Author Topic: Any of ya'll ready to retract your ridiculous "LeBron>Kobe" claims yet?  (Read 6605 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
You can argue whether or not Kobe is as good now as Jordan ever was. I'm not going to say a current Kobe on that Chicago team instead of Jordan wouldn't have won as much. But I'll never believe that Kobe would ever have been the star Jordan was in the mainstream media. You cannot create the level of star MJ was. No matter how good you are. How talented. How many rings. Michael Jordan was in a very select group of mega celebrity super sports stars that only a handful of people ever get to see. Babe Ruth. Ali, Tyson, Mickey Mantle, Jack Dempsey, Wayne Gretzky (but more so in Canada because Hockey is only so big in the US). These are figures who in their prime were national heroes. Plenty of people can be hailed as "the best" at what they do in sports. Their have been dozens over the decades, but only a very select few can reach the heights of marketing that Jordan reached. All the stars alligned for him and he was the perfect man for the situation.

Saying you could easily do it with Kobe is like saying Vince McMahon could have easily made another Hulk Hogan. MJ is Hulk Hogan. Kobe is the Ultimate Warrior.

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
kobe likes to rape women and touch scrotum

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

lol

With the exception of molesting Pao...thats actually a very smart move. Him grabbing Pao isnt a foul, and it leaves no possible way for the defender to fight through the screen.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.

LOLOL!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

You can argue whether or not Kobe is as good now as Jordan ever was. I'm not going to say a current Kobe on that Chicago team instead of Jordan wouldn't have won as much. But I'll never believe that Kobe would ever have been the star Jordan was in the mainstream media. You cannot create the level of star MJ was. No matter how good you are. How talented. How many rings. Michael Jordan was in a very select group of mega celebrity super sports stars that only a handful of people ever get to see. Babe Ruth. Ali, Tyson, Mickey Mantle, Jack Dempsey, Wayne Gretzky (but more so in Canada because Hockey is only so big in the US). These are figures who in their prime were national heroes. Plenty of people can be hailed as "the best" at what they do in sports. Their have been dozens over the decades, but only a very select few can reach the heights of marketing that Jordan reached. All the stars alligned for him and he was the perfect man for the situation.

Saying you could easily do it with Kobe is like saying Vince McMahon could have easily made another Hulk Hogan. MJ is Hulk Hogan. Kobe is the Ultimate Warrior.

but you can't really say that Kobe wouldn't have been as big as Jordan on the Bulls, because there's no way of knowing...you don't know how Kobe woulda been handled had he been placed in Jordan's shoes. Jordan came in the league at a perfect time, right when marketing took off. I could easily see Kobe being that same way had he been brought into the league under the same circumstances as Jordan...for you to act like that's out of the question is wrong. A huge part of it is a a matter of timing...PeACe

teecee

We should all quit dealing in "what-ifs", dont ya'll think?   

We will never know what Kobe woulda been like with the Bulls, and who the fuck cares?  Kobes career is completely different from Jordan's, as it is to Lebron's.

Kobe came in and had ZERO pressure on him in the first few years- no one even really cared about the air balls in the playoffs.  Kobe had a great team behind him, something that Jordan didn't.   

Once Shaq left, Kobe's seasons alone mirror Jordan's EARLY seasons, in that both had to force shots and carry their teams.  Kind of like Lebron has had to early in his career. 

Regardless, Kobe got three early titles, and I think he is about to get another one- this Lakers team is too damn good, and Kobe is having a truly GREAT playoffs so far.  Props to him.

But Kobe still has a lot of work to do to best Jordan---  it likely won't happen ever.  Forget about who is more popular, because we know for a variety of reasons Kobe can't win that one.  ON THE COURT, its gonna take a lot for Kobe to best Jordan-  it likely isn't possible but Kobe is an all-time great no doubt.

Am i ready to retract the Bron>Kobe claim?   

Well, I don't recall you ever retracting your claim when Lebron made it further then Kobe in '07, or when Kobe's team got beat in 6 (and in 39 in the DECIDING game) by a team that both the Cavs and Hawks took to 7.   

Why would I retract my "ridiculous" lebron over Kobe claim?   Are the Lakers better than the Cavs?  By far.  As i have said ALL YEAR, I didn't buy Williams as a true second option, and Ilgauskas isn't an all-star, but a 7'3 pylon on defense who can make the occasional jumper. 

Lakers>Cavs, and every other team in the league.  That should be Lakers fans primary concern, not whether he is better than Lebron or not.

After all, Kobe fans never felt he was worse than Nash when losing those series, or worse than anyone period despite the losses. 

SO why would this be any different?

