Author Topic: How To Resurrect The West Coast imo.  (Read 620 times)

acbaylove

How To Resurrect The West Coast imo.
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »
And no, it's not The Game.. lol.

I mean, i was talking about it with my homie, 10 mins ago. I know some Bay Area or underground fanatics will disagree with me, but i  really thing there are some people who can resurrect the West, and surprisingly.... yes, it's the ones who owned gangsta rap 10 years ago. The old school, yeah.

2PAC
Yes, him. Why i'm saying that? Let me explain. Last day i was having a conversation with this old friend of mine. I used to be a 2Pac fanatic: i started to listen to rap thanx to Pac, and for some years i used to listen to Pac only, like Nima, Axle, LBC213 and my other homies in this board can confirm. So i had this conversation. He asked me: "What are you listening to these days?", Me: "Oh, right now i'm listening to that MC Eith and Spice 1 album". "Oh, Spice 1? The one of Jealous Got Me Strapped"? "Yeah". "Yes, last day i've seen an album of him in the shop, and i've bought it cause Pac was in it, and i wanted to check it". "Which album?", i asked him. "Amerikkaz Most Wanted"! -- Shit. One of the best albums ever!!! And that fool didnt even know Spice 1 but his collabo's with Pac. It reminded me how powerful was and still is Pac. Why? Cause i was exactly like him. How do you think i started to listen to Spice 1? Because of Jealous Got Me Strapped, yes! How do you think i started to listen to Too Short? To B-Legit? To E-40? To C-BO? To Chino XL? Etc.. Let's face it: Pac entered the charts at #1 10 years after he died. He's still so powerful. Until The End Of Time was 3x platinum, best West Coast album of the year. Better Dayz was i think 2x platinum, best selling album of the West, probably. This last one is a disgrace, but it was still #1. I'm saying Afeni should support the West Coast. She should add new cats in the album, she should have Bosko producing Pac's tracks, Balance and Sly Boogy showing their skills in the album, Yukmouth, TQ, B-Legit, C-BO, E-White, ecc.. (Yeah, dont get me wrong! I love OG's too, but since Afeni want remixes... those rappers are better than Eminem, G-Unit, Nas, Elton John, T.I., Dido, etc..). But ok, that's just a dream, Afeni wants just some $$, i understand it.

DR.DRE
I mean he's the best producer ever, but The Game is the first West Coast release of it's own label!! Shit, he's the Don! He did a great job with Eminem and 50 Cent/G-Unit, dont get me wrong (i mean they sold millions), but shit why them? Why not release a Sly Boogy album? Dude is 10 times more talentuos than G-Unit member, imo. And he's 101% West Coast. Produce him! Or another West Coast rapper. Shit, if Dre doesnt want to produce unknown guys at least make a NWA2 album, or an Ice Cube album, or a Snoop Dogg album, or a 213 album, a Xzibit album, a Crooked I album!!!!!!! Damn! I'm pissed off at him. He's still the best, but he's not really giving a fuck about the West. Look at The Game. Dre created him. Front to back. Now i want him to create other rappers like The Game. FROM THE WEST!!!

DEATH ROW
Yeah. You can hate them as much as you can, but the West needs Death Row in full effect. They still have thousands of fans, and they can really resurrect the West. If Suge will find a way to resurrect the label, it will be nothing but a positive thing for the West.

SNOOP DOGG
He should try to reunite the DPGC. And he should work with Dre. Man he's still getting millions. He re(RE, dont get me wrong)-launched Kokane, he launched E-White, he launched Goldie Loc, he invented the Doggy's Angels (not something to be proud to, lol), etc.. Well he can continue collaborating with other underground cats, launching them and promoting them. Plus he did a huge mistake with the 213 project, but we all know it already.

ICE CUBE
I know he's caring more about his acting career than his rap one. I mean i'm loving his movies, he's a skilled actor, and he should continue acting. But the West Coast needs an album of him, imo. Hopefully produced by Dre, and with MC Ren, WC, Mack 10 and them all in it. That WSCG album was tight, we need another one!! Other tracks from them. Other West Coast Anthems.

Now that the West got the spotlight again thanx to Game, it's time to really make another step and to stop with all these beefs and with people being jealous about each others.

Who does agree?

Acgrundy

Re: How To Resurrect The West Coast imo.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:35:19 AM »
I didn't even read anything, but no I don't agree.  there is no ressurection.  rap music is dead.  it will never be as good as it once was.  the industry is flooded with wack ass talentless garbage people who call themselves rappers, and consumers like them.  rap just gets worse and worse each year.  and everyone you posted, has gotten worse and worse with each new album they drop.  by 2010, there probably won't be a single rap album I could stand to listen to.

acbaylove

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:40:21 AM »
^^ I was expecting your reply like that. That's why i wrote in the beginning "I know some Bay Area or underground fanatics will disagree with me, but i really think there are some people who can resurrect the West, and surprisingly.... yes, it's the ones who owned gangsta rap 10 years ago. The old school, yeah".

