Author Topic: GTA - SA breaks every sales record there is  (Read 1286 times)

Jome

GTA - SA breaks every sales record there is
« on: November 05, 2004, 09:34:36 PM »
Breaking Records Left and Right
Posted by DigitalD at 15:54. Category: General

Following up on San Andreas sales expectations we reported on previously, we now have some hard numbers to finally crunch down on.

San Andreas has broken the first-week sales record for videogames in the UK. San Andreas sold approximately 677,000 copies, Beating the previous record holder, Vice City, which sold 250,000 in its opening week. This information comes from UK research body Chart-Track, who estimates that Rockstar and Take2 have already made £24 million on sales in the UK.

In gross revenue terms, the game would have generated around UKP 24 million in the UK alone over the weekend, and projected across the world that figure could be as much as UKP 106 million, or put in international currency terms, $195.5 million or 153.97 Euro. Put in context, if a movie were to gross that much at the box office, it would instantly be classed among the all-time greats - that's how big Rockstar's game has become.
- GamesIndustry.biz, November

Yahoo reports on videogame rentals for the week from October 26th to October 31st. Apparently San Andreas broke through big time in videogame rentals, collecting $1,627,351 in its first week in rentals only. We have yet to see a press statement for actual sales figures for the US.

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" out-rented all other video game titles in its first week of release earning an unprecedented $1.6 million in consumer rental revenue for the week ending October 31, 2004, according to game intelligence from Rentrak's Home Video Essentials(TM).

The Take2 stock numbers are not looking as good as people would guess with these immense sales, though. Take2 (NASDAQ: TTWO) has been trading at a steady $30-34 for a while, yet the stock slumped down to §31 on the eve of San Andreas release, but has since come back to just over $34, and at the time of writing TTWO is valued at $34.61. More info at Yahoo finance.

mrtonguetwista

Re: GTA - SA breaks every sales record there is
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 09:38:57 PM »
They're saying that now, but Halo 2 drops in 4 days.  Already has around 2Mil pre-orders.

Jome

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 09:57:16 PM »
No chance in hell that Halo will beat GTA..
That's like saying Joe Budden will outsell Eminem. lol

Dumb ass Microsoft conveniently mentioned 2 millioned pre-orders when it's really just 2 million units SHIPPED to stores.. lmao.  :D

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 10:06:43 PM »
Both of them are a child's piss to the games of yesteryear.  You say it broke every sales record there is... did it break this?

30 Million copies sold - Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 10:16:04 PM »
No chance in hell that Halo will beat GTA..
That's like saying Joe Budden will outsell Eminem. lol

Dumb ass Microsoft conveniently mentioned 2 millioned pre-orders when it's really just 2 million units SHIPPED to stores.. lmao.  :D

Watch Halo 2 sales.  Halo has like a cult following.  Those 24hr Net cafes are built on Halo type games.  The review will probably be in Monday's USA Today.

You're too far to get it delivered to your doorstep so here's the site lol www.usatoday.com

Jome

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 11:20:44 PM »
^^ No chance, even the hardcore Halo clanbangers admits it can't compete with GTA.

Both of them are a child's piss to the games of yesteryear.  You say it broke every sales record there is... did it break this?

Hahaha.
For one, your numbers are wrong, Super Mario Bros. 3 sold 17.28M, and that's with a big grain of salt.
How you gonna compare a game that WAS SOLD WITH THE SYSTEM to a stand-alone game.. ??
Sales numbers from that era didn't differentiate between pack-in and regular sales the way they do now.

The 2 latest GTA-games are the 2 top selling games ever when pack-in games isn't counted, like they shouldn't be. (No charts count it)
And the new GTA-SA is on good way to crush the previous GTA-sales.

Thirteen

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 11:25:12 PM »
^^ No chance, even the hardcore Halo clanbangers admits it can't compete with GTA.

Hahaha.
For one, your numbers are wrong, Super Mario Bros. 3 sold 17.28M, and that's with a big grain of salt.
How you gonna compare a game that WAS SOLD WITH THE SYSTEM to a stand-alone game.. ??
Sales numbers from that era didn't differentiate between pack-in and regular sales the way they do now.

The 2 latest GTA-games are the 2 top selling games ever when pack-in games isn't counted, like they shouldn't be. (No charts count it)

i can never find a site with game sales... i'd like to see what goldeneye on the 64 made because i remember it being the highest selling game 3 years in a row....that game had tremendous staying power

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 11:47:19 PM »
dats fuckin sick

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 01:13:58 AM »

Hahaha.

17.8 Million...... in the U.S.  It sold 30 million worldwide.  My numbers are not wrong; please apologize.  Also, Supermario 3, was never included with the system.  It's the biggest selling stand alone game, ever.  If you want to talk about games included with the system, then lets talk about the original super mario brothers...... which sold 40 Million.  Just in America. 

Mario 3 wasn't a pack in.  If you ever played a fucking nintendo, you should know this. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 01:23:59 AM by Trauma »

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 01:29:07 AM »
BTW, Go Here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros_3

To catch up on what a real sales record is all about.  ... and change the title of your post, it most certainly hasn't broken 'every sales record there is'. 

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 04:37:42 AM »
They're saying that now, but Halo 2 drops in 4 days.  Already has around 2Mil pre-orders.

Man GTA sold 677,000 copies here in the UK, just think how many it sold in the US in a week, even with a supposeded 2mil pre-orders it probably wouldn't reach what GTA has sold.

And Trauma is right Super Mario Bros 3 wasn't ever packaged with anything, just stand alone, so its sales figures are amazing. Dunno if GTA would ever get anywhere near that.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 05:25:27 AM »
you also gotta wait till GTA comes out for the Box and PC
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

The Watcher

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 05:45:26 AM »
i think halo 2 is going to sell quite insanely

i had to drive around to 7 stores today just to get a preorder. nobody would take anymore
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 06:07:33 AM »
i dont see whats so special about halo or halo 2.. i mean muliplayer is fun.. but its no counterstrike..

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 09:05:38 AM »
i've never played halo..so i can't judge...but it does make me wanna buy an Xbox =/
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008