Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #17...  (Read 401 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #17...
« on: July 17, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising (1989) 

I hate this album.  It's because of it that every artist nowadays feels like it's a nescessity to put skits on their albums even if they are useless and really doesn't have anything to do with the general theme and thus really hurting the overall impression of the albums.  With that said, this is one of the a handful of rap records that are absolutely unique landmarks on the historical map.  This arises through adaptation of the medium of rap music to the artist's sensibilities, and the fact is that some people are simply more creative than others.  The now legendary trio De La Soul, assisted heavily by Prince Paul, formed a creative team in 1989 that is still unmatched in the annals of rap history.  This album is innovative, musically perfect, and unbelievably fun.  In a time when even the finest artists were being restricted by the traditional concept of what a rap album should be, they broke all the rules and released a record that has still never been equaled.

The framing idea of the album is revealed in the intro, which exhibits a rather ridiculous game show that asks questions such as "how many fibers are intertwined in a shredded wheat biscuit," which introduces the playful essence of the album.  This theme is returned to at various points throughout. The first "traditional" song follows, an understated gem called "The Magic Number".  It doesn't necessarily make a whole lot of sense at first, but the rhymes are remarkably complex considering the tone of the record:

Difficult preaching is Posdnous' pleasure
Pleasure and preaching starts in the heart
Something that stimulates the music in the measure
Measure and the music brings in three parts
Casually see but don't do like the Soul
‘Cause seeing and doing are actions for monkeys

The hook is somewhere between rapping and singing, and it is executed flawlessly.  De La Soul is not restrained by tradition, so the chorus is nearly as lengthy as the two verses, and is not nearly as repetitive as most. Prince Paul's fingerprints are visible already, as bizarre vocal samples float around the track in strategic places.  Paul produced some excellent music for Stetsasonic, but nothing prepared the masses for his work here with De La Soul.

Despite the fact that the structure of this record is quite madly scattered, there is an astonishing collection of classic songs that are formed in a more usual manner.  On the second half of the disc alone, there is a collection of truly wonderful music, with essential songs scattered in between clever musical interludes.  "Potholes In My Lawn" is the first of these, a lighthearted and disguised look at paranoia of theft complete with a strange yodeling loop, which is something that could only be successful on an album such as this. "Plug Tunin' (Last Chance to Comprehend)" is one of the heavier productions, as Prince Paul stamps the track with somber horns amongst other, more melodic samples.  An additional version, the original 12'' song, has been tacked on at the end as well.  Another great jam arrives two tracks later with "Buddy".  The beat is among Prince Paul's very best, a laid-back groove with sublime drums, and the entire crew's chemistry is on full display.  A few minutes later, "Me, Myself, And I" allows Posdnous and Trugoy to begin ego tripping with some bragging time that for once is deserved.  The beat is powerfully jazzy, a funky track that has the will to elevate any gloomy mood.  Above all, as with everything else on this record, the tone is playful and the music is clearly a result of some friends having fun in the studio.

In keeping with the jumbled collection of musical samples, the rhymes from the Plugs are just as varied, and much of the lyrics are mischievous in a manner that is almost childish.  There are a couple of songs about teenage love whose tone recalls the carefree sentiments of schoolyard crushes.  "Ghetto Thang" discusses the ‘hood as only De La can.  "Tread Water" is an adventure with some of God's creatures, starring Mr. Crocodile, Mr. Squirrel, Mr. Fish, and Mr. Monkey.  Here, among other things, the underlying message given the group is to "always look to the positive and never drop your head."  Above all else, this line, uttered by Trugoy, embodies the spirit of this album.

During one's first listen, there comes a time after which the observer will become prepared for, and even expecting, anything.  Due to the density of this album's soundscapes and the energetic feeling it exudes, this does not change when revisiting it.  Because of the fact that no one can memorize every corner of 3 Feet High And Rising, every trip becomes a wild adventure, a plunge down rap music's version of the rabbit hole. And because there is not a sour note or word to be found, each listen is a refreshingly positive experience that no rap music fan should be without.  The unrestrained happiness of the creation process that resulted in this record is vividly evident in every snippet of old music that Prince Paul revitalizes and every word that the Plugs utter. 

50. Dr. Dre – 2001 (1999)
49. Outkast – Southernplayalisticaddicmuzik (1994)
48. Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt (1996)
47. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted: Dead Or Alive (1990)
46. Redman – Whut? Thee Album (1992)
45. De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991)
44. Fugees – The Score (1996)
43. The D.O.C. – No One Can Do It Better (1989)
42. Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)
41. Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)
40. Public Enemy – Fear Of A Black Planet (1990)
39. Ice Cube – Death Certificate (1992)
38. Gza/Genius - Liquid Swords (1995)
37. N.W.A – Efil4zaggin (1991)
36. Main Source – Breaking Atoms (1991)
35. Geto Boys – Grip It! On That Other Level (1989)
34. Brand Nubian – One For All (1990)
33. Scarface – The Diary (1994)
32. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Road To The Riches (1989)
31. Beastie Boys – Licensed To Ill (1986)
30. Ultramagnetic MC's – Critical Beatdown (1988)
29. LL Cool J – Radio (1985)
28. 2Pac – All Eyez On Me (1996)
27. Mobb Deep – The Infamous… (1995)
26. Eric B. & Rakim – Follow The Leader (1988)
25. Big Daddy Kane – It’s A Big Daddy (1989)
24. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – Mecca And The Soul Brother (1992)
23. Black Moon – Enta Da Stage (1993)
22. Outkast – Aquemini (1998)
21. A Tribe Called Quest – People’s Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm (1990)
20. Run-D.M.C. – Run-D.M.C. (1984)
19. Boogie Down Productions – By All Means Necessary (1988)
18. Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… (1995)
17. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising (1989)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 12:12:10 PM by C2Knuckles »

Diabolical

Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #17...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »
dopeness

Elevz

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 03:45:31 PM »
Hold on... Does this mean this record isn't anywhere near the top5? I definately wouldn't have expected to see this one so soon man. It truly is a gem, and also influential as hell. I just don't get it.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 04:26:44 PM »
Hold on... Does this mean this record isn't anywhere near the top5? I definately wouldn't have expected to see this one so soon man. It truly is a gem, and also influential as hell. I just don't get it.

Seventeen isn't too far from the top five.  I could put this as high as number ten I think, I never really thought this was top five material, but top twenty is no joke.

I'm sure from here on in to the top ten someone will think the album is top ten material.  I know I'll hear that on the next one for sure.

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:58:01 PM »

Seventeen isn't too far from the top five.  I could put this as high as number ten I think, I never really thought this was top five material, but top twenty is no joke.

I'm sure from here on in to the top ten someone will think the album is top ten material.  I know I'll hear that on the next one for sure.
I can't wait to see the next one since you have such certainty.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
the chronic?!   :-\

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »
good to see this.. props again.

Me, Myself, and I is my fav de la tune

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »
Excellent album, Prince Paul at his creative best

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
great shit, i wouldn´t consider it top FIVE shit either, MAYBE top 10 (not as for my personal taste, but from the most objective point of view possible maybe), but I think this spot is really adequate

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 01:18:25 PM »
sweet fuckin album...i remember hearing this for the first time 5-6  years ago (wasn't really into hip-hop back then)...this album helped me see the light
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008