I'm not saying they're doing quality music. But that they are still the ones people names when they talk about the West Coast. I know there're better producers than Dre, probably. And better rappers than Snoop, The Game, etc... but the only way for them to sell something outside Cali is if they works with those OG's. Or, to say it best, the only way they can shyne is if one of those OG's cares about them.

It's a fucked up situation, i know. But 50% of Dre, Snoop & 2Pac fans aint from Cali. And they dont know who Balance is.

P.S. I got Bo in my avatar, not The Game.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 10:48:37 AM »
Negative.

You're looking for the future in the past, and that's the EXACT reason why the West isn't resurrected.

What eventually needs to happen is for the Majors to come scouting out here, look at the amount of talent we have in L.A, Daygo and especially in tha Bay, some of you cats have no idea what I'm talkin about, but trust me, we got so much talent that it's ridicilous, GaMe might help that situation since the spotlight can be on him IF he doesn't FLOP.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

acbaylove

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 10:58:20 AM »
Negative.

You're looking for the future in the past, and that's the EXACT reason why the West isn't resurrected.

What eventually needs to happen is for the Majors to come scouting out here, look at the amount of talent we have in L.A, Daygo and especially in tha Bay, some of you cats have no idea what I'm talkin about, but trust me, we got so much talent that it's ridicilous, GaMe might help that situation since the spotlight can be on him IF he doesn't FLOP.

Man trust me i do agree with you and Grundy. I LOVE the Bay. The future is there. But what you wrote will not happen. Period. :-\

Suga Foot

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 11:07:40 AM »
wasn't there rumors of San Quinn and Roc A Fella?

imo Quinn could easily be a platinum selling artist.

acbaylove

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 11:08:55 AM »
wasn't there rumors of San Quinn and Roc A Fella?

imo Quinn could easily be a platinum selling artist.

San Quinn is a living legend damn!!!

Acgrundy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »
^^ I was expecting your reply like that. That's why i wrote in the beginning "I know some Bay Area or underground fanatics will disagree with me, but i really think there are some people who can resurrect the West, and surprisingly.... yes, it's the ones who owned gangsta rap 10 years ago. The old school, yeah".

I'm not saying they're doing quality music. But that they are still the ones people names when they talk about the West Coast. I know there're better producers than Dre, probably. And better rappers than Snoop, The Game, etc... but the only way for them to sell something outside Cali is if they works with those OG's. Or, to say it best, the only way they can shyne is if one of those OG's cares about them.

It's a fucked up situation, i know. But 50% of Dre, Snoop & 2Pac fans aint from Cali. And they dont know who Balance is.

I know u know that popular rap music nowadays is straight garbage.  is that really what you want to see the westcoast turn to?  Do you really want to hear C-Bo collabing with snoop on a kayne west beat with lil jon yelling in the background?  I sure don't.  I can't stand selling out, I lose 100% respect for anyone who sells out.  And thats what it takes in this day and age, to be a popular well known rapper.

DJ Quik, who I had so much respect for, for retiring, rather than selling out, looks as if he has sold out on his new album.  Its sickening.  and I don't blame it on him, I don't blame it on the rappers themselves, except for snoop.  Its the industry's fault, and the consumers fault.  These rappers gotta eat, they want to be rich, who doesn't?  And the style of rap that I like is never gonna make another rapper rich, famous and popular.

I mean, what would you think if you saw Celly Cel or Jayo Felony being consistently played on MTV these days?  if they were all over TRL?  You know what their fan base would be.  And you know their style that has grabbed the attention of me and you, is not gonna grab the attention of a 12 year old girl or a 10 year old boy.  so what does that mean?  it means they will have to drastically change aka sellout.

For me, its a lose lose situation.  For rappers like mc eiht, spice 1, mc ren, mitchy slick, c-bo, jayo, tray deee, etc.  its a lose lose situation.  Some of those guys can make a good living independently off their loyal westcoast fans.  but I can understand why MC Ren does not care to work on and put out another album right now or in the near future.  I mean, don't kid yourself, who the hell is gonna buy it?  Most of the rap consumers these days don't even know who MC Ren is.  How fuckin sad is that?  I remember about a year ago, someone who has been posting here for a long time (I forget who, but he is a snoop dogg groupie to the fullest) didn't know who DJ Slip was.  WTF is that?  this a westcoast rap forum, and you don't know who DJ Slip is?  Give me a fuckin break.

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 11:45:34 AM »
DJ Quik, who I had so much respect for, for retiring, rather than selling out, looks as if he has sold out on his new album.  Its sickening.
Shouldn't you hear it before you loose your respect for DJ Quik?

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 11:48:02 AM »
Antonio...Man I agree with just about everything you said.  Especially about 2Pac.  I'm sure a lot of those album sales were inflated by some people who bought it for Eminem and 50 Cent, but the majority of people were buying it just because it was 2Pac.  Now if there were guest artists on there such as Sly Boogie, Mitchy Slick, etc. then people who bought that 2Pac might look for albums from these rappers too.  It would definitely gain exposure for west coast artists.  That new 2Pac album would have been #1 regardless, so why not use it to shine the spotlight on lesser known west-coast acts?

