Author Topic: Let's Face it, Dr Dre Has Fallen off Big Time  (Read 697 times)

CWalker187

Let's Face it, Dr Dre Has Fallen off Big Time
« on: July 04, 2001, 02:07:42 PM »
I find it amazing that people on this message board talk about Dr Dre like he is still tight. I think you guys have talked yourself into liking the crap that he has been putting out of late, but deep down you know it sucks. True fans of Dre that have followed his career since the late 80's know that he is wack now. The reason: he has completely abandoned the funk sound.

Now he sounds like a basic, run of the mill, east coast producer. Nothing he makes is distinctive like it used to be. Nowadays, all his stuff sounds the same: the songs he did on Eminem's last album sounds almost identical to the work he did on Xzibit and Eve's albums. Heck, I think the beat from "the Message" off 2001 is the exact same one he used for Eve's "Blow Your Mind".

The simiilarity between all his songs wouldnt be that bad if they at least sounded good, but they dont. What happened to the laid back funk sound from The Chronic? Or the up banging, up tempo beats from NWA's two albums? Yeah those sounds may be a little out dated, but I think younger producers like Meech Wells, Battlecat, and Fred Wreck have shown that you can take these old classic sounds and update them for today's audience.

Unfortunately, for the most part Dr Dre doesnt do that. Like I said before, he sounds like an average, run of the mill east coast producer. What happened to the  layered and complex tracks he used to put down? Nowadays all his beats are stripped down, basic, and very boring.

In my opinion, Dre's 2001 album was mediocore at best, and definitely not the classic everyone makes it out to be. I think the only two great songs on it are the "The Next Episode" and "Xxplosive". A few other songs like "Fuck You" and "The Watcher" are pretty good, but the rest of the album  is garbage. The same goes for most of his other work with Eminem, Xzibit, Eve etc. Do you actually think people will be bumping the stuff he is doing now in ten years? No way. None of it is classic like the Chronic, Doggystyle, Straight Outta Compton etc. That stuff will be played 25 years from now. In contrast, I highly doubt Dre's newer stuff will be remembered 1 year from now.

Last Dragon

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Let's Face it, Dr Dre Has Fallen off Big Time
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2001, 02:16:01 PM »
Let Me Guess....  YOu post over at the Deathrow forum. ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2001, 02:16:53 PM »
lol oh boy your gonna get it

first dre is still better than any producer out there, no one can match his talent NO ONE, not primo , not rza, not daz, not pete, not fred and definatly not meech, the only 2 that come close are warren and quik and they still gawk at his talents and are amazed...still

and to say his beats suck now is the funnniest thing i've heard all my life ...really your the next chris rock/eddie murphy, if he's so bad then why is every one and their momma riding his cock in the music biz , why is every one and their dog's ucnles' owners' roache's baby's momma's goldfish wanting him to produce their album

not being remembered in a year?? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha chronic 2001 remained on the charts for a year and they still play his shit from that on the radio all the time

i mean damn dogg just becuase you ain't feelin' dre no more don't make it fact , all i got to say is i'm going to feel sorry for you when the homie mellow man schools you like iverson and bashes you like shaq

peace!

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2001, 02:39:20 PM »

I find it amazing that people on this message board talk about Dr Dre like he is still tight. I think you guys have talked yourself into liking the crap that he has been putting out of late, but deep down you know it sucks. True fans of Dre that have followed his career since the late 80's know that he is wack now. The reason: he has completely abandoned the funk sound.

Now he sounds like a basic, run of the mill, east coast producer. Nothing he makes is distinctive like it used to be. Nowadays, all his stuff sounds the same: the songs he did on Eminem's last album sounds almost identical to the work he did on Xzibit and Eve's albums. Heck, I think the beat from "the Message" off 2001 is the exact same one he used for Eve's "Blow Your Mind".

The simiilarity between all his songs wouldnt be that bad if they at least sounded good, but they dont. What happened to the laid back funk sound from The Chronic? Or the up banging, up tempo beats from NWA's two albums? Yeah those sounds may be a little out dated, but I think younger producers like Meech Wells, Battlecat, and Fred Wreck have shown that you can take these old classic sounds and update them for today's audience.

Unfortunately, for the most part Dr Dre doesnt do that. Like I said before, he sounds like an average, run of the mill east coast producer. What happened to the  layered and complex tracks he used to put down? Nowadays all his beats are stripped down, basic, and very boring.

