Author Topic: For the first time in my life, my favorite artist/album is not hip-hop...  (Read 485 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Hip-hop really must be dead...   I just realized that the only cd that I have listened to consistently for the last year is not a hip-hop album.  This is the first time in my life that this has happened.  The hip-hop albums I've liked over the last year, such as lord Jammar "5 Percenter Album", Nas "Hip-Hop Is Dead" and Game "The Doctor's Advocate", along with all the old 90's albums I still listen to... have lost much of their replay value.  I will listen to them for a week and then not listen to them again for months. 

My new favorite...Lucky Dube... genre- Reggae!   When I first dabbled into reggae ofcourse I checked out the Marley family, but I didn't like it in the same way I love hip-hop albums.  But Lucky Dube is different.  This dude can bring you to tears, there's no artist who can touch your emotions like him, and his subjects are adult subjects (fatherhood, love, marriage/divorce, polotics, addiction), and since I'm 25 now, it fits my lifestyle better than the average rap record.

I've been listening to his 1996 album "Serious Reggae" for over a year now.  I don't even know if this is his best cd or his worst cd, his been around a long time and has many albums, "Serious Reggae" it was played to me by a friend, and I bought it for myself.  Just recently I bought another one of his albums, "The Way It Is", again, I didn't know if it was one of his best or his worst, it just happened to be the one on the shelf at Best Buy.  But again, the cd, had a lot of great tracks on it, especially "Till You Lose It All" is a timeless track.

My new favorite album...

Lucky Dube- Serious Reggae

Favorite Tracks:

4. "Slave"-  This song is about a man being a slave to alcohol addiction, and his dignity has been lost, and it has affected his family.
8. "Oh My Son"-  This may be the most emotional track of all, he explains to his son in the song, how his mother and him had to get a divorce, and tells his son he is sorry.
9.  "Remember Me"-  I was told that this song is an anthem throughout Africa.  This song is about a son searching for his father who left many years ago, but the son still wants his dad to know that he loves him, and to remember him.
10. "I Wanna Know What Love Is"-  This is a remake of that 80's hit, it's a beautiful track, I've never heard a better remake.
11.  "House of Exile"-  This is a political track about a freedom fighter who has left everything to struggle for freedom and justice.  There's many touching lines in the song, my favorite is when he says something like.. "Sun went down on the mountain/ Birds flew back to their hiding places/ Leaving him standing there like a telephone poll... In the steel of the night, you and I dream" ....."(As lovers dream) of Romeo and Juliet/ All He dreams about is the freedom of the nation".

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:54:27 AM by Shakur Abdul-Latif's Definition Of Hip-Hop..by -Infinite- »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
I'm impressed. I mean he's not even muslim.

Chief

never heard of it, might check it out.

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!

lol

Elevz

Does seem nice indeed - I'll give this a try. Props.

E. J. Rizo

you know i think im in the same boat as you.. .might be that im just getting older or could be that hip hop is just not as good as it used to be... or im just not as interested any more...

but right now Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium has been getting crazy play from me and all their old stuff...

Al Bundy

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
eekamouse is the shit too

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

CaliKorleone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I've been playing a lot of Rick James lately.  Starting to like his music.
Welcome to the land of the killas, gangsta, hustlas, playas
Westcoast, The real life San Andreas
The real niggaz, jack suckas, fuck the haters
We got bitches, chronic, Lakers, Raiders

Paul

looks kinda gay :)
funkyfreshintheflesh

Narrator

I wonder if we can ever get Infinite into Cat Stevens (or rather, Yusef Islam), but I don't think that's likely cause dude is white.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I wonder if we can ever get Infinite into Cat Stevens (or rather, Yusef Islam), but I don't think that's likely cause dude is white.

Black people make better music than white people.  However, as a a Muslim I have a great respect for Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam) and I've actually met him personally back in 2003 he came to my city for an Islamic confrence.  I also enjoy his music that he made back in the day, and also the material he has done since becoming a Muslim, he has a whole cd called Prayers of the Prophet I used to own and listen to.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow

Paul

funkyfreshintheflesh

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
sounds sick...can u up it?