And Dr. Dre man...he just needs to produce MORE!  There is not that many singles/videos that come out that are produced by Dre, but the ones that do are hot as hell!  Why doesn't he produce more?  He's got the talent and the single is sure to be hot....

The main thing that could bring the spotlight over to the west is to make another N.W.A album.  And promote the hell out of it.

Suga Foot

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 11:52:24 AM »
if only Roger was still alive....

acbaylove

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 11:54:17 AM »

I know u know that popular rap music nowadays is straight garbage.  is that really what you want to see the westcoast turn to?  Do you really want to hear C-Bo collabing with snoop on a kayne west beat with lil jon yelling in the background?  I sure don't.  I can't stand selling out, I lose 100% respect for anyone who sells out.  And thats what it takes in this day and age, to be a popular well known rapper.

DJ Quik, who I had so much respect for, for retiring, rather than selling out, looks as if he has sold out on his new album.  Its sickening.  and I don't blame it on him, I don't blame it on the rappers themselves, except for snoop.  Its the industry's fault, and the consumers fault.  These rappers gotta eat, they want to be rich, who doesn't?  And the style of rap that I like is never gonna make another rapper rich, famous and popular.

I mean, what would you think if you saw Celly Cel or Jayo Felony being consistently played on MTV these days?  if they were all over TRL?  You know what their fan base would be.  And you know their style that has grabbed the attention of me and you, is not gonna grab the attention of a 12 year old girl or a 10 year old boy.  so what does that mean?  it means they will have to drastically change aka sellout.

For me, its a lose lose situation.  For rappers like mc eiht, spice 1, mc ren, mitchy slick, c-bo, jayo, tray deee, etc.  its a lose lose situation.  Some of those guys can make a good living independently off their loyal westcoast fans.  but I can understand why MC Ren does not care to work on and put out another album right now or in the near future.  I mean, don't kid yourself, who the hell is gonna buy it?  Most of the rap consumers these days don't even know who MC Ren is.  How fuckin sad is that?  I remember about a year ago, someone who has been posting here for a long time (I forget who, but he is a snoop dogg groupie to the fullest) didn't know who DJ Slip was.  WTF is that?  this a westcoast rap forum, and you don't know who DJ Slip is?  Give me a fuckin break.

I'm just depressed, man.

The Game and Sly Boogy are the living proof that it's not about being a skilled MC to sell well and to get recognition. It's all about 2Pac, Dre, Snoop & Death Row. STILL.

Change Tha Game with San Quinn and you have probably a better album. I'm not hating on Game, i'm just saying Dre created him.

Dre CAN.

Alone nobody can. No more. Look at Sly Boogy. He's damn dope, but nobody gives a fuck about him. Look at Warren G. His album was fire, but nobody cared. Look at Dj Quik. The best albums of 2002/04 didnt even go platinum while Game is 3x platinum NOW, without even the album out. You know what i mean?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 12:00:27 PM by Antonio »

Acgrundy

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 11:58:36 AM »
DJ Quik, who I had so much respect for, for retiring, rather than selling out, looks as if he has sold out on his new album.  Its sickening.
Shouldn't you hear it before you loose your respect for DJ Quik?

nowhere in my entire post did I say I lost respect for quik.  I said it LOOKS as if he has sold out on his new album, meaning I am anticipating it from what I have read in his recent interviews.  and if someone came up to me and offered me an honest bet of everything I own on whether or not I will be dissapointed with quik's new album, I would take the bet that I'm gonna be dissapointed.  Hell, I hope to God that he puts out a classic banger, but I been listening to rap for so long, that its pretty easy for me to anticipate things, and hardly anything in rap ever surprises me anymore.  but even if quik does release an album chock full of wack guests that I can't stand, I will still have respect for him.  He is a legend.  Up there with mc eiht, spice 1, mc ren, e-40, dr. dre, I don't think I will ever lose respect for any of them.  I don't like a damn thing dre does nowadays, spice 1's last album was complete garbage, MC Eiht's recent albums are mediocre and have very little replay value, 40's albums are no where near as good as his old stuff, but I still got mad respect for all these guys.

Suga Foot

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »
A lot of these rappers are doin it to themselves too.  Nowadays you gotta do it for your self.  They gotta get out there and hustle, get on mixtapes, go to radio stations ect.  Getting a deal isn't enough.  It's just a starting point.

acbaylove

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 12:04:04 PM »
A lot of these rappers are doin it to themselves too.  Nowadays you gotta do it for your self.  They gotta get out there and hustle, get on mixtapes, go to radio stations ect.  Getting a deal isn't enough.  It's just a starting point.

But arent they multi-multi millionaires yet? Do they need to be selfish YET? They didnt create themselves from nothing. They should do the same with other promising rappers. It's a cycle. You created me? I'll create another rapper....