Author Topic: Quik didn't even produce Love of my life  (Read 914 times)

Funkstradamus

Re: Quik didn't even produce Love of my life
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:28 AM »
Interesting.  How much of the album do you think is ghost produced?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/04/14/135349466/singled-out-dj-quiks-luv-of-my-life?ps=mh_frhdl1

"How did this song come about?

We was just spending time in the studio about a month ago. Me and my brother G1 just started making the beat. I did the drums, he did the bass line. We did it in, like, 15 minutes. Just pretty much threw it together.

I left out of town to go do some business, came back a day later and G1 had developed the song into something else. It had piano on it already, so I just wrote that hook like, 'Wow. This is the love of my life. This is great.' Because it was so easy and fresh. I just loved the track. The track is the love of my life."

thats not news....any real Quik fan already knew Quik and G-1 was back together on that beat....

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:49 AM »
@noobcake (btw, wtf at that name?!)

Nah its more than just daz.

What about j-flexx? What about the snoop interview where snoop basically admitted dre took credit for work daz and warren g did on the chronic / doggystyle? What about the doc interview where he all-but-said the reason mel-man left was cuz he was upset he wasn't getting his proper production credits? What about neff-u saying he really produced "my dads gone crazy" & "say what you say" for eminem, "back down" & "if I can't" for 50, and the coors light commercial beat?

Or you can read this article: http://www.ukmusic.com/forum/urban-music/the-truth-behind-aftermath-records-dr-dre-da-dog-27464.html

The writings on the wall
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 05:21:48 AM »
The point isn't that Dre's been accused of stealing credits, it's that he's always used throughout his career co-producers or beatmakers who were sometimes not mentioned or overshadowed by Dre. The list is pretty long : Cold187Um, The Glove, Colin Wolfe, Warren G, Daz, Barney Rubble, Soopafly, Mel Man, Scott Storch, Mike Elizondo, Focus, etc.

Many producers on the West and the South have co-producers that are musicians or beatmakers, and some can do it all (Mike dean, NO Joe, T-Mix, K-Lou, Jazze Pha, studio ton, battlecat).

Ant Banks had Shorty-B, Pee wee and them
Daz has had Soopafly, Ivan Johnson, Ricky Rouse etc.
Sean-T had G-Man Stan
Mike Mosley had Sam Bostic, Rick Rock
DJ Hook Me Mike D. had Sonny B
Prode'je had Robert Bacon & Tommy Mundy
Pimp C had NO Joe, and others

In the end all that matters is the final product, i don't give a fuck if Ambitionz Az A Ridah is good because of Quik's mixing, Daz's beat or Soopafly's keys, i'm not here to worship these dudes, just listen to some good music. don't get me wrong it's interesting to know who did what and not be a fool as to who is the key player in the process, it's just that i'm not trippin' if Dre only mixed Kush or Quik only did preliminary production work on the love of my life.

if quik has a banging record from a to z and hasnt produced it, i'll still prefer it over a 100% produced lukewarm quik album.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:07:33 AM by bouli77 »

Damú

• 'G'
  • What A Breakfast!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
The point isn't that Dre's been accused of stealing credits, it's that he's always used throughout his career co-producers or beatmakers who were sometimes not mentioned or overshadowed by Dre. The list is pretty long : Cold187Um, The Glove, Colin Wolfe, Warren G, Daz, Barney Rubble, Soopafly, Mel Man, Scott Storch, Mike Elizondo, Focus, etc.

Many producers on the West and the South have co-producers that are musicians or beatmakers, and some can do it all (Mike dean, NO Joe, T-Mix, K-Lou, Jazze Pha, studio ton, battlecat).

Ant Banks had Shorty-B, Pee wee and them
Daz has had Soopafly, Ivan Johnson, Ricky Rouse etc.
Sean-T had G-Man Stan
Mike Mosley had Sam Bostic, Rick Rock
DJ Hook Me Mike D. had Sonny B
Prode'je had Robert Bacon & Tommy Mundy
Pimp C had NO Joe, and others

In the end all that matters is the final product, i don't give a fuck if Ambitionz Az A Ridah is good because of Quik's mixing, Daz's beat or Soopafly's keys, i'm not here to worship these dudes, just listen some good music. don't get me wrong it's interesting to know who did what and not be a fool as to who is the key player in the process, it's just that i'm not trippin' if Dre only mixed Kush or Quik only did preliminary production work on the love of my life.

if quik has a banging record from a to z and hasnt produced it, i'll still prefer it over a 100% produced lukewarm quik album.

