Author Topic: Dissin' The Babe? Bonds takes whack at Ruth  (Read 376 times)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Dissin' The Babe? Bonds takes whack at Ruth
« on: July 16, 2003, 02:06:51 PM »
Wednesday, July 16

Desired target in homer assault: Ruth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Barry Bonds keeps climbing the home run charts, edging closer to Willie Mays' mark and drawing more and more questions about whether he will break Hank Aaron's record.

Bonds, however, is also taking aim at The Babe.

“ In the baseball world, Babe Ruth's everything, right? ”
  — Barry Bonds

The San Francisco slugger leads the majors with 30 home runs at the All-Star break and has hit 643 in his career, putting him just 17 shy of matching his godfather -- Mays -- for third on the all-time list.

"Willie's number is always the one that I've strived for," Bonds said before Tuesday's All-Star Game.

"And if it does happen, the only number I care about is Babe Ruth's. Because as a left-handed hitter, I wiped him out. That's it. And in the baseball world, Babe Ruth's everything, right? I got his slugging percentage and I'll take his home runs and that's it. Don't talk about him no more."

Ruth hit 714 home runs, a mark that stood for many years until Aaron came along. Aaron finished with 755, but Bonds said "755 isn't the number that's always caught my eye."

At 38, Bonds' drive to reach Aaron has been slowed a bit by his high walk total. With each year, the daily grind of playing left field might take its toll, too. Bonds has said recently that he would welcome playing for an AL team -- he's specifically mentioned the Angels -- as a full-time DH once his contract with the Giants is up.

"The toughest thing about getting older is playing defense. That is where you get hurt. Guys can hit from a wheelchair," said Cubs manager Dusty Baker, Bonds' former manager. "I always thought someday Barry might be a first baseman or a DH."

The AL beat the NL 7-6 to gain home-field advantange for the World Series.

Trauma-san

Re:Dissin' The Babe? Bonds takes whack at Ruth
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 05:39:23 PM »
Fuck this guy, he doesn't realize a thing the Babe did for baseball.  

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 06:32:45 PM »
Not to diss The Babe, but I honestly don't think he was a very good baseball player.

Sure, he could get to the plate, and crush the ball for a homerun...but thats ALL he could do!  He lead the league in homeruns of course...but he also lead the league in strikeouts.

Also, the guy was drunk half the time he played.

I would call Babe Ruth a homerun hitter at best.

Barry Bonds, on the other hand, is not only good at the plate.  The man has won the golden glove award 4 times(maybe 5).  He also has a great slugging precentage.

IMO, Barry Bonds is WAY better than Babe Ruth...but thats me.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 06:43:09 PM »
lmao do people not realize he was a very good pitcher too? he was bostons best pitcher for like four years straight. babe was alot more than just a "home run hitter" but i don't have the time to type up all of his achievements.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Sub-Z

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 06:51:19 PM »
lmao do people not realize he was a very good pitcher too? he was bostons best pitcher for like four years straight. babe was alot more than just a "home run hitter" but i don't have the time to type up all of his achievements.

beat me to it

pappy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 07:16:27 PM »
first off its a well known fact bonds is a scum bag.  but xero or whatever ur name is,  u say the babe played drunk half the time,  imagine how good he would of been he played sober all the time.  an remember.  when babe was a pitcher he was also leading the league in home runs during the dead  ball era.  an than when he went to the yankees an the first couple of years it was still the dead ball era babe had more home runs than some teams.  also remember that playing condidtions are a lot better now than they were in the teens, 20's, an 30's.  Bonds in my opinion is a better overall player than the babe but what the babe has done for baseball,  barry will never come close 2 doing.  when u think baseball u think the babe

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 09:53:27 PM »
^^ YUP! I knew you'd come along with some info for us.  In my opinion, it's extremely hard to compare players from the friekin' what, 40's? and modern players, also.  There's just too many differences in the game, in standards, in your average player, etc. now as opposed to then to make any kind of comparison fair.

I.E., today, there's a lot more competition in baseball, almost everybody is an amazing player, all the players are in great shape, they have much more specialized coaches and training, etc... if you put a Babe Ruth in today's game, he'd excel with the advantages that today's players have over the people he was playing with.  He was a friekin' monster in his day, for Bonds to act like he's better shows him off as the asshole he is.  What prick goes around comparing himself to legends?  

Bigg AG

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 09:54:56 PM »
o well...

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 10:39:38 PM »
lol@ The Babe...

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 09:56:01 AM »
Not to diss The Babe, but I honestly don't think he was a very good baseball player.

Sure, he could get to the plate, and crush the ball for a homerun...but thats ALL he could do!  He lead the league in homeruns of course...but he also lead the league in strikeouts.

Also, the guy was drunk half the time he played.

I would call Babe Ruth a homerun hitter at best.

Barry Bonds, on the other hand, is not only good at the plate.  The man has won the golden glove award 4 times(maybe 5).  He also has a great slugging precentage.

IMO, Barry Bonds is WAY better than Babe Ruth...but thats me.

What are you smoking? Ruth wasn the career walk guy before Ricky passed him. He has close to 100 wins as a pitcher. 714 homeruns. And he wasn't on the roids when he did this.

Babe Ruth is the Greatest Baseball Player of All Time.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 12:21:25 PM »
what an asshole.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 06:30:34 PM »
The Babe is highly overrated...plain n simple. But whateva, i dont give a shit about baseball much...so i aint gonna argue it.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 09:05:09 PM »
^^ you dont' know what the fuck you're talking about anyways, so thanks for the favor.  LOL @ someone who still replaces "s"'s with "Z"'s

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 02:36:25 AM »
^^ you dont' know what the fuck you're talking about anyways, so thanks for the favor.  LOL @ someone who still replaces "s"'s with "Z"'s

or a middle-aged hippy hick on a westcoast rap message board who names themself after a Character on a video game...hmmm, is he country...or is he hip hop? Is he middle-aged...or is he 8? We'll never know...u can let go of my nuts now tho Trauma, thanks.

And yes, the "Babe" is still overrated.

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 07:00:03 AM »
The Babe is highly overrated...plain n simple. But whateva, i dont give a shit about baseball much...so i aint gonna argue it.

Babe had close to 100 wins as a pitcher before the Yankees made him a hitter. He had 2 seaon where he won 20 games or more. Career walks leader, until Rickey passed him a couple years ago. He has 500 more RBI's then Bonds. He has 714 Home Runs. He put baseball on the map, and he helped make the sport America's passtime.

The Babe also has 62 more triples then Bonds. And like I said before Ruth wasn't on the roids.

Babe Ruth is the Greatest player in the history of baseball.
End of Story.