Poll

Who made the "W" famous....2Pac, or the Westside Connection?

2Pac
28 (59.6%)
Westside Connection
19 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Who made the "W" what it was?  (Read 2019 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Who made the "W" what it was?
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
Most of us know that Kam "invented" the "W" to represent Watts, and that Ice Cube flipped it and used it for "Westside." In 95-96, it seemed like everybody in L.A. was throwin up the "W", and it almost became novelty to an extent.

After talking to younger rap fans and those from other regions, it seems as if most of them feel as if 2Pac either "created" the sign, or as if he is the reason it was so big. He threw it up on the cover of "All eyez on me" which was a much bigger album than Westside Connection's was. I could be biased since I was in L.A., and wasn't able to see what the rest of the nation knew about...but I feel that the hand sign, along with the "Westsiiiiiiiiide" chant that you heard on all of the WSC's songs is what made the term/sign so major. I remember the episode when they came on Jamie Foxx, and everybody on the show was throwin it up and yelling it.

So in your opinion...who made the "W" hand sign and even the chant what it was? Pac, or the Westside Connection?

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Who made the "W" what it was?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »
Id like to see that show

Westsisde connection

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »
Speaking from outside the West coast, those up on game know it came from Cube and Westside Connection.

But a whole bunch of mainstream fans (and even people who don't like rap) know what the 'W' is, and that's solely because of Pac IMO.

penenstamp

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:23:08 AM »
If it wasn't for 2Pac you wouldn't be seeing little 10-year-olds throw up the W like they know what it stands for.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:32:28 AM »
Speaking from outside the West coast, those up on game know it came from Cube and Westside Connection.

But a whole bunch of mainstream fans (and even people who don't like rap) know what the 'W' is, and that's solely because of Pac IMO.

My words exactly

kemizt

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:35:35 AM »
i still dont fully understand, is this one or 2 questions ?....Eye think the West Side Hand Jesture was a Gang-sign far before Cube took it and made it mainstream. and being that he was affiliated with C's and B's people still took it as a gang thing. Until Pac made it as a whole Coast thing, and since people liked Pac before he started throwin it up, they felt it was okay because Pac didnt bang........in their eyes. but Pac also said he was throwin it up for WAR but he said West everytime, so i dont know im a play the Quiji board tonite to find out the truth. 8)

oh yeah speaking of the WEST COAST..... GOLDEN BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

We Fly High

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »
haha kinda related, but off on a tangent..

Pac always threw up the W with his ring finger under the middle finger..

I noticed Cube, WC,  and a lot of the other OG's always threw it up with the middle finger under the ring finger..
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:06:03 AM by We Fly High »

penenstamp

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »

I noticed Cube, WC,  and a lot of the other OG's always threw it up with the middle finger under the ring finger..

maybe he couldn't do it. i myself had to practice quite a bit to get my middle finger under my ring finger without using my other hand :P

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »

LMAO, what the hell?? I NEEEVER noticed that WSC did it like that...woow! I've been doin it "Pac's way" since 96, and I didn't even see him throw it up! That's comedy though

LOS SKANLESS NATIVE

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

Westside Connection def blew that shit the fuck up but so did my nigga 2pacalypse.

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »

maybe he couldn't do it. i myself had to practice quite a bit to get my middle finger under my ring finger without using my other hand :P
isn't it easier to do it the "WSC" way?
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

El the Self Image

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • It's 10:30 somewhere!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
Most of us know that Kam "invented" the "W" to represent Watts, and that Ice Cube flipped it and used it for "Westside." In 95-96, it seemed like everybody in L.A. was throwin up the "W", and it almost became novelty to an extent.

After talking to younger rap fans and those from other regions, it seems as if most of them feel as if 2Pac either "created" the sign, or as if he is the reason it was so big. He threw it up on the cover of "All eyez on me" which was a much bigger album than Westside Connection's was. I could be biased since I was in L.A., and wasn't able to see what the rest of the nation knew about...but I feel that the hand sign, along with the "Westsiiiiiiiiide" chant that you heard on all of the WSC's songs is what made the term/sign so major. I remember the episode when they came on Jamie Foxx, and everybody on the show was throwin it up and yelling it.

So in your opinion...who made the "W" hand sign and even the chant what it was? Pac, or the Westside Connection?

Actually buddy, at the time (95/96...) Westside Connection was selling more than Pac, and as you stated in your monologue, Kam came up with "W" to represent Watts.... seems to me like you answered your own question......

But Westside Connection was responsible for the proliferation of the "W" hand jesture...... They most likely did not invent it, but they made it a mainstream thing.....
-Él
Peace and Blessings,
-Él the Self Image
Parkin Lot Drunks!
eltheself@gmail.com
http://www.myspace.com/eltheself
http://www.myspace.com/imapld

FREE MIXTAPE, OUT NOW, GET IT!

westsiderider323

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »
people been throwin up tha W since mayb late 70s

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »

isn't it easier to do it the "WSC" way?
no...

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »

Actually buddy, at the time (95/96...) Westside Connection was selling more than Pac, and as you stated in your monologue, Kam came up with "W" to represent Watts.... seems to me like you answered your own question......

But Westside Connection was responsible for the proliferation of the "W" hand jesture...... They most likely did not invent it, but they made it a mainstream thing.....
-Él

Not quite....All Eyez on me sold a LOT more than Bow down did. I told what I felt my answer was, but wanted to know what people outside of California felt.

I would think that neither WSC or Kam "invented" the sign itself, or were the first to ever use it.