Author Topic: Where are all the Dr. Dre critics at now?  (Read 1798 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Where are all the Dr. Dre critics at now?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 01:58:36 AM »
still not really convinced that dre is BACK with that pure fire yet.

No doubt but at the same token he is far from finished as far as being wack either.
Dre never left

His beats on relapse and refill are the best things he's done in a longgg time. Some were very interesting, and some were excellent.

I think that Dre's BIGGEST problem is that he insists on every beat being 4-8ish bars looped ad nauseum. No tempo changes, no key changes, no switch ups, no instrument changes, just a loop. Sometimes its an extremely hot loop (Imagine), sometimes there's like one instrument added on the chorus (Hallelujah), but his shit is just too loop based. It makes the beats feel plodding and deliberate.

And this is an age where producers such as the neptunes, JUSTICE league, Khalil and others continue to increase the musical sophistication in their beats. Dre's shit is a little too simple right now. His second biggest problem is that the drums just feel so plodding and heavy. It's like he's trying to FORCE you to bounce to the beat. His beats really have no groove whatsoever right now. And it's weird cuz his g-funk beats always had a great groove.

Good shit man, I agree with everything you said. +1. Theres alotta dope producers like the ones you said that are making iller beats than Dre. Not saying that his beats arent dope, but they dont have that "wow" factor. Damn, I'm feelin Neptunes beats more than Dre beats right now.  The best Dre beat in awhile was "Shit Popped Off." That beat was fuckin dope but its just a loop too.
are you kidding me?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:03:12 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »
well it was the artists i wasnt feelin
so overall the production was cool and was too good for the artist it was given to especially some of relapse stuff but again for dre he needed to have brought more heat than what he did..it was as if he went backwards
and yeah he still got heat but he really hasnt brought str8 fire in a minute
i mean were talkin STR8
AMAZIN
FIRE
BANGIN

IMO RZA has made traxx bein on those levels and prolly only rza

real talk im still not i guess sayin hes back cuz he really hasnt made anythin amazin (but yet hes considered as the mosty amazin producer ever)
and thats why IMO RZA gets him cuz RZA is somethin else and does it every time
the relapse album wasnt all that IMO, and bisd is terrible

But were those albums weak in your opinion because of the artists or the beats?

I agree with this post right here. Dre was still good but the artists took a bit of shine off the beats by not coming correct on them (IMO)

MediumL

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 02:50:19 AM »
real talk im still not i guess sayin hes back cuz he really hasnt made anythin amazin (but yet hes considered as the mosty amazin producer ever)
and thats why IMO RZA gets him cuz RZA is somethin else and does it every time
the relapse album wasnt all that IMO, and bisd is terrible

8 Diagrams and some of Bobby Digital stuff disagrees with this  :laugh:

But as someone said the beats he's making need to change up a bit more to be on the same level as shit like Xxplosive. But there's definitely a lot of heat and I like how Dre is sticking to his style and not making these JUSTICE League type tracks like a lot of other producers are doing.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 04:31:22 AM »
Im totally digging Dre's now style on beats (im talking bout the ones on relapse and the relapse refill) The drums are loud as fuck and bang hard as hell and the whole orchestra shit is insane. His mixing and mastering is still top notch i just love listenin to the beats on high volume.

Yep. The "Relapse: Refill" album (whole 27 tracks) is the best produced cd since 2001 imo. Just the whole sequencing, beats sound crips and clean, I still haven't got tired of them after 6 months... of course I imagine that Detox will have a little more bounce to it in contrast with the more simplistic beats Eminem usually picks. "Hell Breaks Loose" is a perfect example of that, if Detox sounds like this then I'll be more than happy.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 04:39:04 AM »
And I think that there's still nobody fucking with Dre.

