Author Topic: bird vs james  (Read 1048 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: bird vs james
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 06:49:03 AM »
If LeBron James played in 1980, he would be considered the greatest thing to ever play a sport.

Same goes for Kobe before you absurd homosexuals start crying.

The game changed, people are more athletic. James's build is BEYOND what was thought possible back then.

Larry Bird is a legend, with "rings" & was caught up in a Laker/Celtic rivalry.

Put him on an insignificant team during the 80's & he wouldn't get such recognition.

Saying LeBron is better is a stretch because people are ignorant & can't put together that the game was completely different in terms of size. Nobody LeBron's build could dribble and pass like LeBron can.

So if you judge it "by the book", you can't even compare the two, it's Bird.

But if you have an open mind & think about it, James.

That's a crock of shit. Jordan wasn't any more athletic in the 90s than he was in the 80s and no one was calling him better than Bird and Magic in the 80s. And Jordan was never any less of a build than Kobe is now and Kobe s on top the league, just like Jordan would be if he played now. Whether it's Jordan 88 or Jordan 98. And if Larry Bird was on the Celts this and last year instead of Pierce, Kobe never would have gotten his 4th or 5th rings.

Larry was never the most athletic. He was the smartest. Yeah, I get it, LeBron has the build of an outside linebacker, but he wouldn't be any more dominant in the 80s than Jordan was.

I disagree and will continue to because you cannot provide substancial evidence to prove me wrong. It's not possible to have any, it's a question of faith.

And anyway, this is a question of LeBron or Bird. Bird has shooting, no question at all. But every other category goes to LeBron; driving, passing, handeling, defense, on the break, etc.

& nobody said Jordan was better in the 80's because Jordan didn't have any rings. I don't know who came up with this ring argument, but it's driving me crazy lol. It's like people are completely blind to the thought, regardless if Magic & Bird were the best players, they EASILY had the best support in the entire league. Magic had two future HOFers; as did Bird lol.

You used it for Peyton, it applies here. Hypothetically speaking, lets say LeBron won last year. I think it's basically safe to say that it would have been one of the worst overall teams to win a Final ever.

I can't really speak for before the 90's besides the 80's Lakers/Celtics, but if they won last year they easily would have been the worst overall team to win a Final in the past twenty years lol.

People need to get past the rings & realize this guy is averaging like 30, 7 & 7 in his career; obviously one of the greatest players.

You're really helping me out with the Jordan argument, that I was making. Debate my point with my point. Good move. Jordan was as good in the mid 80s as he was in the mid 90s, and mid 90s Jordan is as good as current Kobe. Current Kobe runs the league, so if 90s Jordan could run the league, then so could 80s Jordan, and 80s Jordan was as good as Bird, not better. So by simple deductive mathematical logic, 80s Bird would run the league in today's game.

Is that too complicated for you?

The Celts that won rings were great teams. But the rookie year for Bird had a terrible Celtics team that was at the bottom of the league the year before he got there. As a rookie he lead them from 29 wins to 61 wins and from no playoffs for a few years to the Eastern Conference Finals. No Parrish, no McHale, no Ainge, no shit. As a fucking rookie.

And don't even bother comparing the NFL to the NBA. Peyton is only one small aspect of an NFL team. So much of an NFL win and loss has nothing to do with a QB. The leader of an NBA team is on the court for every crucial moment and everything goes through him. Cleveland had Boston and Lebron gave up. I don't know or care what was going on at home. They needed him to step up and take charge and he stepped back. Larry Bird and the Cavs win that series (even if Larry walked in on Shaq and Ilgauskas DPing his mom). There is something to be said for grit. And I was a huge Lebron over Kobe supporter until I saw Lebron quit.

I don't care about rings or what happens in the end. I watch people play. And I'm not saying it's an obvious choice or anything, but from what I've seen with my own eyes, The Legend trumps the self proclaimed King.

Tha A

• 'G'
  • when it was good to be a knick
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 07:28:51 AM »
If LeBron James played in 1980, he would be considered the greatest thing to ever play a sport.

The game changed, people are more athletic. James's build is BEYOND what was thought possible back then.

Put him on an insignificant team during the 80's & he wouldn't get such recognition.

Saying LeBron is better is a stretch because people are ignorant & can't put together that the game was completely different in terms of size. Nobody LeBron's build could dribble and pass like LeBron can.

