Author Topic: Letīs Be Honest, 99% Of West Coast Rappers Ainīt Shit Lyrically  (Read 946 times)

2euce 7even

Letīs Be Honest, 99% Of West Coast Rappers Ainīt Shit Lyrically
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
Example:

Ice Cube-You Know How We Do It

Love The Beat But The Lyrics Are So Cheap It Ainīt Funny Anymore.

Will_B

Re: Letīs Be Honest, 99% Of West Coast Rappers Ainīt Shit Lyrically
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:38:24 AM »
Example:

Ice Cube-You Know How We Do It

Love The Beat But The Lyrics Are So Cheap It Ainīt Funny Anymore.

Lotta heart in the track. Maybe u don't feel it so much.

7.5/10 for me. Can be better in the context of the album tho (u know how it works)

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:45:09 AM »
Hip-Hop music is much more than spitting the whole thesaurus.

Story telling doesnt need that Rakim, G Rap, Crook level of lyrics.

It just has to sound good.  8)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:39:11 AM »
maybe not so much on that song but Cube was one of the more lyrical rappers to come from the West

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
 Iam not sure i'd go that far(99%). But yeah it dose seem that most real big hip hop heads that i meet prefer east coast(or local). Also most people i meet that love Snoop and ice cube, etc arent really big hip hop heads as far as underground and that and would put DMX, lil Wayne, Puff Daddy and 50 cent in the same sentence as Ice Cube.
 i think when gangsta rap was so big it gave west coast rappers that bad impression that they all just rapped about the same shit and werent lyrical at all but i mean iam sure its teh same with the south.

Sccit

Re: Let´s Be Honest, 99% Of West Coast Rappers Ain´t Shit Lyrically
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »
ice cube was lyrically a beast....people mistake lyricism for rhyming big words with complex rhyme patterns. you can lyrically convey a message in its simplest form, and if that message has meaning and strength, ur lyrically beastin if ur able 2 paint a picture and grab the listeners mind with it.. simple or complex.

2euce 7even

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
ice cube was lyrically a beast....people mistake lyricism for rhyming big words with complex rhyme patterns. you can lyrically convey a message in its simplest form, and if that message has meaning and strength, ur lyrically beastin if ur able 2 paint a picture and grab the listeners mind with it.. simple or complex.

coudlntīve said it better.

do you think "you know who" was a lyricist?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
preach.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
When I saw this title, I never thought Cube would be mentioned!?!  He'd has some weak tracks lyrically (We Be Clubbin) but his lyrics are way better than these newbies today.  I think Cube's lyrics have gotten better in the past few years because he states the world as it is, not always talkin about drugs, guns, weed, drinks and women.

What's better lyrically: the last Cube album or the last Too Short album??? 

And I'll go so far to say that a high percentage of ALL rappers ain't shit lyrically.  Two of the most popular MC's in the game Jay-Z and Kanye come up with one of the worst rap songs in history "Niggaz In Paris".  Don't get me started on all the ways that song is shit.

YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Jimmy H.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
I know we don't always see eye to eye but I definitely agree with you on this. A lot of rappers think they have to come off as "super-lyrical" with everything they do and in truth, I think it fucks up a lot of potentially great music because they aren't confident enough to just spit from the heart and go with the vibe of the song. Crooked I, in particular, has had some bangers, that he really could have rode but would take me completely out of because he tried to show-off with a metaphor or something. An infectetous flow can actually make some basic lyrics sound phenemonal. On the other end if you have all these complex lyrics but the way your flow is meh.. then it's kind of tiring.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
Sometimes I wanna listen to shit thats more from the heart than a buncha jumbled up words from 12 different senior dissertations that make no sense when combined
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
you a fool if you listen to gangsta rap for lyrical proficiency... not that it's not nice to hear gangsta rappers get lyrical or that none of them are lyrical but it just ain't the point of gangsta music. gangsta rap / g-funk is about the beat, the vibe, and the flow, the way the rapper rides the beat and how melodic his/her flowing gets whereas traditional, boom bap rap is more about lyrical proficiency, who can kick the illest rhymes, the nicest sounding shit even if it doesn't mean shit but just sounds nice.

that's the reason why westcoast and south music appealed to me more than eastcoast rap in the beginning, as a foreigner who didn't understand jack i was attracted by the beats, the vibe and the flow. as well as the story telling. once i became a little bit more fluent in english i started listening to some more lyrical shit.

and ice cube is revered as one of the top lyricists in rap history. that being said you also have a grip of westcoast rappers, gangsta or not, who are super nice lyrically. ras kass, saafir, xzibit, kurupt, crooked I, san quinn, young ed, locksmith, hittman, hitman from rbl posse (rip), goldy, fatha dom, rappin ron (rip), luniz, e-40, gift of gab, ray luv, the dudes from freestyle fellowship, the list goes on.

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »
Gift of Gab ain't no joke.  I just got into Blackalicious recently.  Beats, flow AND lyrics are tight.

I usually need to feel everything: beat, lyrics, flow, originality AND vibe.  Old school rappers had all of that. 
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »

coudlntīve said it better.

do you think "you know who" was a lyricist?

if "you know who" is sccit tha shit, then yes 8)

Matty

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
west west y'all