Real Talk right here--- +1

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
quik has a band that he uses sometimes...stop tryna hate smh

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
"love of my life" sounds like a DJ Quk/Terrace Martin-production

sprite

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
a lot of you guys just don't understand music production whatsoever

it's not the best idea to go in a studio, have the mindstate and insist that you are going to be the only guy working on the music

there are multiple people in the studio, you have to bounce ideas off of each other, music is not an isolated incident

not saying guys don't do tracks themselves, but just like any profession, someone has to proofread, edit, go over, give input, make corrections

it's not always such a competition of "it's only going to be my input and I'm going to show everyone how good I am"... it's not healthy to do that

when one decides to isolate himself, he can make some good stuff obviously, but it's counterproductive most of the time, and just not FUN

now if you want to argue who had the most input, I guess you can rack your brain and go ahead.... but these guys just don't always work that way

do television and movie producers work solely alone?  think about it, it would be impossible.... not to confuse music and visual effects, but you get the idea
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:32:41 PM by sprite »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »
whoa... why did everybody get all emotional over this? lol

bouli77

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
i totally agree with sprite's post

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
it's called co-production. probably be quite a bit with g-one and others on the album.

are you trying to say that quik can't produce records on his own? what's the significance of this? :P

That's not me saying it, he says it.  People buy Quik's albums for his production, not his rapping.  As a rapper he's always been average.  So now he's not even producing his own shit.

Isn't that the same for Dre and Kanye?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
a lot of you guys just don't understand music production whatsoever

it's not the best idea to go in a studio, have the mindstate and insist that you are going to be the only guy working on the music

there are multiple people in the studio, you have to bounce ideas off of each other, music is not an isolated incident

not saying guys don't do tracks themselves, but just like any profession, someone has to proofread, edit, go over, give input, make corrections

it's not always such a competition of "it's only going to be my input and I'm going to show everyone how good I am"... it's not healthy to do that

when one decides to isolate himself, he can make some good stuff obviously, but it's counterproductive most of the time, and just not FUN

now if you want to argue who had the most input, I guess you can rack your brain and go ahead.... but these guys just don't always work that way

do television and movie producers work solely alone?  think about it, it would be impossible.... not to confuse music and visual effects, but you get the idea

rappers get flack for not writing all of their own rhymes...why shouldn't producers get flack for not fully producing their own songs?

NoobCake

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »
it's called co-production. probably be quite a bit with g-one and others on the album.

are you trying to say that quik can't produce records on his own? what's the significance of this? :P

That's not me saying it, he says it.  People buy Quik's albums for his production, not his rapping.  As a rapper he's always been average.  So now he's not even producing his own shit.

Sure.  2001 instrumental to me is a MUCH better album than the original.  You can hear the music more clearly without Dre fucking everything up with his forced bland delivery.  Same thing for Kanye.  I like a lot of his beats, but his voice and delivery ruins everything.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »

Sure.  2001 instrumental to me is a MUCH better album than the original.  You can hear the music more clearly without Dre fucking everything up with his forced bland delivery.  Same thing for Kanye.  I like a lot of his beats, but his voice and delivery ruins everything.

Kanye maybe but Dre's beats are simplistic as fuck. The beats go hard but they need lyrics over them to keep them from being repetitive and boring. I bought the 2001 instrumentals and the only ones I could stand to keep listening to were Housewife and The Message.

Anyway my original post was to say that Dre, Kanye and many other producers aren't making their shit by themselves. We all know about Dre, and Kanye for one has had a coproducer on every album.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »
rappers get flack for not writing all of their own rhymes...why shouldn't producers get flack for not fully producing their own songs?
Because producing isn't as clear cut as writing. Production covers several aspects of the recording process but most people get hung up on instrumentals.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »
Because producing isn't as clear cut as writing. Production covers several aspects of the recording process but most people get hung up on instrumentals.

call producing whatever you want....but whenever rap fans talk about producers they mean the creative genius behind the instrumental. You can have your own definition and talk about as many details as you want but that's what it means to most people. Beats are more important in rap than other genres so maybe we need another word to describe the person who came up with the sound. Maybe from now on we should just refer to it as "the creative genius behind the sound"  ;)  Because when I talk about a producer that's what I mean. Any sap can throw their name on something.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:59:21 AM by SPICE TWO »