 AM »
you gona cop that, KAIN??

MarkCruz

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »

YEP I GOT THE 8GB IPHONE NOW, IT'S ALREADY CRACK

CAN'T WAIT TO UPGRADE TO 3G, 16GB, ETC...

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:18:08 AM »
Shit i hope i can find it locally for cheaper now lol, im gettin tired of my phone. I had the iPhone for awhile before but i ended up selling it cause i didnt use all the features and the speaker on it SUCKS DICKKKK. I wonder if they fixed that. I might cop it again!!!

MarkCruz

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »
Shit i hope i can find it locally for cheaper now lol, im gettin tired of my phone. I had the iPhone for awhile before but i ended up selling it cause i didnt use all the features and the speaker on it SUCKS DICKKKK. I wonder if they fixed that. I might cop it again!!!

WELL IT'S NOT GONNA BE A BOOMBOX BUT THIS TIME AROUND I HOPE THEY INCLUDE 2 SPEAKERS.

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:26:53 AM »

YEP I GOT THE 8GB IPHONE NOW, IT'S ALREADY CRACK

CAN'T WAIT TO UPGRADE TO 3G, 16GB, ETC...

dope, i got the same one...when you get it, let me know how it is.

WELL IT'S NOT GONNA BE A BOOMBOX BUT THIS TIME AROUND I HOPE THEY INCLUDE 2 SPEAKERS.

lol yeh, i hope they upgrade the speaker for it ;D

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:28:47 AM »
btw, i've installed every speaker volume APP & still can't notice a difference lol. Is yours any louder??

MarkCruz

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:37 AM »
btw, i've installed every speaker volume APP & still can't notice a difference lol. Is yours any louder??

NOPE :P

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:48:12 AM »
lol ight...I installed some Summerboards but how do i use them?? Also, what are some other dope APPS ??

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:21:22 AM »
I'm coppin asap.  I just hope the trusty razr can make it till then.

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
I'm coppin asap.  I just hope the trusty razr can make it till then.

Lmao. The only thing about the iPhone in Canada is that we got the most shittiest data plans on this earth LOL. We dont got that unlimited shit like the states do. If we were to have something unlimited we would be paying like $200 a month, fuckin gay!!!

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »
i will probrably be in line like i was on June 29th, 2007 for the first one... but depends if its worth the upgrade from this iphone i have.... hmm ... anyway should be awsome ... this phone is just getting better and better....