Author Topic: Enter Brian Wilson's World for 12 Minutes...  (Read 469 times)

Trauma-san

Enter Brian Wilson's World for 12 Minutes...
« on: June 17, 2004, 03:26:37 PM »
Brian made a little promo video for his new album, "Gettin' In Over My Head".  It's 12 minutes long, and even if you're not a fan, you ought to watch it to get a glimse into his strange world.  You can see his eccentricism, the crazy youthfullness he's never lost in his 62 years, hear him perform some great new songs, and even see his 3 beautiful adopted children... starring Brian Wilson as himself, Eric Clapton as himself, Elton John as himself, Paul McCartney as himself, The Wondermints as theirselves, well, you get the picture.

Seriously though, if you have 12 minutes to spare, check it out... he's incredibly interesting.  

http://www.brianwilson.com/media/video.html#

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

Re:Enter Brian Wilson's World for 12 Minutes...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:38:04 PM »
Dope ! The songs from the album sounds great , I`m gonna cop it !

JTSimon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:38:09 PM »
lol Trauma seriously that was really bad.

Btw Brian Wilson acts/looks like a 4 year old...how many strokes has he had?

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=53607
 :D

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 07:48:57 PM »
Trick: Go listen to Ace of bass you moron...

Back to the topic, The shit sounds hot. I watched this Made for TV movie the other day about The Beach boys. It was pretty crazy! I'm gonna be picking this up for sure Next Tuesday.

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:18:30 PM »

First, I'm not stupid enough to click any links you post; it's enough of a waste to respond to your replies baiting me on.

He's never had a stroke, his father beat him as a child, so he can't hear in one ear, and talks to that side of his face.  He recorded the greatest album of all time like that, so I'm not going to start considering it a hinderance.

He acts like a 4 year old, I say good for him.  I wish I could.  

pappy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 08:23:04 PM »
word as long as i was potty trained i wouldnt mind acting like a 4 year old lol dont gotta put up with all that adult bull shit i wannna be a kid again

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 08:24:39 PM »
My favorite part is at the end, when he goes "And I want everybody to know, that I'm Brian Wilson, and I'm Here For Ya! ... Musically!"

LOL

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 10:22:32 PM »

First, I'm not stupid enough to click any links you post; it's enough of a waste to respond to your replies baiting me on.

He's never had a stroke, his father beat him as a child, so he can't hear in one ear, and talks to that side of his face.  He recorded the greatest album of all time like that, so I'm not going to start considering it a hinderance.

Greatest album of all time? Whoah,  if you mean Pet Sounds, sorry pal I disagree. Pet Sounds may have been the first theme based album, but that doesn't make it the greatest by any means. You state it like it's a fact or something. With out getting into the "music is subjective" thing I'll list a few albums that are far superior to Pet Sounds, and I won't even list any Springsteen ones.

Bob Dylan- Highway 61 revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the tracks

Pink Floyd- Dark Side, The Wall

The Beatles- Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Sgt. Peppers

The Who- Tommy, Who's Next

Hell I'll even go so far as to say GnR's Appetite was better.

JTSimon

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 11:52:44 PM »

That wasn't baiting...it was my observation.

Well thats cool how he made it through all that.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 01:07:02 AM by Vengaboys »

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 12:33:53 AM »
The music isn't my cup of tea but the guy seems cool as hell. Like an old dude you could just chill with and you could learn off of.

My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 05:41:15 AM »

Greatest album of all time? Whoah,  if you mean Pet Sounds, sorry pal I disagree. Pet Sounds may have been the first theme based album, but that doesn't make it the greatest by any means. You state it like it's a fact or something. With out getting into the "music is subjective" thing I'll list a few albums that are far superior to Pet Sounds, and I won't even list any Springsteen ones.

Well... that's your opinion.  I'll remind you that your opinion on Music is fucked, since you think Bruce Springsteen is the greatest artist of all time.  I digress.

I don't really care if you consider Pet Sounds the greatest album of all time, but in Europe, it consistantly tops the charts.  In America, it, Revolver, and Sgt. Peppers swap places usually.  So I think it's at least an arguable statement.

Anything by The Who, Guns & Roses, Pink Floyd, and Bob Dylan don't deserved to be discussed in the same sentence as Pet Sounds... that you would say they're "far superior" shows you don't know the difference between being a fan, and acknowledging greatness.  The Beatles get a player pass.  

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 07:14:01 AM »
You wanna see some cool shit? Watch the Talking Heads DVD "Stop Making Sense."  Its a great show and then there is an interview with the lead singer of the band David Byrn who is a nut and he plays the interviewer and the interviewee. its tight, especially if you're smoking, peace.
If tha bitch can't swim, then shes bound to drizzound!

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »
Pulp Fiction is a good movie.  

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 05:39:24 PM »
Pulp Fiction is a good movie.  
dont know were this came from, but, it sure is, my fav movie of all time... dialoge is just too good

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 10:36:45 PM »

Well... that's your opinion.  I'll remind you that your opinion on Music is fucked, since you think Bruce Springsteen is the greatest artist of all time.  I digress.

I don't really care if you consider Pet Sounds the greatest album of all time, but in Europe, it consistantly tops the charts.  In America, it, Revolver, and Sgt. Peppers swap places usually.  So I think it's at least an arguable statement.

Anything by The Who, Guns & Roses, Pink Floyd, and Bob Dylan don't deserved to be discussed in the same sentence as Pet Sounds... that you would say they're "far superior" shows you don't know the difference between being a fan, and acknowledging greatness.  The Beatles get a player pass.  

I never said Bruce was the greatest or best, I said he was my favourite and that he's better than Michael Jackson (and what I meant was more versatile). I apologize for the confusion.

But since you put Pet Sounds over the albums I mentioned, why don't you explain to me what makes Pet Sounds so great? I mean I like it, but you called it the greatest like it's a fact. So tell me what makes it better or even as good as "The Wall", or "Who's Next".

You say I have the problem of not being able to distinguish between preference and quality, but I think it's more you that have that problem. You talk about Wilson's musical ability and significance like the guy's fuckin Mozart or Beethoven. News flash!!!!!! He's not even close. I understand that Pet Sounds was the first album to have a reaccuring theme. But c'mon that's all it really had going for it. Some say it had a surprising amount of soul, but those people meant it had a surprising amount of soul for a Beach Boys album, or for a bunch of white guys, not for the sake of soul. If you look at the black artists of the day soul was oozing out of there records way more than the Beach Boys' ones.

Now I don't want to seem like I'm putting down Pet Sounds, because I love the album. I own the album. And I frequently listen to the album. But I have a problem with someone calling it the absolute greatest, and then disgracing classic albums by Dylan, the Who, and Floyd. In the end there is no such thing as the greatest album, it's all subjective. I'ts all preference. There is no factual quality in art. It's not like saying one chair is better in quality than the other, because the chair could physically be built better and last longer. An album or a song is based on preference and emotion (and marketing), if people like it they like it. It doesn't make it good or better than another, because that is impossible.If industry insiders, reviewers and journalists deem it a masterpeice that doesn't make it one. (and for the record if you were to poll those people Springsteen would beat Jackson by a landslide, sorry had to get that in there). You can sit there on your high horse and pretend you know more about music than every other living person. You can feel special because you're the only guy you know your age that listens to and respects the music you do. But the reality is you know nothing, I know nothing. We're just a couple of idiots with very strong opinions about topics that are 100 percent irrelevent to the world. You like what you like and I like what I like. Don't ever be foolish enough to think that your opinion is stronger than mine, or vice versa.