That's a crock of shit. Jordan wasn't any more athletic in the 90s than he was in the 80s and no one was calling him better than Bird and Magic in the 80s. And Jordan was never any less of a build than Kobe is now and Kobe s on top the league, just like Jordan would be if he played now. Whether it's Jordan 88 or Jordan 98. And if Larry Bird was on the Celts this and last year instead of Pierce, Kobe never would have gotten his 4th or 5th rings.

Larry was never the most athletic. He was the smartest. Yeah, I get it, LeBron has the build of an outside linebacker, but he wouldn't be any more dominant in the 80s than Jordan was.

I disagree and will continue to because you cannot provide substancial evidence to prove me wrong. It's not possible to have any, it's a question of faith.

And anyway, this is a question of LeBron or Bird. Bird has shooting, no question at all. But every other category goes to LeBron; driving, passing, handeling, defense, on the break, etc.

& nobody said Jordan was better in the 80's because Jordan didn't have any rings. I don't know who came up with this ring argument, but it's driving me crazy lol. It's like people are completely blind to the thought, regardless if Magic & Bird were the best players, they EASILY had the best support in the entire league. Magic had two future HOFers; as did Bird lol.

You used it for Peyton, it applies here. Hypothetically speaking, lets say LeBron won last year. I think it's basically safe to say that it would have been one of the worst overall teams to win a Final ever.

I can't really speak for before the 90's besides the 80's Lakers/Celtics, but if they won last year they easily would have been the worst overall team to win a Final in the past twenty years lol.

People need to get past the rings & realize this guy is averaging like 30, 7 & 7 in his career; obviously one of the greatest players.

You're really helping me out with the Jordan argument, that I was making. Debate my point with my point. Good move. Jordan was as good in the mid 80s as he was in the mid 90s, and mid 90s Jordan is as good as current Kobe. Current Kobe runs the league, so if 90s Jordan could run the league, then so could 80s Jordan, and 80s Jordan was as good as Bird, not better. So by simple deductive mathematical logic, 80s Bird would run the league in today's game.

The Celts that won rings were great teams. But the rookie year for Bird had a terrible Celtics team that was at the bottom of the league the year before he got there. As a rookie he lead them from 29 wins to 61 wins and from no playoffs for a few years to the Eastern Conference Finals. No Parrish, no McHale, no Ainge, no shit. As a fucking rookie.

And don't even bother comparing the NFL to the NBA. Peyton is only one small aspect of an NFL team. So much of an NFL win and loss has nothing to do with a QB. The leader of an NBA team is on the court for every crucial moment and everything goes through him. Cleveland had Boston and Lebron gave up. I don't know or care what was going on at home. They needed him to step up and take charge and he stepped back. Larry Bird and the Cavs win that series (even if Larry walked in on Shaq and Ilgauskas DPing his mom). There is something to be said for grit. And I was a huge Lebron over Kobe supporter until I saw Lebron quit.

I don't care about rings or what happens in the end. I watch people play. And I'm not saying it's an obvious choice or anything, but from what I've seen with my own eyes, The Legend trumps the self proclaimed King.

on point

I ain't trying to start some shit with chamilitary click over this but people gotta stop acting like there weren't great athletes in 80's nba. bird faced some of the best perimeter defenders ever like rodman, scottie and cooper, and they had a really tough time guarding bird mostly due to his smartness and "shooting ability the only little insignificant thing he got over lebron". the league had great competition like the bad boys who played really hard ball and the rules could damage lebron's driving a lot. lebron IS the best physical specimen(with his mobility and ballhandling abilities) in the nba no matter what year he played and that don't mean he would've been the best thing ever if he played on the 80's, he would've been the same as now, not saying that's not great.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34:05 AM »
I'm always amazed how B-Ball fans are obssesed with comparing players ...

Did Bird and Bron play in the same era ? no , did they matchup against each other ? no ... end of discussion

try sports fans. but yeah it's always hard to compare players from different eras.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
Yeah that is a tough comparison. The only player skill and build wise that even comes close to Lebron back then was Len Bias (R.I.P.) and he was not even close to being as good a passer as Lebron

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »

on point

I ain't trying to start some shit with chamilitary click over this but people gotta stop acting like there weren't great athletes in 80's nba. bird faced some of the best perimeter defenders ever like rodman, scottie and cooper, and they had a really tough time guarding bird mostly due to his smartness and "shooting ability the only little insignificant thing he got over lebron". the league had great competition like the bad boys who played really hard ball and the rules could damage lebron's driving a lot. lebron IS the best physical specimen(with his mobility and ballhandling abilities) in the nba no matter what year he played and that don't mean he would've been the best thing ever if he played on the 80's, he would've been the same as now, not saying that's not great.

