Author Topic: Every season from The Wire has been strong but...  (Read 837 times)

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Every season from The Wire has been strong but...
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:00:56 PM »
I miss Avon & Stringer (no homo). I'm on season 5 right now & Marlo, Joe, Snoop etc. are good but it just doesn't feel right without Avon & Stringer. I was surprised when they took Stringer out & put Avon in jail, I thought these dudes were gonna be in this till the end. They're always gonna be the real villians of The Wire, atleast in my book. Them 2 & their whole crew>>>>all them other dudes.

Cali Climate

Re: Every season from The Wire has been strong but...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »
Yeah well, it's not a show about people, it's a show about the decline of the American city. They were good characters, but the tide of the underworld doesn't recognize favorites. That's the beauty of the show.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »
^Yeah I know what you mean, some of my favorite characters got taken away from the show (Wallace, Bodie etc.) to make it look more realistic & all that. I just thought Avon & Stringer would be there to the end (as main villians). Imagine the cops without Mcnulty, I feel like the bad guys lost alot without them 2.

Okka

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »
I miss Avon & Stringer (no homo). I'm on season 5 right now & Marlo, Joe, Snoop etc. are good but it just doesn't feel right without Avon & Stringer. I was surprised when they took Stringer out & put Avon in jail, I thought these dudes were gonna be in this till the end. They're always gonna be the real villians of The Wire, atleast in my book. Them 2 & their whole crew>>>>all them other dudes.

Hell yeah, it's a shame Bodie got shot in the head too (but that scene was real dope though.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:19:15 AM by Okka »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »
^Yeah I know what you mean, some of my favorite characters got taken away from the show (Wallace, Bodie etc.) to make it look more realistic & all that. I just thought Avon & Stringer would be there to the end (as main villians). Imagine the cops without Mcnulty, I feel like the bad guys lost alot without them 2.

The cops were with out McNulty for almost all of season 4.

I do recommend you stop watching right now though. Season 5 goes from bad to worse. I just ignore it exists. The show ended with season 4 in my mind.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:55:10 AM »
Yeah well, it's not a show about people, it's a show about the decline of the American city. They were good characters, but the tide of the underworld doesn't recognize favorites. That's the beauty of the show.

Exactly. Any other show would have to bend over for the studio they're signed with in hopes to reach a bigger audience, but instead HBO let David Simon & Ed Burns do their thing.

ABN

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:26 AM »
shit i got tired of The Wire years ago, but i´ll still check it out from time to time when it´s on.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »
thank god i wasnt on my own, just watched ALL of the wire, in like 3 weeks too, i was hooked, wow season 5 was a let down, that entire Mcnulty, homeless stabing thing, was nauseatingly bad, there was things going on that were good, but every time it came back to that made the entire thing really a drag to watch, i loved 3 & 4 best, the docks were good, and 1 was necessary to set things up (i like how 3&4 just jumped in to action) , but yea sick show

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
thank god i wasnt on my own, just watched ALL of the wire, in like 3 weeks too, i was hooked, wow season 5 was a let down, that entire Mcnulty, homeless stabing thing, was nauseatingly bad, there was things going on that were good, but every time it came back to that made the entire thing really a drag to watch, i loved 3 & 4 best, the docks were good, and 1 was necessary to set things up (i like how 3&4 just jumped in to action) , but yea sick show

There were two very well done parts to season 5 but both were ruined in the end; the newspaper scenes were mundane but brilliant, until they ran too far with the Scott storyline connected to the McNulty shit, and the Omar/Marlo feud that ended in the worst death of a character in TV history.

You can't build a season as a lesser quality action show and give us a high brow style ending. No one wants to see Steven Seagal die at the end and no one wants to Michael Corleone single handedly kill the Barzini family with an AK. What the Wire did with season 5 was double bad.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »
i didnt mind omar dying, i mean dude was like superman at one point , but i agree with you in the way that he died was anti-climatic as fuck, funny as it may be, i didnt believe he was dead, even in the morgue, when the cards got misplaced, and they zoomed in on his face, i was still expecting him to wake up, cause it was so sudden to rub him out like that.... with the paper, wasnt the season supposed to focus on that (in the way that they focus on anything, still focusing on everything in general), i think they could have done more about the whole thing, .. and call me a cynic, but the bubbles news story, at a time so much crazy shit was going down, i dont believe would have got printed, let alone a front page

Muhfukka

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
great show, they need to release it on dvd for a non insane price

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:36:36 AM »
and call me a cynic, but the bubbles news story, at a time so much crazy shit was going down, i dont believe would have got printed, let alone a front page

I don't know man, newspapers always have these type of stories that get front page coverage.  Recently, Steve Lopes' article on that homeless musician was a front page article, even series and that was turned into that Jamie Foxx and Downey Jr movie.   

Jome

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »
great show, they need to release it on dvd for a non insane price

??? All seasons available for a cut-price over here.. been out for ages. Even the full series combo set.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:25 PM »
i didnt mind omar dying, i mean dude was like superman at one point , but i agree with you in the way that he died was anti-climatic as fuck, funny as it may be, i didnt believe he was dead, even in the morgue, when the cards got misplaced, and they zoomed in on his face, i was still expecting him to wake up, cause it was so sudden to rub him out like that.... with the paper, wasnt the season supposed to focus on that (in the way that they focus on anything, still focusing on everything in general), i think they could have done more about the whole thing, .. and call me a cynic, but the bubbles news story, at a time so much crazy shit was going down, i dont believe would have got printed, let alone a front page

Have him die sure, but he jumped out of the building and he had a huge limp for the rest of the season, except in the scene where he walks into the store he has no limp what so ever. For that reason alone it was ridiculous. I didn't need some huge shoot out, just simple common sense.

Jaydc

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
Marlo was my favorite character from the show other then omar of course.