Author Topic: DJ Quik Tells All: The Stories Behind his Classic Records (Complex Music)  (Read 1471 times)

Raiders4Life

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a RAIDER!
Haha, I remember when my brother bought that Rhythm-A-Lism cd and thinking "Damn, this is a gay-ass cover". Then I actually listened to it and was blown away. Don't judge a book by its cover.

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Matty

very dope read and many gems dropped by one of the greatest music producers ever (along with quincy, prince etc)

few nuggets

- produced/co-produced 'home alone'...not like this wasn't obvious, but nice to have confirmation.

- 'street gospel' produced and mixed in a garage studio. crazy! this might be the best mixed/engineered album ever as far as my ears are concerned, along with rhythamalism. it's super bright and clear, but less layered than the latter.

"My thing to them is, a mic chain is a mic chain. A mic chain is not going to make you a hit record. It's how you use whatever fucking equipment you've got. Whether it's a $10 mic or a $10,000 mic. A piece of equipment has never made a hit record. It's all about riding levels, same as riding a motorcycle. It's inertia. You get a signal moving nicely and you don't touch it any more. If it sounds good and it's got no static in it, leave it right where it is."

rhythamalism 2 would be crazy if it ever happened, probably more likely than detox tbh.

you can kinda sense quik's artistic genius through the piece...doing things on based feel...but being around the wrong people at certain times has hampered his progress in the industry. his work speaks for itself tho.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:23:59 PM by Matty »

Desert Lord

damn good read...props

GangstaBoogy

- 'street gospel' produced and mixed in a garage studio. crazy! this might be the best mixed/engineered album ever as far as my ears are concerned, along with rhythamalism. it's super bright and clear, but less layered than the latter.

Yeah that part right there is a jaw-dropper. Shows how much of a genius he really is.

I won't say MTV or BET because they clearly don't give a fuck about music anymore; but Fuse, should give this guy a weekly show. Like a weekly Visualism type gig. Not only is he unbelievably talented at creating music, he also makes it sound interesting when he breaks down the history. The story behind "Addictive" is amazing, this guy is at home and happens to hear Indian music on some tv movie and records it on a tape and takes it to the studio and chops it up and turns it into what it became - incredible.

I love these quotes

I'm not trying to be arrogant or whatever. But that music is coming from somewhere. Without me it wouldn't exist. There would be no 'Addictive' if it wasn't for me. There would be no 'In Da Club,' 'Tonite,' 'Why U Bullshittin,' 'Let's Get Down,' and a lot of records where people just tried to sound like me. 'Addictive' is a record that saved my life, gave me something to smile about in the darkest moments of my life.

Maybe I read too much into music. I can't separate myself from it. I'm not the kind of person who can just say, 'Yeah, we did that beat, and it didn't work, but this one did pretty good!' I'm passionate about music. I try not to be! But I'd only be kidding myself. That's my real passion

"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

714rep

rhythamalism 2 would be crazy if it ever happened, probably more likely than detox tbh.

Agreed  8)

David Gutterman

Funkstradamus

awesome read

damn, quik has some harsh words for 2nd II none, lol
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

BiggBoogaBiff

I can hear that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" sample.  Nice!

polepositon

The best read I've read on this website ever.

MarshColin

"I'm not trying to be arrogant or whatever. But that music is coming from somewhere. Without me it wouldn't exist. There would be no 'Addictive' if it wasn't for me. There would be no 'In Da Club,' 'Tonite,' 'Why U Bullshittin,' 'Let's Get Down,' and a lot of records where people just tried to sound like me. 'Addictive' is a record that saved my life, gave me something to smile about in the darkest moments of my life.

Powerful shit! One of the best Quik interviews I can remember. Definitely one of the most informative.

Cavvy

Heartz of men is such an incredible beat
2nd II none need their fucking heads checked turning that beat down

Cavvy

"I don't want them to come to L.A.; L.A. doesn't really have a culture. L.A. has lost its soul. Musical vibe in L.A. Isn't the same. We don't even have a real radio station. When it comes to R&B and all that, the signals is all scrambled"
amen

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
I love these quotes
I'm not trying to be arrogant or whatever. But that music is coming from somewhere. Without me it wouldn't exist. There would be no 'Addictive' if it wasn't for me. There would be no 'In Da Club,' 'Tonite,' 'Why U Bullshittin,' 'Let's Get Down,' and a lot of records where people just tried to sound like me. 'Addictive' is a record that saved my life, gave me something to smile about in the darkest moments of my life.
lol it's so stupid, he says he only helped with the drum sounds of In da club. 50 wrote the song on his own and dre & mike already had a basic beat ready

bouli77

yeah that's why you gotta love Quik, like a lot of legendary producers, so egotistical, but hey, i can't blame him, i would be if i were in his shoes too.