Don't worry, fam. No disrespect at all, just a debate.

But the thing with Bird is that they were defending his shooting, they were probably hoping he pump faked & tried to drive. If you jump on a LeBron pump fake, you might as well just give him two points or at least call it a given he is going to the line.

Players are more atheltic today than they were in the 80's, it's basically a fact. Not saying there weren't any, but LeBron wouldn't have to face one every night; just occasionally.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »

LOL, don't give me that "he led them to the ECF". LeBron was completely alone & got to the Finals & people discredit that because they fight this "you need a ring" argument. Take that out of the equation & you NOTHING to say about LeBron. I couldn't tell you who Bird had his rookie year, but I'm willing to make a bet that overall they were a MUCHHHH better team than LeBron had when he made it to the Finals with Daniel "Booby" Gibson as his major number two player.

& I don't know if you were just being a smartass or serious, but if you truly meant 80's Bird would run today's league, that's insane. I'd say he'd be worse in every single statistically category. Just like how if Shaq played in the 70's-80's, he would undoubtedly be considered the greatest ever.

I'd compare Larry Bird to Dirk, just a better passer; if Larry was playing today. Now if you had the choice of Dirk or LeBron, who would you take?

Players today hit the gym daily, spend hours upon hours practicing, have coaches fine tune their game & overall just stay in much better top physical shape than they did.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

on point

Don't worry, fam. No disrespect at all, just a debate.

But the thing with Bird is that they were defending his shooting, they were probably hoping he pump faked & tried to drive. If you jump on a LeBron pump fake, you might as well just give him two points or at least call it a given he is going to the line.

Players are more atheltic today than they were in the 80's, it's basically a fact. Not saying there weren't any, but LeBron wouldn't have to face one every night; just occasionally.

it's all good.

the thing is larry was so deadly shooting that he could fake and drive(which he can also do) or pass. now that's why defenders rather have lebron shooting than driving because he's a beast attacking the basket, once he develops his game(specifically his jumpshot) and proves himself leading a team, racking mvp trophies and titles, and remaining consistent, then I would say he passed bird but not right now, he already tarnished his legacy a bit by moving to miami but let's see what happens. right now he ain't touching bird imo. of course players are more athletic today, the game changes, we developed, we now know much more. lebron would faced much more competition in terms of teams, I'll tell that much.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »

LOL, don't give me that "he led them to the ECF". LeBron was completely alone & got to the Finals & people discredit that because they fight this "you need a ring" argument. Take that out of the equation & you NOTHING to say about LeBron. I couldn't tell you who Bird had his rookie year, but I'm willing to make a bet that overall they were a MUCHHHH better team than LeBron had when he made it to the Finals with Daniel "Booby" Gibson as his major number two player.

& I don't know if you were just being a smartass or serious, but if you truly meant 80's Bird would run today's league, that's insane. I'd say he'd be worse in every single statistically category. Just like how if Shaq played in the 70's-80's, he would undoubtedly be considered the greatest ever.

I'd compare Larry Bird to Dirk, just a better passer; if Larry was playing today. Now if you had the choice of Dirk or LeBron, who would you take?

Players today hit the gym daily, spend hours upon hours practicing, have coaches fine tune their game & overall just stay in much better top physical shape than they did.

taking all the rings and mvp trophies away, comparing them both as players until lebron develops his game more(if he can do that, I believed he's not in his prime yet) bird is better. like I've said that celtics team had one of the worst records before bird got there and teams faced greater competition than they do today. you also gotta take in consideration that when lebron came into the league he was not that physical specimen that he is today despite being a great player, he developed his body and if he played in the 80's he would have not been like what he is today(that's why it is difficult to compare players from different eras). bird could develop much more in this day and age but even if he didn't all that much he would still dominate today, he didn't need no athleticism, he was deadly and too smart, just go watch games from the 80's celtics. don't even compare him to dirk man, dirk is big and a great shooter, bird could shoot better, pass better, rebound better, better at going to the hoop, better facilitator and he wasn't your typical pure shooter like ray allen or such, he developed his shooting with time and he could create his own shot, also dirk folds too much under pressure, bird didn't. and I agree completely with your last sentence, that's why you can't say lebron would dominate the 80's(it's not the 50's/60's were basketball was made mostly by skinny white boys) and that bird wouldn't dominate today. all in all it's a tough discussion but right now as a player bird is better(you gotta see him play really), in the end lebron can be greater as a player and career wise(though more difficult due to his recent transaction), we just gotta wait in see what happens.

theremedy360

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »
Different athletes in different eras, but it's obvious that LeBron is nowhere close to Bird in terms of achievements.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
LOL!!  No comparison here, Larry Bird shits all over Bron Bron.