In my opinion, Dre's 2001 album was mediocore at best, and definitely not the classic everyone makes it out to be. I think the only two great songs on it are the "The Next Episode" and "Xxplosive". A few other songs like "Fuck You" and "The Watcher" are pretty good, but the rest of the album  is garbage. The same goes for most of his other work with Eminem, Xzibit, Eve etc. Do you actually think people will be bumping the stuff he is doing now in ten years? No way. None of it is classic like the Chronic, Doggystyle, Straight Outta Compton etc. That stuff will be played 25 years from now. In contrast, I highly doubt Dre's newer stuff will be remembered 1 year from now.

no comments  ::)
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

NeoGeo

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2001, 02:53:01 PM »

I really have to agree with you, nothing dre releases makes me feel yeah this is a classic it all sounds plain, simple and to shit to be Dre, one minute he is saying it is gangsta music then another it's says it's millenium sounding music(what the f those that mean). :'(

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2001, 03:11:21 PM »
i never stopped loving Dres shit, sucks to be you i guess, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

.:N-Imy:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2001, 03:39:11 PM »
Yo peeps probably know by now that I fucking hate Dre but even in this case I have to stick up for him cause some of the comments CWalker187 made are mediocre.

1. Dre is a great producer. Nobody can touch his shit. The only person I think can come close and produce mad beats is Timberland. They both nearly on the same level but Dre is the more experienced and will always be on top. I think his latest album may be a hit, just depends on wo tsongs he bring out first before releasing his album.

2. Chronic was a classic album and I have to agree to an extent about the Chronic 2001 album. See I loved Dre befo' this album and was a great follower of his shit but then this album dropped and I was like  :o .What the hell has happened to Mr Gangster. The guy wa sjust oging on about fucking bitches, drinking and smoking weed and I wasn't realy feeling that album but it still made the sales and is close tobeing a classic but just a bit of a slip on a few tracks by Dre let it down.

3. As for the rest of the producing Dre has done on albums only a very small number of tunes sound the same but that's rap. It is amazing how a guy could be around for so long and still produce many different sounds. When you starting to doubt him and like, "Where he at?" he just pop up with a funky beat and you like, "Yeah, that's my man Dre".

4. As for Dre's newer stuff being remembered in a year. lol. Hell of course he gonna be remembered. This guy is gonna be remembered still in like 10 years time cause he still gonna be producing shit in ten years time. The guy may not be able to match the stuff of The Chronic but that was when Dre came out with new shit and changed the whole rap game. Now you got so many people that it is hard to compete in the rap business these days but Dre will be remembered.

Obviously you haven't taken the time to appreciate what Dre has done for rap and you just expect too much from the guy. Man I absolutely hate Dre very bad but I still respect wot he has accomplished and I still praise him in places when he does shit.
N-Imy - Incipient  {[link=http://forum.igangsta.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=fouroneone;action=display;num=1010196585]Click Here[/link] for details}

"I believe that everything you do bad comes back to you. So everything that I do that's bad I'm going to suffer for it. But in my heart, I believe what I'm doing is right. So I feel like I'm going to heaven" - Tupac {June 1996}

BadBoy4Life

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2001, 04:13:14 PM »
I don't agree with that at all. In my opinion Dre is the best in the game at what he does, I also think he can rap pretty well too. I thought Chronic 2001 was dope, a close match to the original that's considered a classic. If you had to ask me which was better Chronic or 2001 i'd seriously have to think about it, im not down with this whole  Chronics a classic therefore I HAVE TO think it's better then anything else Dre puts out. I don't even think Dres put out his best material yet. I respect Dre for what he's accomplished and his producing skills but the only area I think he fell off in is the respect area. After Suge Knight bascially stripped him of his manhood it's hard to hear Dre make a record and not laugh when he's talking about killing people with machine guns after smoking a blunt. It's considered almost common knowledge in the streets and in the industry that Dres a pussy and his gangsta image a hudge act. I know personally after hearing Suge Knight say the things he said and Dre not standing up for himself like any man would do I lost ALOT of respect for DRE. Vanilla Ice has been known to speak out more against Suge Knight then Dre has. In my opinion if a man shits in your face you atleast try and wipe it off , DRE didn't even try. His sidekick Eminem is the same way, he's a hudge fake act. This whole I don't give a fuck about the world image sells great, but it's not real, it's not Eminem. Eminem carries a fake gun, is to scared to fight ICP in a charity boxing match , disses teenage pop stars, this tells me Eminem does care about some things. The image he portrays for himself sells where as Eminem the pussy the actor doesn't. I think Eminem will definetly become the next Vanilla Ice. As he continues to diss pop stars and people who aren't physical threats to him some real nigah one day is going to step to Eminem and take him to task and be like yo nigah why don't you diss me. Then mr I dont give a fuck will be exploited and his image shot. The only other popular white rapper in the game was hung over a balcony and forced to sign over money, I wonder what will happen to wise ass, shit talking Eminem.