I had my money on:

a) J.R. but he went m.i.a. in the past 2 years, only messing with rnb artists, making some corny rnb beats. I'm hoping he has some shit on R.E.D. because they have great chemistry

b) Simillar with Just Blaze, also went quiet, except for the 2 fruity beats he did for T.I. and Maino but I still have high hopes for him.

c) Then there's Khalil, who's of course very dope but his mixing is still weak, his beats just don't sound as big as Dre's in a proper system. Once he masters that it's gonna be a different story

d) Neptunes are also great, lot's of variety, also big sounding beats that sometimes sound out of this world but they usually have low replay value

The only one that's a real competition right now imo is Kanye West.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 05:51:03 AM »
Depends what you mean by this thread. If you're syaing a critic is someone who is not allowed is just simply a hater, this thread is immature, if you're saying that where are those that just hated on dre for hating, then its another thing.

But a critic is important and i'll say to this day that dre went through a patch where he fell off big time. He def looking good with the beats on refill though, not so much on relapse, thats decent, some nice stuff but noway in hell is that the best produced cd since 2001.

for me its like being critical of eminem for the way he spits come encore/relapse, the shit was terrible in terms or lyricism and as quality music. Should critics stay quiet because of the stuff he has put out before or be critical of it? There really not much difference between a hater and a groupie...being critical though is completely different.

Dre coming with some major nice beats right now, the stuff he did on BISD and Refill are both very good, so the instrumentals are def looking straight and hopefully we'll soon start seeing the whole package with it being an amazing track too to complete the instrumental.

Thats why i dont stay on nobody nuts, dres my fav producer of all time, easily, but i can recognize when dudes dropping heat and when he is slippin.

People who just love or hate everything someone does because they a 'fan' or 'dislike' *cough* groupie/hater *cough* someone make me laugh. Those who can judge without catchin feelings are the people i respect most personally.

And i agree with meho, when dres on top form nobodies touching him because he can do it all, but when the likes of neptunes/timbaland/khalil/jr/blaze/rza amongst others all come at they're peak too, they can all make just as good and better beats than dre too. Theres alot of talent in the producers who came through the hiphop ranks.

Okka

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 05:55:27 AM »
Only beat on "Relapse" that was really "amazing" was "Stay Wide Awake". You can hear that Dre is workin with other musicians these days.

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 06:56:45 AM »
Depends what you mean by this thread. If you're syaing a critic is someone who is not allowed is just simply a hater, this thread is immature, if you're saying that where are those that just hated on dre for hating, then its another thing.

But a critic is important and i'll say to this day that dre went through a patch where he fell off big time. He def looking good with the beats on refill though, not so much on relapse, thats decent, some nice stuff but noway in hell is that the best produced cd since 2001.

for me its like being critical of eminem for the way he spits come encore/relapse, the shit was terrible in terms or lyricism and as quality music. Should critics stay quiet because of the stuff he has put out before or be critical of it? There really not much difference between a hater and a groupie...being critical though is completely different.

Dre coming with some major nice beats right now, the stuff he did on BISD and Refill are both very good, so the instrumentals are def looking straight and hopefully we'll soon start seeing the whole package with it being an amazing track too to complete the instrumental.

Thats why i dont stay on nobody nuts, dres my fav producer of all time, easily, but i can recognize when dudes dropping heat and when he is slippin.

People who just love or hate everything someone does because they a 'fan' or 'dislike' *cough* groupie/hater *cough* someone make me laugh. Those who can judge without catchin feelings are the people i respect most personally.

And i agree with meho, when dres on top form nobodies touching him because he can do it all, but when the likes of neptunes/timbaland/khalil/jr/blaze/rza amongst others all come at they're peak too, they can all make just as good and better beats than dre too. Theres alot of talent in the producers who came through the hiphop ranks.

in terms of lyrics relapse was great. you can only front on his subject matter, but thats it

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »

Definitely meant more your 2nd meaning on critic then the first. People definitely have the right to critique anyones work but it seems like at times Dre's work is like you said given the groupie treatment both ways. Did the thread more to spark dialogue on how people really felt about his music and as always you give the real. Dope ass post, +1