Quit trying to re-write history NIK

PLANT

that was a great post good job  ;D ;)

PLANT

We will never know what Kobe woulda been like with the Bulls, and who the fuck cares?  Kobes career is completely different from Jordan's, as it is to Lebron's.

Kobe came in and had ZERO pressure on him in the first few years- no one even really cared about the air balls in the playoffs.  Kobe had a great team behind him, something that Jordan didn't.   

Once Shaq left, Kobe's seasons alone mirror Jordan's EARLY seasons, in that both had to force shots and carry their teams.  Kind of like Lebron has had to early in his career. 

Regardless, Kobe got three early titles, and I think he is about to get another one- this Lakers team is too damn good, and Kobe is having a truly GREAT playoffs so far.  Props to him.

But Kobe still has a lot of work to do to best Jordan---  it likely won't happen ever.  Forget about who is more popular, because we know for a variety of reasons Kobe can't win that one.  ON THE COURT, its gonna take a lot for Kobe to best Jordan-  it likely isn't possible but Kobe is an all-time great no doubt.

Well, I don't recall you ever retracting your claim when Lebron made it further then Kobe in '07, or when Kobe's team got beat in 6 (and in 39 in the DECIDING game) by a team that both the Cavs and Hawks took to 7.   

Why would I retract my "ridiculous" lebron over Kobe claim?   Are the Lakers better than the Cavs?  By far.  As i have said ALL YEAR, I didn't buy Williams as a true second option, and Ilgauskas isn't an all-star, but a 7'3 pylon on defense who can make the occasional jumper. 

Lakers>Cavs, and every other team in the league.  That should be Lakers fans primary concern, not whether he is better than Lebron or not.

After all, Kobe fans never felt he was worse than Nash when losing those series, or worse than anyone period despite the losses. 

another good job of summing things up....well said

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Right...there wasn't as much hype surrounding Kobe when he entered the league, which means he had to make a name for himself out of nothing. a much harder task to accomplish. using that as a knock on Kobe is ridiculous. the fact of the matter is, using these "what if" scenarios may seem stupid, but they help to paint a better picture of how Kobe would be perceived in the public eye had he been given the same benefits entering the league as Jordan (a team to himself, marketing up the ass focused mainly on him, over-the-top respect from nba officials, etc.)...you forget, Kobe was being booked as the next best thing way before Shaq left. The comparisons to Jordan started when Shaq was still around and they've lasted a decade...what does that tell you? Other players have been compared to Jordan, but people weren't comparing them for THIS long. LeBron needs to win at least one title before he can even enter these discussions. I don't know why this is so hard to understand? I don't get why people don't see that it was Kobe mentoring LeBron in the olympics last year, and not the other way around...the overpraise of LeBron/underpraise of Kobe that was going on around the league when the Cavs were beasting was just ridiculous. Notice how the talks died down? Notice how they started calling Kobe "the best player on the planet" with no hesitation once LeBron was eliminated? The media is a bitch, and they got your minds fucked...just watch both players playing and it is clear who is the experienced legend and who is still learning to find his...PeACe

teecee

Right...there wasn't as much hype surrounding Kobe when he entered the league, which means he had to make a name for himself out of nothing. a much harder task to accomplish. using that as a knock on Kobe is ridiculous. the fact of the matter is, using these "what if" scenarios may seem stupid, but they help to paint a better picture of how Kobe would be perceived in the public eye had he been given the same benefits entering the league as Jordan (a team to himself, marketing up the ass focused mainly on him, over-the-top respect from nba officials, etc.)...you forget, Kobe was being booked as the next best thing way before Shaq left. The comparisons to Jordan started when Shaq was still around and they've lasted a decade...what does that tell you? Other players have been compared to Jordan, but people weren't comparing them for THIS long. LeBron needs to win at least one title before he can even enter these discussions. I don't know why this is so hard to understand? I don't get why people don't see that it was Kobe mentoring LeBron in the olympics last year, and not the other way around...the overpraise of LeBron/underpraise of Kobe that was going on around the league when the Cavs were beasting was just ridiculous. Notice how the talks died down? Notice how they started calling Kobe "the best player on the planet" with no hesitation once LeBron was eliminated? The media is a bitch, and they got your minds fucked...just watch both players playing and it is clear who is the experienced legend and who is still learning to find his...PeACe

Personally, I don't fuck with the media alot, but I feel I am intelligent enough to be my own judge:  I appreciate Lebron's all around game and think what he has done at this stage in his career is truly remarkable.  He plays in a horrible offense, has second rate teammates, etc.