CWalker187

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2001, 04:19:46 PM »

Let Me Guess....  YOu post over at the Deathrow forum. ::)

Nah, I just started posting here though. I am a huge fan of Dr Dre's old work and it hurts me to see what he has become. He used to be so tight but now he is just an average producer.

CWalker187

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2001, 04:21:42 PM »

I really have to agree with you, nothing dre releases makes me feel yeah this is a classic it all sounds plain, simple and to shit to be Dre, one minute he is saying it is gangsta music then another it's says it's millenium sounding music(what the f those that mean). :'(

Thanks, alot of people feel like we do but dont want to admit. They try to force themselves to Like Dre's latest stuff. These same people talking about how great Dre's new stuff is probably havent had 2001 in their cd player for a year and a half.

techniec

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2001, 04:29:08 PM »
u know what? i always have loved dre's music and always will, his shit will always be dope, he hasnt fell off, falling off means your skill has diminished,  but one thing is  a fact about dre, he just aint a west coast producer anymore, he's dope no doubt, i still love his music, but seriously, id rather listen to some battlecat, who i think is the greatest west coast producer out there, compare "nah nah" to dre's work on xzibits album ,........

whatever everybody gots their own opinion

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2001, 04:33:59 PM »
from the moment that the watcher kicked in i was like goddamn that is sick, that's all i have to say, Dre is still the illest. but i do agree with his gangster shit has been ripped into bitty pieces because of Suge, Dre should of stood up but what can ya do, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

CWalker187

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2001, 04:39:39 PM »
There are a few reasons why I think Dre has fallen off so hard. First, I put alot of the blame on Mel Man. Mel Man is from Pittsburgh, and is probably into primarily east coast music. Because he works so closely with Dre, he is probably steering him away from his traditional west coast funk sound for the grimy east coast sound.

Second, Eminem's rise has had alot to do with Dre becoming wack. Dre isnt into making the type of music he used to make. Instead, he seems intent on making simpler, slower beats that help showcase the lyrical abilities of an emcee like Eminem. I think Dre is going to continue going into more of a hip hop direction as opposed to making what I would call gangsta shit that you can bump in your rides and can play at parties.

Third, Dre is spreading himself way too thin these days. Remember back when he was on Ruthless and Death Row, Dre would spend over a year working on just one project. Nowadays, he is way too busy working on many albums at the same time and it is affecting the quality of his music. For example, he is working on songs for Eminem and D-12, Xzibit, Snoop, Kokane, Rakim, Busta Rhymes, Hittman, Eve, Pharoah Monche and a ton of others in addition to beginning work on his next album. He needs to forget about all these outside rappers and focus on his own camp.

Ro J. Simpson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Riddim Killa!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2001, 05:03:53 PM »
yo, i agree with the fact that every1 is entitled to his own opinionbut yo, dre is still tha shiz....

first off, Dre invented g-funk practically, and i think its his decision wether he shud keep bangin out them sounds or not, now i think dre has changed his style to adopt the way of commercial main stream music, not jus to move on, but to move with the market..........

I mean for example....a few friends are sat, chilin, listenin to say hot 97, dre brings out a new track that is g funk thru and thru, i mean its kinda slow and like low tempo, its music for the TRU hip hop fans and music for the old skool genre, on the other hand, he releases a new up beat high tempo tight ass song, to make yo bounce around, clearly they go'n be diggin it, and bumpin it at every oppurtunity, its not that he's fallin off, he's just movin with the market and trynna make money, just like every other rapper out there, hey at the end of the day he;s gotta GET THAT MONEY, he hasnt forgot about it..................

But cmon u cant say that his new cuts like the production on devils nite, or for em, or for eve, or for that matter any1 else, those are all tight songs, you shud see him as a peer and not as some fallen off hip hop artist, give him props instead off criticism, rite now he is at the top of his game, jus watch, he hasnt forgot about the tru fans, he'll pay his dues, no offence....but y'all some bitches for thinkin this.....

peace
2i love you dont ever fucking question that, that's why we'll probably never get along, if i was better at finding the right words to say i wouldnt need to write these mothafuckin songs" / Atmosphere -'Dont ever fucking question that'

It's too much weight to be juggling
who do you picture when you think about struggling
Kids in the bed, no food stomach bubbilin
or Niggas in the E-class heavy drug smugglin / Xzibit - At the speed of life

Last Dragon

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2001, 05:06:51 PM »
I'm from Pittsburgh.  There isn't one main sound here that rules.  THere's Eastcoast, Westcoast, and the Southern sound popular here.  Mel-Man is from the Hill District.  It's filled with that same mix.  Believe me, Mel-Man didn't push Dre to Eastcoast.  Mel-Man was doing sounds geared more for Westcoast than Eastcoast.  They still sell his old mixtapes here.  Don't have any myself though.