Matty

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
his shit is always far from wack, but just cause of the standard set by earlier work and the musical directions, some of the newer stuff has been far from classic imo. i don't really dig the whole relapse sound as much as most people but i can understand the concept of the drums and overall sound being tailored for eminem.

my main problem is the bounce/warmth issue that somebody else touched on. also the loop thing. some of the more recent beats are on some real movie style vibe, but they only really hint at the full potential. i would expect a lot more varied instrumentation to be used effectively and tracks to just 'open up' and reveal a bigger picture. if detox is just plain loops, however dope, that will be a tad dissapointing.

any shit as dope as 'outta control remix' is straight though 8)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »
his shit is always far from wack, but just cause of the standard set by earlier work and the musical directions, some of the newer stuff has been far from classic imo. i don't really dig the whole relapse sound as much as most people but i can understand the concept of the drums and overall sound being tailored for eminem.

my main problem is the bounce/warmth issue that somebody else touched on. also the loop thing. some of the more recent beats are on some real movie style vibe, but they only really hint at the full potential. i would expect a lot more varied instrumentation to be used effectively and tracks to just 'open up' and reveal a bigger picture. if detox is just plain loops, however dope, that will be a tad dissapointing.

any shit as dope as 'outta control remix' is straight though 8)

Agreed. The majority of beats I hear from Dre now, I can more or less picture Em on them excluding Death To My Enemies. Dre's sound evolved a bit once Em was signed but back then he was also working with Xzibit, Snoop and others. IF and when these collabos with Game surface on the R.E.D. album, I am interested to see what he cooks up for that as well. The last Dre beat that had me completely floored post Outta Control would have to be Murder Dem Murderers.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
Dre is making cool shit nowadays.  Don't know how he let Eminem get away with that Herman ass flow on the Relapse Sessions but the beats was hot.  I just hope he don't go the "Hell Breaks Loose" flow route on Detox, the nerdiness in Dre's personality shines a lil' too much lol and it just sounds too forced.  Dr. Dre just needs the right subject matter, flow, and guest on his shit and shit'll be fine.  It's just getting more right (noticable) that Dre is getting old and should just fall back and let the "newer" generation of artist take the front seat.  Dr. Dre has always been my favorite "producer" next to Paul & J but I think it's safe to say that Detox should be the curtain call.  Who knows, maybe him, Snoop, Em, Game, & 50 will drop a group album one day; now that shit will be  :o but even I wouldn't be foolish enough to think it'll be the new "New" (get it).  Bottom line, the newer Dre instrumentals are cool (variation is needed tho) and if Detox comes out it won't be so bad, it probably won't be the greatest thing we've ever heard but it ain't like music has ever been "Wine".

*edited in*:  I hope Detox gets a lil' mo gangsta with those beats tho, Relapse had hot beats but I want a lil funk and especially some crucial hard shit, WE NEED THAT!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:32:42 PM by Don'T Get tha SmackFace »

macadomusic

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 02:13:59 PM »
Smh @ niggas actin like they wasn't raised on Dr Dre production. The fact that dude been makin BANGERS for 20 + years he should NEVER be called wacc. I'm seein all these names thrown out, dope no question, but Dre was makin classics when they was ridin big wheels. I'm interested to know what songs ur comparin him to. The Games "higher" Snoops "Imagine" Bishops "grow up" T.I."Shit pops of"Bustas "get u some" and "Topless" that 50 tracc... I could go on and on.my point is, in hip hop years Dre been dope for 4 generations and honestly can out produce, mix, master all of his students.that alone should have enough "wow" factor. Dude produced the #1 sellin rap album of 2009 main.callin him wack is just nutso. But I'm high rite now so I'm venting lol

Okka

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
Ain't nobody callin' him wack, some people just don't like his new productions.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
Ain't nobody callin' him wack, some people just don't like his new productions.

it's not even that, homie is trying to hard to be so secretive about shit and then when it comes out, you go like "is that it".