Author Topic: Which Death Row signing you think was the one that made Dre leave?  (Read 1340 times)

socal

• 'G'
Re: Which Death Row signing you think was the one that made Dre leave?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
2pac
All you Suckas want to Diss the PACiFiC but you Buster Niggaz never get Specific!!

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
"fuck it, im outta here" as soon as he caught wind of the pac-singnin.  in the studio wit Budda when he heard the news. some interview wit Budda (or maybe Melman) in "scratch" magazine

damn.. that's interesting... did Buddha or Mel-Man really say that?   Then why did Dre still record a couple tracks and video's for All Eyes On Me?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

David Mack

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • $700,000 richer Blood
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
Pac without a doubt. Too much chaos.

Officer Perez

??? I don't know this guy so fuck you!

V2DHeart

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
"fuck it, im outta here" as soon as he caught wind of the pac-singnin.  in the studio wit Budda when he heard the news. some interview wit Budda (or maybe Melman) in "scratch" magazine

damn.. that's interesting... did Buddha or Mel-Man really say that?   Then why did Dre still record a couple tracks and video's for All Eyes On Me?

Just like being at work and having to work on projects, or quality improvement plans, or starting up a new contract. You can wind up having to work with people you don't like, for the growth of the business/profit. Business goals will always take precedence

He would work with him, and didn't really hate 2Pac himself, just the drama that surrounded him, and 2Pac had plenty of that to more than make up for every artist over there at that time. Dre was already annoyed before 2Pac's arrival, at Daz's 'hardman act' in the studio, and having his street buddy's bully around the board operators and Engineers. One I believe was Rob Paustian, who I don't think ever worked for Tha Row ever again. He's your typical white glasses wearing dorky engineer that Daz felt more like a man to bully around, and either Daz or one of his associates putting his hands on a female friend of Miche'le's as well, to name a few pretty much forced Dre out of the studio and isolated in his home. Then you've got the Dogg Food problem, and Suge muscling his way in favour of creating Daz into a Dre-like producer with credible a reputation, allowing his circle (Soopafly, Dogg Pound etc.) to get the time while Dre's (Rage, Sam Sneed) fell into the background

That's why Dre has never worked with him since. Then you have 2Pac who was a bit of a bully in the studio himself but in different ways
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Jimmy H.

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
Out of Dre's own mouth, he said if he had to point to one incident that led to his departure it was watching an engineer get beat down for rewinding a tape too far. I think in a normal business environment, Pac and Dre could have co-existed but Death Row was going in a new direction and I think Suge saw Dre's disinterest and decided to bring in a replacement. The comment about the artist at the label saying he just got signed, I doubt it was Pac as I'm pretty sure him and Dre had known each other prior to that. There were a number of artists Suge was probably bringing in at that time.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
I think Pac was definitely the nail in the coffin. But I also think artist like The Relativez, OFTB, and the other gansta rappers that were really bangin in the streets played a part in it too.

But when they signed Pac, a guy that was in the news everyday for fighting, guns, rape charges, etc etc etc was it.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »

Just like being at work and having to work on projects, or quality improvement plans, or starting up a new contract. You can wind up having to work with people you don't like, for the growth of the business/profit. Business goals will always take precedence

He would work with him, and didn't really hate 2Pac himself, just the drama that surrounded him, and 2Pac had plenty of that to more than make up for every artist over there at that time. Dre was already annoyed before 2Pac's arrival, at Daz's 'hardman act' in the studio, and having his street buddy's bully around the board operators and Engineers. One I believe was Rob Paustian, who I don't think ever worked for Tha Row ever again. He's your typical white glasses wearing dorky engineer that Daz felt more like a man to bully around, and either Daz or one of his associates putting his hands on a female friend of Miche'le's as well, to name a few pretty much forced Dre out of the studio and isolated in his home. Then you've got the Dogg Food problem, and Suge muscling his way in favour of creating Daz into a Dre-like producer with credible a reputation, allowing his circle (Soopafly, Dogg Pound etc.) to get the time while Dre's (Rage, Sam Sneed) fell into the background

That's why Dre has never worked with him since. Then you have 2Pac who was a bit of a bully in the studio himself but in different ways

I don't know about all of that...  because Dre was always really proud of the Dogg Pound and the success the Dogg Pound was having.  They were one of Dre's creations.   Dre had a heavy hand in the Dogg Food album.  He mixed damn near every track on that album.  He appeared in their video's.  He bigged them up and advertised for their album in many interviews.  