DIP DIP SET SET

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULvo7__wwBU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=pt_PT" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ULvo7__wwBU?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=pt_PT</a>

that's some sick shit and all I got say is you can't even see half of bird's greatness just by watching these highlights, I got some tapes from the lakers, celtics, pistons and 76's best games from the 80's and youtube also got some games, you really gotts watch him play just to see how great he was, just like magic, jordan, kareem, hakeem... all the great ones. now lebron is ballin like crazy right now but he ain't touching bird(at least yet).

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
Cham, shut up about the shooting. You really have no idea what kind of player Bird was. Before the knees started hurting he was an inside scrapper. It wasn't until later that he became Mr 3-point shot because his body was beaten down. You don't only last in the league ten years if you're just an outside shooter. His defense and boards were also incredible. To compare him to Dirk is a joke.

And all that garbage about training and fine tuning; Jordan had all that, and he was never any better than Bird when they played together. Explain that? Unless you think Jordan would be barely better than average in today's league.

Steve Nash was 2 time MVP in recent years and Bird shits over Nash. He beat you with his mind first. That's one thing Lebron can't compete with him. I'm not saying Lebron is stupid, he's just not Larry Bird smart.

And go look through that 1980 team. The only two recognizable names are Cowan and Maravich and both had limited roles as their careers were over by then. Cedric Maxwell was there too. It was the same team as the year before that won 29 games. Add a rookie Larry Bird.

The bottom line is Lebron James quit this year and the fucking asshole made me a Kobe fan. I'll never forgive him for that. If Peyton Manning left the game down by two scores with a minute to go I'd go back to cheering for Brady.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
Before the knees started hurting he was an inside scrapper. It wasn't until later that he became Mr 3-point shot because his body was beaten down.

very true, lot of people don't know that.

Cham, shut up about the shooting. You really have no idea what kind of player Bird was. Before the knees started hurting he was an inside scrapper. It wasn't until later that he became Mr 3-point shot because his body was beaten down. You don't only last in the league ten years if you're just an outside shooter. His defense and boards were also incredible. To compare him to Dirk is a joke.

And all that garbage about training and fine tuning; Jordan had all that, and he was never any better than Bird when they played together. Explain that? Unless you think Jordan would be barely better than average in today's league.

Steve Nash was 2 time MVP in recent years and Bird shits over Nash. He beat you with his mind first. That's one thing Lebron can't compete with him. I'm not saying Lebron is stupid, he's just not Larry Bird smart.

And go look through that 1980 team. The only two recognizable names are Cowan and Maravich and both had limited roles as their careers were over by then. Cedric Maxwell was there too. It was the same team as the year before that won 29 games. Add a rookie Larry Bird.

The bottom line is Lebron James quit this year and the fucking asshole made me a Kobe fan. I'll never forgive him for that. If Peyton Manning left the game down by two scores with a minute to go I'd go back to cheering for Brady.

very well put. think I'll just rest my case about this discussion, already said what I wanted too, now everybody's entitled to their opinion no matter if it's right or wrong.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »
forget to point out one big aspect of bird's game also, trash talking, he talked shit and backed that up like telling xavier mcdaniel he would hit the game winning shot on his face, he hit the shot and told mcdaniel he didn't mean to leave 2 seconds on the clock. he also told reggie miller after reggie tried to fuck up larry's concentration on a free throw that he was the best shooter in the league and buried the free throw. before the three point shootout he walked into the locker room and said he was winning it and was just looking around to see who's finishing second, he won that. that's some real swag right there.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »
forget to point out one big aspect of bird's game also, trash talking, he talked shit and backed that up like telling xavier mcdaniel he would hit the game winning shot on his face, he hit the shot and told mcdaniel he didn't mean to leave 2 seconds on the clock. he also told reggie miller after reggie tried to fuck up larry's concentration on a free throw that he was the best shooter in the league and buried the free throw. before the three point shootout he walked into the locker room and said he was winning it and was just looking around to see who's finishing second, he won that. that's some real swag right there.

Yeah, I remember a Rodman interview where he was asked who had the foulest mouth he'd heard on the court and he said Bird. People laughed but Rodman wasn't joking.