Poll

Who do you like more ?

Prince
MJ

Author Topic: Prince or MJ  (Read 336 times)

Thirteen

Re: Prince or MJ
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 09:54:56 AM »
prince is just Fonkier

have to go with prince

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »
If were talking about the two of them visually then it's MJ, but musically it's Prince hands down in my opinion. The guy can sing better and has a more versatile voice, he's a way better technical musician, his production skills are better, he's a better lyricist and composer, and he's had more great albums. (Dirty Mind, Contraversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Love Sexy, and recently Musicology are all great albums).

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 10:19:05 AM »
If were talking about the two of them visually then it's MJ, but musically it's Prince hands down in my opinion. The guy can sing better and has a more versatile voice, he's a way better technical musician, his production skills are better, he's a better lyricist and composer, and he's had more great albums. (Dirty Mind, Contraversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Love Sexy, and recently Musicology are all great albums).

That's all true, Prince is more talented musically. I'd still pick MJ because he's a better entertainer, and has been makin hits since he was like 5, even if he didn't write em all. I think MJ needs great writers and all else around him to make him better, because his last album was alright but nothin great at all. Prince can make classic shit with no assistance.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 10:20:28 AM »
No contest. Prince is absolutely incredible. From Dirty Mind to Sign O The Times his catalogue was damn near flawless. Some of his 90s albums were so-so, but The Gold Experience was great. His latest album Musicology was excellent as well. MJ is cool but nothing he has done stands out like Prince's work to me.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 10:46:31 AM »
Prince for me, his albums are better imo & he has more all round talent

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 02:05:59 PM »
This is a tough one. Both are straight up legends. But, like it was said here:

prince is just Fonkier

I'ma go with Prince.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 03:10:53 PM »

That's all true, Prince is more talented musically. I'd still pick MJ because he's a better entertainer, and has been makin hits since he was like 5, even if he didn't write em all. I think MJ needs great writers and all else around him to make him better, because his last album was alright but nothin great at all. Prince can make classic shit with no assistance.

I guess I'm looking at it song for song and album for album. I don't factor in the entertainer part as much because you can easily argue guys like Jerry Lewis (not Jerry Lee Lewis) or Johnny Carson as better entertainers than both but musically they can't compete with either. Take people like Elvis and Frank Sinatra; as far as entertainers go in music they are among the best, but they both lose points for me in the overall department because their inability to write and compose music. The Beatles almost always beat Elvis in a best ever list, but if Elvis wrote all his songs and played all his instruments it would be no contest.

I do look at the over all package and consider entertainemt and live performaces and sometimes people can be so good at one thing it doesn't matter how bad they are at others, they still make it near the top. Bob Dylan can't sing too well, can't dance, or even play an instrument all that great but his songwriting skills are so superior he always comes near the top. Jimi Hendrix didn't exactly win pulitzer prizes with his writing, he couldn't dance or sing that well, but his raw musicianship with the guitar was so amazing he comes near the top as well. However the very top spot is usually always saved for the do it all type, like the Beatles (eventhough they were never acclaimed for their dance moves, they did have the entertainment part down).

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »
I agree with Shallow 100%

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 04:04:30 PM »
Except for the Elvis part (which comes down to personal taste though), I could co-sign on everything Shallow´s said. Prince is an amazing artist and as a musician he´s easily four times as talented as MJ. Personally, I even prefer his catalog. The old MJ stuff was great, but some of what Prince did is more exciting to me than anything by Michael. He´s more creative, more gifted and to me, more interesting. Vote goes to Prince

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 04:16:37 PM »
And I'm by no means a MJ hater. I love dude, he's the fucking King of Pop no doubt. And, if he fucked them little kids, I'm sure he had a good reason to do it (lol!!).
LMAO!!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 04:35:05 PM »
Except for the Elvis part (which comes down to personal taste though), I could co-sign on everything Shallow´s said. Prince is an amazing artist and as a musician he´s easily four times as talented as MJ. Personally, I even prefer his catalog. The old MJ stuff was great, but some of what Prince did is more exciting to me than anything by Michael. He´s more creative, more gifted and to me, more interesting. Vote goes to Prince

You never found Elvis entertaining on stage? Even so you can't deny the crowd reactions, which is basically what I base entertainment factor on. No matter how good you think someone might be if the crowd boos is he really good? and no matter how bad you think someone might be if the crowd explodes everytime is he really that bad? You know what I mean?

Compton Casanova

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 12:40:18 PM »
prince is dope. he is a one man band. he writes his own lyrics, and writes his own music and can play 10 different instruments. and unlike mj he stayed black and true to himself.

then there is mj whonobody has ever measured up to. he is the king of pop. and he beats prince on dancin. even thoughyou may not like him because he bleached himself and messed up his black futures, he's still da bomb.

so it is pretty much tied. but popularity wise, mj. >: ; :- ;D

ThA KiD

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 10:07:41 PM »
mj has issues with children and princes name was in that charlie murphey skit so imma go wit prince

DAYUM

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 10:52:20 PM »
Prince

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 11:55:31 PM »
prince is dope. he is a one man band. he writes his own lyrics, and writes his own music and can play 10 different instruments. and unlike mj he stayed black and true to himself.

then there is mj whonobody has ever measured up to. he is the king of pop. and he beats prince on dancin. even thoughyou may not like him because he bleached himself and messed up his black futures, he's still da bomb.

so it is pretty much tied. but popularity wise, mj. >: ; :- ;D

i don't get this ....you basically said prince is the better muscian , but since more people like mj and he dances better , he's princes equal?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09