The way I see it the Daz/Dre beef really only became an issue after Dre left Death Row.  Now does anybody have any quotes proving it was actually Daz who was involved in beating up engineers and bullying around the studio?  Cause otherwise I don't really see it going down like that.   I see that as Suge's henchmen hanging around the studio creating that environment.

...now as for Pac's signing being the big reason why Dre left, I don't see that as being the case either.  You can see the happiness and pride in Dre at the recording for 2pac's "California Love" video.  

I think that it was the signing of Pac that gave Suge a huge ego.  Caused Suge to sign other acts without Dre's approval, and also lead to Suge creating a Mafia environment around the label; that it was Suge that was instrumental in Dre leaving the label.  Not Daz or Pac.

btw... some of it had nothing to do with the environment of Death Row or artists that were on the label at Death Row, and actually had to do with Dre growing up and changing after serving a short stint in jail.  If you read the Source article from 96 with him on the cover explaining the issue; he sounds like a man who had looked himself in the mirror and decided it was time to change his life.  Maybe a younger version of Dre would of been okay with what was going down at Death Row in summer 1996; but Dre was now growing older and wiser, "Been There/Done That".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:30:49 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Quadruple OG

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »

He appeared in their video's.

The only Dogg Pound video he appeared in was "What Would You Do?". He didn't appear in any of the videos for Dogg Food. Again, the reason Dr. Dre himself cited for leaving the label for good was seeing an engineer get beat up for rewinding a tape too far. In 1996 Dre was no longer recording at DR studio's and was working out of his house. He was rarely at their studios to begin with.

Deuce-Deuce

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
Eazy's death had affected Dre big time aswell.
Fuck that club shit
I'm on that Dub shit

The Predator

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
Dre was given a choice of walking away or being dragged out of Death Row. Apparently.

He really needs to lie down on a couch, tell his story to a biographer and release a fucking book. Shit would go mega platinum in book sales.

Chad

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 06:31:55 PM »

He appeared in their video's.

The only Dogg Pound video he appeared in was "What Would You Do?". He didn't appear in any of the videos for Dogg Food. Again, the reason Dr. Dre himself cited for leaving the label for good was seeing an engineer get beat up for rewinding a tape too far. In 1996 Dre was no longer recording at DR studio's and was working out of his house. He was rarely at their studios to begin with.

He was also in "Let's Play House"......
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
Hammer had mainstream appeal cause he wasnt into smoking weed and talking about bitches....so he could sell out a bigger venue than some hoodrats like snoop and dre.

wtf are you smoking?  Hammer could sell out a bigger venue than Dre and Snoop in 96?  I don't think so.  And even if you believe that, the artists (back then before 360 deals) made most of the money from shows, so the label would not be motivated by that anyway.

Hammer's signing was purely PR, he did lots of charity work and things like that.  Tax deduction for the label, etc.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
And yeah I remember Dre saying in his VH1 behind he music that the engineer beat down was basically the last straw.  But it was a lot of shit - constant drama, Suge signing acts and getting involved in the music, 2pac, etc.

TerryMak

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Dre was given a choice of walking away or being dragged out of Death Row. Apparently.

He really needs to lie down on a couch, tell his story to a biographer and release a fucking book. Shit would go mega platinum in book sales.

:stop: Muthafuckers don't read.  :stop:

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
It wasn't the only reason Dre left.  But Dre did say in an interview that one of the reasons he left was, "it came to the point where I would show up to work and a new nigger would be in face like, yo, I just signed to the label".  And I'd be like, "Nigga, I don't know you!".

My guess is M.C. Hammer.  Because what the hell was Suge thinking signing that dude?   Also, it could of been O.F.T.B. as well.  Because they were one of the only other new acts that came around the time Dre started to become disenchanted.

stopped taking you serious after you posted nigger once and nigga after
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens