Author Topic: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum  (Read 1613 times)

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
the album was straight westcoast g shit, there were no attempt at crossover and appealing to another crowd

if the album was released today it would go double tin foil
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:39:51 PM by Detox Iz Not Active »
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Looking back, it's crazy that Eastsidaz went platinum
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
And the 2nd would have been well on it's way to platinum as well if the label would not have fell apart. Same with Doggy's Angels. I always thought Dogghouse/Doggystyle had the potential to be one of the illest labels but it never got going to it's full potential.

bouli77

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
the album was straight westcoast g shit, there were no attempt at crossover and appealing to another crowd

not that crazy. remember it came out in 2000 with Dre's 2001 bringing back westcoast g-shit to the forefront & the up in smoke tour coming up. i think the up in smoke tour helped that album sell a lot since they were part of that tour. Tha Eastsidaz album basically rode 2001's coattails and capitalized on the Snoop Dogg brand. so the more gangsta, the better. G'd Up's video was a mixture between What's My Name & Still D.R.E. : VIP Records, fine bitches, and lowriders. couldn't go wrong at the time.

what's crazier is how they managed to go gold with their sophomore album while the industry was falling apart and Snoop was taking a turn towards soul-inspired gangsta music that had no real mainstream appeal.

i'm much more amazed at DJ Quik's first album going gold and eventually platinum with little promotion and airplay (at the time radios like Power 106 refused to play him, only stations like KMEL would do so). or
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:12:52 PM by bouli77 »

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »

not that crazy. remember it came out in 2000 with Dre's 2001 bringing back westcoast g-shit to the forefront & the up in smoke tour coming up. i think the up in smoke tour helped that album sell a lot since they were part of that tour. Tha Eastsidaz album basically rode 2001's coattails and capitalized on the Snoop Dogg brand. so the more gangsta, the better. G'd Up's video was a mixture between What's My Name & Still D.R.E. : VIP Records, fine bitches, and lowriders. couldn't go wrong at the time.

what's crazier is how they managed to go gold with their sophomore album while the industry was falling apart and Snoop was taking a turn towards soul-inspired gangsta music that had no real mainstream appeal.

went gold off one single no less
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
different times

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
well, u know - back in the 90's and early 00's, if u wanted to have music - u had to actually go out n buy a physical record n bring it home.
it was differnet back then. i actually remember those times

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:09:22 PM »

i'm much more amazed at DJ Quik's first album going gold and eventually platinum with little promotion and airplay (at the time radios like Power 106 refused to play him, only stations like KMEL would do so). or
u shouldnt ...quik had more promo n airplay than u think...

quik had the box channel...everytime time u turned it on...born n raised, quik is the name, n tonite would follow..ice cube or aerosmith janie got a gun....

if it wasnt from that channel alot of artist would be local jokers...quik, 2nd II none, 2live crew, poison clan and bunch of others...gained fans from a channel that only recognized nuthin but miami music...n was focused on bass...

that channel alone open doors 4 alot of music to not jus the south..but anybody with cable..and each requested song added money to different folks

and other outlets playin his music outside the west coast..he didnt need 106 n kmel...he had the midwest and south behind em...tom joyner and mean green kept quik in rotation russ parr at one point as well..

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:13:36 PM by 3rd Coast »

bouli77

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
thanks for the info 3rd coast. makes sense. westcoast (especially bay) artists were selling a lot throughout the Southwest and Midwest in the 90's from what i've gathered.

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

quik had the box channel...everytime time u turned it on...born n raised, quik is the name, n tonite would follow..ice cube or aerosmith janie got a gun....

if it wasnt from that channel alot of artist would be local jokers...quik, 2nd II none, 2live crew, poison clan and bunch of others...gained fans from a channel that only recognized nuthin but miami music...n was focused on bass...

that channel alone open doors 4 alot of music to not jus the south..but anybody with cable..and each requested song added money to different folks

and other outlets playin his music outside the west coast..he didnt need 106 n kmel...he had the midwest and south behind em...tom joyner and mean green kept quik in rotation russ parr at one point as well..

Props To 3rd Coast For Always Dropping That Much Needed Knowledge To School Us.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

if it wasnt from that channel  of artist would be local jokers...quik, 2nd II none, 2live crew, poison clan and bunch of others...gained fans from a channel that only recognized nuthin but miami music...n was focused on bass...

Word up, always appreciate the posts in the yellow writing

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
yep no problem

u will be shocked how the music scene is in the south and the midwest

kmel wasnt playin too short n e-40 music...mean green took care of it

they were shut out for so long...they had to make their own lanes

its still stations in both the midwest n the south thats not ran by clear channel or radio one..citadel n the others...that dont play the same top 20 songs u see on mtv2 or bet..that are major market stations still privately owned

that dont turn down dreams...give em a outlet..and let the listeners choose whats good n whats not...thats how the ugks,mc breeds, doc's, e40s came in the door

its not all peaches n cream tho, u got djs n people that go by the pay to play rule...but its ways to hustle to hustler...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:53:29 PM by 3rd Coast »

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

if it wasnt from that channel  of artist would be local jokers...quik, 2nd II none, 2live crew, poison clan and bunch of others...gained fans from a channel that only recognized nuthin but miami music...n was focused on bass...

Word up, always appreciate the posts in the yellow writing

lol 4 real.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
those were the days. Back when Snoop would sell 2 million and people would call it a flop.

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
i bought both albums back in the day
The West is Back

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »
I just recently got my hard copy back from a friends storage and pop'd it in the xbox to burn. great album ! 8)

gangs & word of mouth also got them a lil notice, remember it was nothing to dub a cassette.
I remember my Unc's homie saying that this bitch they knew was dubbing shit from the box and selling it. "thats how she got them exclusives" LMAO now that i think about it, I was about 9 they where 20 or so.
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!