Author Topic: Daz just won a 25.5 million Lawsuit!  (Read 684 times)

Woodrow

Daz just won a 25.5 million Lawsuit!
« on: January 22, 2003, 09:58:13 PM »
Huge Default Falls on Rap Mogul Like Cold, Cold Rain
Rapper Daz Dillinger has won a $25.5 million default judgment against perpetually embattled rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight and Death Row Records in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

Now the question is whether Knight can get the judgment, which his attorney says could wipe out the pioneering rap record label; no renamed Tha Row, reversed.

In part, Knight and Death Row blame the default judgment on a blanket of fear that enveloped the record label following the killings of two of its employees last year.

The uneasy atmosphere hampered communications between Knight and his in-house counsel, who apparently decided to stop coming to the office for a time, according to the lawyer’s declaration.

The communications breakdown led to confusion and inattention regarding the defense of Dillinger’s suit, according to the documents.

However, according to the case records, Dillinger’s attorneys believe that the blanket of fear is really a smoke of factual distortions designed to allow Knight to wriggle out of the jaws of their victory.

A hearing on reconsidering and vacating the big reward is scheduled for Jan. 28.

Robert C. Baker, who defended OJ Simpson in the wrongful death civil suit stemming from the 1984 murders of Simpson’s former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman, and who was hired in late December, several weeks after the default judgment, will represent Knight at the hearing.

Dillinger, an early Death Row artist who reportedly signed with the gangsta rap label in 1993 and was a member of rapper Snoop Dogg’s Tha Dogg Pound, will be represented by the Beverly Hills firm of Fruend & Brackey, Dillinger’s real name is Delmar Arnaud.

The default judgment, handed down Dec. 6 by Judge Paul Gubman but previously unreported, is only one of the legal troubles that recently have been falling like cold, cold rain on Knight.

Shortly before Christmas, Knight won another trip behind bars for an alleged parole violation. He’s still in there, at least until the state prison terms board hears his case within the next few weeks. Knight served nearly five years in state and federal custody on a variety of charges, including firearms assault. He was released on parole in August 2001.

In November, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department conducted raids on Death Row’s Beverly Hills offices and on Knight’s homes, including one in Malibu. The raids were part of an investigation into gang killings, including the shooting April 3 of Knight’s friend, Death Row employee Alton McDonald.

The latter date is important in the Dillinger case because McDonald died just one day after he and others from Death Row met with Baker’s firm about retaining Baker, Death Row’s in-house attorney Theresa Bingham said in a declaration.  

Death Row didn’t retain Baker then, she said in the declaration.

Besides McDonald, those attending the meeting included Knight and Bingham.

In her declaration, Bingham state that, after McDonald’s death, “there was a great deal of concern, both personally and at Death Row, AKA Tha Row, that individuals associated with Mr. Knight were at risk.”

Bingham also said that she “left working directly” with Knight last summer.

“The primary reason was an underlying fear that other individuals may be at risk simply for being in the presence of Mr. Knight,” Bingham said in the declaration.

She also noted that, as a result of the murder of Death Row graphic artist Henry Smith on Oct. 16, she “continued to stay away from Mr. Knight’s offices.”

In a subsequent declaration filed earlier this month, Bingham said her being “upset” over the deaths meant that she was “not a productive employee” who paid sufficient attention to Death Row’s litigation.

Death Row also has blamed the breakup of its relationship with the Christensen Miller firm for its failure to defend against the Dillinger action. Court papers indicate that Christensen Miller dropped Death Row in late 2001 because of unpaid fees of $300,000. Dillinger sued in August 2001.

Meanwhile, Baker told me Friday that he believes he has a fighting chance of winning a reversal of the default judgment. For one thing, the award greatly exceeds the amount claimed in Dillinger’s breach of contract suit. $1 million, Baker said. Moreover, Knight claims he was never served with notice of the default judgment, Baker said.

Even in Hollywood, sometimes that old question, “Your money or your life?” is not theoretical.

Author: Garry Abrams
Source: Daily Journal [www.dailyjournal.com]
Date: 01/22/03
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 10:09:11 PM by Engel-Rock »

Trauma-san

Re:Daz just won a 25.5 million Lawsuit!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 10:13:13 PM »
Ha, I'll bet daz HAD A FRIEKIN CORONARY since it was more than he was even asking for, LOL.  He's probably got plans for that 1 million, then the lawyer comes back and tells him he's getting 20 million instead, LOL.  

