Author Topic: Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder A Classic Album?  (Read 1253 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder A Classic Album?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
I think this falls in the same category of "Tha Doggfather"...near classic.

I still remember the day Doggfather dropped.  I was listening through it like, "okay.. this track is okay... this track is okay.. this track is okay" then I got to the end and I was trying to skip forward like, "FUCK, that can't be it!"   Where are all the huge monster hits and certified classic tracks on this album?????   Then it dawned on me that Snoop had just laid the biggest brick in hip-hop history.  

...of course, years later the album doesn't sound that bad, and it's arguably a West Coast classic.  But at the time, it was a huge letdown.

Take A Look Over Your Shoulder on the other hand I enjoyed from the first day it dropped.  

most peeps were disappointed when "Doggfather" dropped....thats cuz it was a completely different sound from "Doggystyle". not many commercial cuts and a very raw sound. Warren G stuck to the same formula he used for "Regulate" and pretty much kept the same overall sound...I also preferred "Take a Look" when it first dropped, but in retrospect, both albums are near classic...i wanna consider them both classic, but neither is as good as "Doggystyle" or "Regulate".

this.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 03:18:53 AM »
so its the o.g. then?
nice, thnx for info :)

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
I thought I Want It All was better.....its still good tho

TheTruNoLimit

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »
I, myself, consider it a West Coast classic, borderline rap classic.  It's not quite Regulate and it's also not quite I Want It All or Return of the Regulator, but that tells you how damn good Warren was for many years.  From 1994 to really the end of 2001 and early 2002 when Return of the Regulator was still moving units, for 8 years and 4 solo albums I didn't think there was a guy in the business as consistently great as Warren G.  To me, each of his first 4 albums qualify as West Coast classics with Regulate being a legit rap classic too. 

This all changed with In the Midnight Hour, but I feel Warren's been so underrated for so long that this album got trashed pretty hardcore at times because it was a drastically different sound, but this is really a pretty nice record too.  It's just not up to par with his first 4 and I don't come close to considering this a West Coast classic at all, just a nice record.  I'm even surprised about the mixed reviews on G-Files because I've heard people say it's not West Coast when, to me, as someone who's been listening since day 1, most of the G-Files comes across as very West Coast. 

In the Midnight Hour though just has a completely different vibe (whereas I think G-Files is more or less on the Return of the Regulator vibe, just not nearly as good).  I really kind of like listening to it late at night when I'm driving somewhere, just a real cool, soulful laid back vibe.  I'd be curious what people think about this one 6 years later.

Eddz

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 04:41:06 AM »
I agree with Mid-Night Hour. It's not as good as thee first 4 albums but it's still a very good album. It gets a lot of hate but has some nice west cost songs.

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
A lilttle collectible i made for y'all dubcc'ers:

I think i have shared the mp3s in the past now this is the flac send a pm for the pass

Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KIL8KN4G
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:13:37 AM by GhostBuster »
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

westside159

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »
its a good album but not classic .   i think "I want it all" was a better album