Author Topic: Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder A Classic Album?  (Read 1252 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Warren G - Take A Look Over Your Shoulder A Classic Album?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
I think this falls in the same category of "Tha Doggfather"...near classic.

I still remember the day Doggfather dropped.  I was listening through it like, "okay.. this track is okay... this track is okay.. this track is okay" then I got to the end and I was trying to skip forward like, "FUCK, that can't be it!"   Where are all the huge monster hits and certified classic tracks on this album?????   Then it dawned on me that Snoop had just laid the biggest brick in hip-hop history.  

...of course, years later the album doesn't sound that bad, and it's arguably a West Coast classic.  But at the time, it was a huge letdown.

Take A Look Over Your Shoulder on the other hand I enjoyed from the first day it dropped.  
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
I think this falls in the same category of "Tha Doggfather"...near classic.

I still remember the day Doggfather dropped.  I was listening through it like, "okay.. this track is okay... this track is okay.. this track is okay" then I got to the end and I was trying to skip forward like, "FUCK, that can't be it!"   Where are all the huge monster hits and certified classic tracks on this album?????   Then it dawned on me that Snoop had just laid the biggest brick in hip-hop history.  

...of course, years later the album doesn't sound that bad, and it's arguably a West Coast classic.  But at the time, it was a huge letdown.

Take A Look Over Your Shoulder on the other hand I enjoyed from the first day it dropped.  

most peeps were disappointed when "Doggfather" dropped....thats cuz it was a completely different sound from "Doggystyle". not many commercial cuts and a very raw sound. Warren G stuck to the same formula he used for "Regulate" and pretty much kept the same overall sound...I also preferred "Take a Look" when it first dropped, but in retrospect, both albums are near classic...i wanna consider them both classic, but neither is as good as "Doggystyle" or "Regulate".

HighEyeCue

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »
dope album but not quite classic IMO

Personally I prefer Doggfather but the comparisons are rather accurate

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
Good album but not a classic to me, obviously prefer regulate to this but also return of the regulator.

word!

Its not a classic nor a westcoast classic.

A classic example :  All eyez on me ( TUPAC )

Westcoast classic : The shadiest one ( WC)

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
I love this album. That "relax your mind" joint was some of the smoothest shit Warren ever made. But the album is dope from top to bottom, I need to bust it out, it's been a minute.

BakinSodaFree

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nathaniel Dwayne Hale - The greatest singer ever.
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
That "relax your mind" joint was some of the smoothest shit Warren ever made.
Under the society, still only god`s above me

R.I.P Nate Dogg.
You will forever be missed, but never forgotten.

West-West Y'All

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
Transformers song is the shit especially live

BiG*WiCkEd

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • G'z Up*HoEz DoWn
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
I was just listening to this album and the production is crazy. It's a solid album and definitely a West Coast classics but is it considered a classic album?
Come on bro, you should know better than asking for another person's opinion, because at the end of the day that's exactly what it is....another person's opinion.

If you consider it a classic, then shit by all means it is. to me its a solid ass album, fuck what anyone else thinks.

Personal preference man.

W
What Goes Around, Comes Around

My enemies deceased
Died like a bitch
When my album hit tha streetz
Niggas Can't C Me

Mat

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »
Classic to me 8)

Eddz

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 06:17:10 AM »
I was just listening to this album and the production is crazy. It's a solid album and definitely a West Coast classics but is it considered a classic album?
Come on bro, you should know better than asking for another person's opinion, because at the end of the day that's exactly what it is....another person's opinion.

If you consider it a classic, then shit by all means it is. to me its a solid ass album, fuck what anyone else thinks.

Personal preference man.

W

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the album as it's very underrated and doesn't get spoken about much.

Fraxxx

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »
I guess you could call it a beat/production classic.
Warren's vocal style was years out of date though, far too simplistic rhymes to warrant callin the album an all round classic (no hate)!

Accurate. But fortunately Warren always had the Twinz, Malik and Jah Skillz right beside him to bust a bomb rhyme
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

teecee

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
Take a Look wasn't as innovative as regulate was; tracks like I shot the sheriff, what's love, and I shot sheriff were blatant attempts at crossover songs (I still liked them).  The album had filler, whereas Regulate is one of the best non skippers in hiphop history.  However, tracks like Heat and Reality were unbelievably dope.

Take a Look= Westcoast classic for us older heads, but by no means is it a hip hop classic

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Not classic because of the cheesy Transformers song.  But has some overlooked vintage Warren G cuts on it.

Has the CD quality version of the original unreleased Annie Mae EVER leaked???

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 12:56:15 PM »
Not classic because of the cheesy Transformers song.  But has some overlooked vintage Warren G cuts on it.

??? u mean the remix?

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »

??? u mean the remix?
I'm recall that it used to be listed as "Annie Mae (Remix)", so we're probably talking about the same track.  The original I'm talking about was first mentioned in The Source's review of the album, describing it as a sample/interpolation of Prince's "Darling Nikki".  Album was released, no Darling Nikki sample, most likely due to Prince notoriously not clearing samples of his music.  Back in 1999-2000 when all the Death Row stuff started leaking, a low quality version of the Annie Mae version with Prince sample leaked, I wanna say it was on westcoast2k (if you remember that site).  Have not heard it CDQ to this day. I'd post a link but it's really hard to find now.