Author Topic: Report: Lakers approach Kings about Artest  (Read 589 times)

GENERIK

• 'G'
  • THE DARK TRAIL
Report: Lakers approach Kings about Artest
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
Report: Lakers approach Kings about Artest
by FOXSports.com

Updated: July 10, 2008, 2:47 PM EST

The Lakers' toughness was repeatedly called into question during their NBA Finals loss to the Celtics. According to one report, they may think Ron Artest is the answer to that problem.The Sacramento Bee reports that the Los Angeles Lakers recently called the Kings regarding the availability of the All-Star forward, citing an NBA source. According to the paper, Lamar Odom was believed to be offered in return.

As of Tuesday evening, the Kings had not yet responded to the offer. Of course, Kings president Geoff Petrie declined to confirm whether the offer even existed.

"Right now, (Artest is) just a terrific player to have on your roster," Petrie said. "I don't really have any speculation one way or another (about his future). We'll see what other things — not specific to Ron — but if there's some other way we can improve the team or change the team, we'll take a look at it."

The Kings would need to include another player to make the salaries match up in a Odom-for-Artest deal. It is expected that Sacramento would insist on Kenny Thomas — and the $18 million remaining on his existing contract — being included in any potential deal.

The Kings' expected payroll is currently very close to the NBA's luxury tax limit ($71.15 million) and the team has stated that they do not plan to sign any further free agents.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Report: Lakers approach Kings about Artest
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »
I really hope this isn't true...I'd love to have Artest, but not at the cost of a Lamar Odom.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »
I really hope this isn't true...I'd love to have Artest, but not at the cost of a Lamar Odom.

Yeah because of Artests mental issues but Ronnie is so much better than Odom that it might be worth it to take the risk.

DIP DIP SET SET

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:47:18 PM »

Yeah because of Artests mental issues but Ronnie is so much better than Odom that it might be worth it to take the risk.

LMAO@"so much better"...it has nothing to do with his mental issues, cuz I know Phil and Kobe can keep that in check. Odom is our primary rebounder and playmaker...I don't wanna see Artest chucking up 3 point shots on a fast break and disrupting our offense like he's very capable of doing. There's a reason the Kings played better with Salmons in the lineup...if we take on Artest, I want him to be mainly a defender with very limitted offense running through him. I'd really hate to lose Odom. He's been a huge part of any success we've had.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »
^^Dude Artest was alot more in check w/ his offensive game last year,  I watched alot of Kings game and my boy MoSav watched every single Kings game and he will also tell you that although he still is out of control at times he was better with his shot selection last year.  If you guys have Kobe, Gasol and Artest there is no way you dont win the championship.

DIP DIP SET SET

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »

LMAO@"so much better"...it has nothing to do with his mental issues, cuz I know Phil and Kobe can keep that in check. Odom is our primary rebounder and playmaker...I don't wanna see Artest chucking up 3 point shots on a fast break and disrupting our offense like he's very capable of doing. There's a reason the Kings played better with Salmons in the lineup...if we take on Artest, I want him to be mainly a defender with very limitted offense running through him. I'd really hate to lose Odom. He's been a huge part of any success we've had.

LOL you're either overestimating the influence of Kobe and Phil or you're seriously underestimating the extent to which Artest is fucking nuts. I'll guess the latter as there is no way in hell you could possibly be accused of underestimating anything Lakers. Artest on the Lakers would be the beginning of the end of this incarnation of the Lakers.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
^^Dude Artest was alot more in check w/ his offensive game last year,  I watched alot of Kings game and my boy MoSav watched every single Kings game and he will also tell you that although he still is out of control at times he was better with his shot selection last year.  If you guys have Kobe, Gasol and Artest there is no way you dont win the championship.

I much rather have a front line of Bynum, Gasol, and Odom...The Laker staff should definitely evaluate that line-up and see how it works out before proposing any trades for the nutcase.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »

LOL you're either overestimating the influence of Kobe and Phil or you're seriously underestimating the extent to which Artest is fucking nuts. I'll guess the latter as there is no way in hell you could possibly be accused of underestimating anything Lakers. Artest on the Lakers would be the beginning of the end of this incarnation of the Lakers.

Two words...DENNIS RODMAN.

Artest wants to win a title, and if he is happy in his shoes (which he would be in LA), I don't see him creating as much of an uproar.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »

Artest wants to win a title, and if he is happy in his shoes (which he would be in LA), I don't see him creating as much of an uproar.

dont get me wrong, he's a hell of a talent, but he thinks he's better than he is and he is insane. If I were a Laker fan I would much rather keep Odom.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
Odom isn't that good NIK.  stop overrating him, hes decent but not much better, most Laker fans dont even like him on the team

DIP DIP SET SET

WestCoasta

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Odom isn't that good NIK.  stop overrating him, hes decent but not much better, most Laker fans dont even like him on the team

Odom is cool, he has one year left on the contract, I'd keep him

it's just annoying when he takes off and goes for a dunk and then he's scared to do it again the next time

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
Odom isn't that good.   hes decent.  most Laker fans dont even like him on the team

slap yourself

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
I'd rather keep Odom and steal Posey. Though I agree with NIK (oh shit... this is soooooooooooooooooo weird) that I would rather keep both Odom and Sasha and see how Bynum turns out. IF, and I mean IF we need toughness mid-season then pull the trigger on a trade, but for now, lets see how Bynum does.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »

exactly, he was under control all year, he just wana win i guarantee he doesnt pull bs on the lakers...And he doesnt play outa control when hes got Kobe on his team, thats just my feeling. But yes his shot selection was much better not to mention his best Fg% 3pt% and Ppg were teh best of his career this past year. Id love this trade, only because Artest wants to leave, otherwise, id rather keep Ron.
Possible Lineup

Beno PG
Kmart SG
Salmons Sf
Lamar PF
Hawes C

thats what id like
but im sure Salmons would come off the bench and Mikey would be the 4, but i could see the lineup up top being our lineup down the stretch, much like last year when artest would play 4 down the stretch, with Cisco actually at the 1 alot at the end last year giving us a lot of long players and athletic players at onetime

The Best of 3 Worlds