TOOTHBRUSH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • dpg production
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 10:36:49 PM »
lol i guess daz actually can destroy death row, and he is now a very rich man.......i wonder why he got so much??? it couldn't be from royalties cause he never sold that many records
"its tha pimp of tha crew soopafly comin through wit a dick and a couple balls just to name a few"-soopafly

platinumk777

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 10:38:51 PM »
right, but how come this article is nowhere to be seen in the site itself? Nah, I doubt it's true. Too good to be true (for Daz, of course)

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 10:50:46 PM »
right, but how come this article is nowhere to be seen in the site itself? Nah, I doubt it's true. Too good to be true (for Daz, of course)

It did look a bit fake...

http://www.dpgrecordz.com

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 10:51:31 PM »
Nah, it's prob. true, too many quotes, and inside information.  Nobody would b.s. all that, it's too much work, LOL.  You'd have to write an outline to fake it, hahaha.

Anyways, He might have been awarded more for punitive damages.  A big corporation or company sometimes gets judgements against it that are big, to "Teach it a lesson"

for example, McDonalds scolds a woman with hot coffee.  Instead of giving her 500 grand to make her rich forever, they give her 28 million, so it actually hurts mcdonalds (Micky d's could give away 500 grand every 10 minutes and still make money).  

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 10:56:34 PM »
Ha, I'll bet daz HAD A FRIEKIN CORONARY since it was more than he was even asking for, LOL.  He's probably got plans for that 1 million, then the lawyer comes back and tells him he's getting 20 million instead, LOL.  

LOL i was right, lol.  There's an audio link on Daz's site, he's friekin' out

"THIS IS DAZ DILLINGER, 25.5 MILLION (GAAAA DAMMMNNNN) DOLLAS!!! WE GONNA DO A PARTY!!! WE GON DO A PARTY FOR THE DPGRECORDZ FANS, WE GON FLY YALL OUT TO A SECLUDED SPOT!!!! YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD ME, I HAD YOU FOR 25 MILLION!!!! "

LOL

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 11:09:14 PM »
how long do u think its b4 daz is flat broke again

DPG4lyfe

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 02:18:25 AM »
how long do u think its b4 daz is flat broke again

i give him a week lol. im out!!!

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:57 AM »
wow.. this really sticks it to Tha Row!  Final crash and burn for Mr. Knight.

Overall, I'm happy for Daz and really hopes he puts this money towards making DPG Recordz ALOT more legit.  Letz start by issuing refunds to the homies who got jacked on Mak And Daz.   ::)

But on the real.. hopefully he continues to put out great Indy music.. but steps up on the business end of it all.  

... hhhmmmm.. well SHIT..!! while I'm at it.. (busy spending his money for him.. haha..)  he needs to invest in some new equipment or something.. or pay for professional mixing and mastering.  His last EP (Passion Remix for example) was NOT mixed down properly and it really pissed me off cuz Tower charged like 18 bucks for the damn thing.. and the levels arent right.. theres pops and really small cracklez.  In addition.. the Gangsta Shit DVD bonus videos look like they where recorded off BET or some shit.  He straight used some VHS rips for bonus vidz.  What kinda shit is that???

Hopefully this cash will turn into better work for his fans.

Axle
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 03:43:46 AM by Axle_F »
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 04:33:41 AM »
That's called, "Ghetto Quality".  Daz ain't NEVER gonna get better than Ghetto Quality, even if he goes bill gates on us.  

Lil Suge Knight

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 05:29:17 AM »
Damn things looking bad for Tha Row  >:(
These is dedicated to the niggaz down from day one!!!

Kaidy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2003, 06:34:49 AM »
Daaaaaamn LOL imagine getting news like that, talk about your ship coming in. I can't even imagine having 25 Million.

Oh, that audio clip was hilarious, Daz said something like "Jay-Z get at me, you owe me the money for Change The Game". He just won 25 Mill and he's still trippin on money hahaha

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2003, 06:39:17 AM »
Why does newswriter use  the same words Kronik used................fake

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 07:00:04 AM »
right, but how come this article is nowhere to be seen in the site itself?
Yeah funny that daz comes with this bs the same day Tha Row plans to release the Disfunktional Family Tracklist ::)