Author Topic: Was Pac really as overrated as they say??  (Read 1408 times)

blockstar

• 'G'
Re: Was Pac really as overrated as they say??
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »
tracks like dear mama and keep ya head up still bring goose bumps to me when hearing it.

pac is the GOAT nobody comes close.
today is mtv jams bay day and they played so many classic pac tracks. just makes you appricate him more

outlaw77

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
lol and my last point to back my opinion is that of an ARTIST vs LYRICIST . what does being the best lyricist mean if you pick wack beats , features , hooks , and or subject matter for your album ? i'll tell you . . NOTHING . a great ARTIST is well rounded , knows what he sounds good rapping on , next to , and about so when his album drops its FIRE . a lyricist drops an album that is lyrically great but everything else may be way off course so in the end even though he rips most of the album it is still OVERRALL wack . being a great artist is FAR more important than being a great lyricist . yet again why i say HELL NO 2PAC SHAKUR wasnt overrated , he was the GREATEST RAP ARTIST EVER . thanks for reading .      

You got it

THANKS MAN

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
he was dope, but no greatest of all time.

who wuz better then Pac, Gucci Mane?

for me; Ice Cube, Scarface...

Invincible

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »

I think thats getting a bit played out now.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 07:05:38 PM »
Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me, Makaveli, 2Pacalypse Now >>> insert any other four albums made by one artist.

Sparegeez

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
HE RAPPED ABOUT THE REAL SHIT POOR/MINORITIES IN THE HOOD LIVED THROUGH. THE FIRST REAL MOTHAFUCKA TO DO THAT

Jimmy H.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
I don't necessarily think Pac is overrated. The guy could write music better than any rap artist of his time. Problem I've got is people who think everything in rap starts and ends with Pac.  He's one of my favorites of all-time but a lot of fans definitely have trouble seperating their personal feelings in the way they relate to his legacy. Like many deceased icons from the past, people tend to remember and overcompensate their strengths while having selective memory with their weaknesses. Pac was definitely unique and one of a kind and there will never be another like him but that doesn't automatically make him someone who is "above debate". It's all in what you relate to.

I think the biggest thing that bugs me in regards to Pac fans after he died was how his discography suddenly became "classic" or how the comparisons seemed to move away from the actual content and more about how the content related to the artist. I can remember an argument of "Doggystyle" versus "All Eyez On Me" that pretty clearly turned into a popularity contest between Pac and Snoop. Issues of how much material was recorded over what length of time or who stayed truer to their content came up but seemed like smoke screens. People who say AEOM is unquestionably the greatest hip-hop album of all-time sort of seem like the kind of fans who most validate the "Pac being overrated" theory. All Eyez has some awesome material and the fact that it was recorded so quickly is definitely a testament to what an exceptional and very driven artist Pac was. It was groundbreaking in being that it was one of the first double albums in hip-hop history and worked as sort of an introduction to a new era in hip-hop music but historical signifance is one thing and overall album quality is another. If it took Pac three years to record and wasn't the first double album and came out on a label other than Death Row would it be any less of an important album? "All Eyez" is the West Coast fan's wet dream. It's far less balanced with its content than his previous album but it's full of West Coast heavyweights and has some of Pac's best songs. It's easily to be distracted from the album's overall quality when there are so many phenominal tracks spread over two discs. I think "Me Against The World" and "Makaveli" both did a much better job when it came to the orginazation and selection of the track listing. "All Eyez" is a four-star album that so many people are convinced is a five.

Just my two cents on the subject.

JD Bastin

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
makaveli was the best rap cd ever made

Jimmy H.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 08:20:50 PM »
HE RAPPED ABOUT THE REAL SHIT POOR/MINORITIES IN THE HOOD LIVED THROUGH. THE FIRST REAL MOTHAFUCKA TO DO THAT
But what's "real"? Did you give equal credit to millionaires who make music about being happy, rich, and having fun? Reality seems like it only works in art when people directly relate to it. Someone's "reality" might be to be self-serving or prejudice or negative. Is it the same thing? More over, does art have to be reflective of reality for it to be important? Is "Flavor of Love" a more significant television show than something like "Star Trek" or "X-Files"?

Job starring as King Of Zamunda

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • King Of Zamunda
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Depends what you listen to hip-hop for.
Pac has more levels than most, IMO... He don't have the multi's & punches that most think = a "lyricist".
But IMO, Pac's words in song's ment for thought kill 99% of all multi/punchline rappers.
+ his music has longevity, even today decade plus into his death his songs still sound crisp.

I'm bias, Been down w/Pac since his introduction to me thru being a Digital Underground fan.
I have yet to see an artist since who's albums have got better as he progressed thru his career.
(2Pacalypse Now - Makaveli: The Don Killuminati/The 7 Day Theory)

Overrated, maybe only if you were introduced to him after '96.
(Then you were spoon fed, But many of us already had him up there regardless.)

Death just forced most.
couldnt have said it better
HOW TO ROB DUBCC PART 1--> http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=227551.0
"I killed a man who looked like me, whose mother and father looked like my mother and father...and nothing happened," Lawrence Fishburne in Deep Cover

"I would share the definition of balling
with you white folks but no...
the game is to be sold not told
so fuck you." - Pac

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »
I don't like threads like this just because its to give people over sea's security in their American Rap/Hip-Hop Artist. 8)
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »
There's no right or wrong answer to anything anyone said since it's all opinion.. here's my take though..

If you were to compare his work to others who else could work as fast with that much depth along with doing all the movies, music videos, appearences..

These people that wanna question these types of things need to look at other popular artists and compare.. I don't see Jay Z, TI, or Lil Wayne doing anything anywhere near what Pac did in terms of quality and quantity while into additionally persuing other avenues like movies.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:16:36 PM by soopapriest »

Leave the mastering to the experts and people who originally did it..

http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/engineers/grundman.html

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
he is the greatest rapper ever...I don't know about overrated or anything...but there's other greats that I would consider as well...like Nas for example.

Al Bundy

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »

I think thats getting a bit played out now.

it doesn't matter to people who are stuck in a phallic stage

There's no right or wrong answer to anything anyone said since it's all opinion..

most people on here can't figure that concept out.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
Depends what you listen to hip-hop for.
Pac has more levels than most, IMO... He don't have the multi's & punches that most think = a "lyricist".
But IMO, Pac's words in song's ment for thought kill 99% of all multi/punchline rappers.
+ his music has longevity, even today decade plus into his death his songs still sound crisp.

I'm bias, Been down w/Pac since his introduction to me thru being a Digital Underground fan.
I have yet to see an artist since who's albums have got better as he progressed thru his career.
(2Pacalypse Now - Makaveli: The Don Killuminati/The 7 Day Theory)

Overrated, maybe only if you were introduced to him after '96.
(Then you were spoon fed, But many of us already had him up there regardless.)

Death just forced most.
couldnt have said it better