Of course the talk is gonna die down once Lebron is out; we are left with the two best teams in the league, so to focus on LEbron would be stupid..  Furthermore, you know the media loves a good story, and Lebron walking out with out hte handshake has really hurt his status with the...MEDIA.  Hence, less positive Lebron talk.   Fairly simple, I am sure you get it. 

Kobe is about to get a title likely, but you have been calling him a legend and an all-time great for years, yet he has never lead his team to shit.  In fact, he played quite badly last year in the finals.   Even Kobe knows he needs this title plus a few more to even be mentioned with Jordan, so why don't you? 

And the fact that Kobe has been compared to Jordan for so long says something, doesn't it?!  Kobe will always be compared to Jordan, because MJ is the bar, and all the rest are just trying to reach it. 

NIK, your elitist attitude is sad.  The media has everyone's mind "fucked up" but yours, right? 

You have been proven wrong so many times, your predictions have been wrong on so many occasions (just like others),yet only you have never once said "I was wrong"...instead, you rationalize your mistakes in your own mind, and because it seems to mistake sense within your own head, you then "feel" or "think" everyone else must agree, otherwise they are "idiots", "gay", etc etc. 

Only "MoSav" really co-signs you, and its pretty obvious he is your alias. 

Kool Beenz

my bad for that wack post last night i was drunk

i deleted it

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before

but you can't really say that Kobe wouldn't have been as big as Jordan on the Bulls, because there's no way of knowing...you don't know how Kobe woulda been handled had he been placed in Jordan's shoes. Jordan came in the league at a perfect time, right when marketing took off. I could easily see Kobe being that same way had he been brought into the league under the same circumstances as Jordan...for you to act like that's out of the question is wrong. A huge part of it is a a matter of timing...PeACe

If Jordan never came into the league then and came into it now he may or may not have been as big as he was in the 90s but he would be hands down bigger than anyone else in the NBA. There was so much more to market with that guy. He had a natural charisma that LeBron and Kobe don't have. Someone said about Hulk Hogan; Hogan never would have been as big as he was in the 90s instead of the 80s acting the way he acted but you could pluck Hulk Hogan out of 1985 and put him on 2009 TV and he'd be the biggest star in the company hands down.

Timing is a small factor in the rise of megastars. Take Elvis Presly from 1956, give him a slight make over and have him sing current pop songs and he may not change the world of music in 2009 but he'd make Justin Timberlake and the Jonas Brothers look like clowns.

Kobe simply does not have the it factor that Jordan had. I know you like the guy and all but I'm sorry he doesn't. No Laker ever did. No other NBA player ever did. When you thought basketball you thought MJ. And more so you would think MJ before you even thought basketball. No ther player in the history of the sport would you answer the question "Who is Michael Jordan?" with "He's Michael Jordan". Every other huge star in basket you'd say "he's a basketball player".

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Only "MoSav" really co-signs you, and its pretty obvious he is your alias. 

LMAO...your closing sentence summed up your whole flawed way of thinkin.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

If Jordan never came into the league then and came into it now he may or may not have been as big as he was in the 90s but he would be hands down bigger than anyone else in the NBA. There was so much more to market with that guy. He had a natural charisma that LeBron and Kobe don't have. Someone said about Hulk Hogan; Hogan never would have been as big as he was in the 90s instead of the 80s acting the way he acted but you could pluck Hulk Hogan out of 1985 and put him on 2009 TV and he'd be the biggest star in the company hands down.

Timing is a small factor in the rise of megastars. Take Elvis Presly from 1956, give him a slight make over and have him sing current pop songs and he may not change the world of music in 2009 but he'd make Justin Timberlake and the Jonas Brothers look like clowns.

Kobe simply does not have the it factor that Jordan had. I know you like the guy and all but I'm sorry he doesn't. No Laker ever did. No other NBA player ever did. When you thought basketball you thought MJ. And more so you would think MJ before you even thought basketball. No ther player in the history of the sport would you answer the question "Who is Michael Jordan?" with "He's Michael Jordan". Every other huge star in basket you'd say "he's a basketball player".

Its true, there are a ton of reason why Jordan is the icon he is.  Youre right, during the height of his popularity...he became larger then the sport. There is his charisma, his likeability, etc. But there is also this, for the first time you had a star in Basketball that was hands down, without a doubt (there was NO debate about this) the best player in the league.  There was no question. As a matter of fact, before his career was over there was no question that he was the best ever. It was NEVER in doubt.  You didnt have that before him, and you havent had it since. And we're talking about an era that saw the end of Magic and Birds careers, Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Drexler, Pippen, Stockton, Wilkins, etc. All greats, all HOF's or future HOF's.  And he was still, THE best. And no one argued it.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I truly think you underestimate how much the media controls peoples view of an individual... you wanna attribute Jordan's status to his charismatic personality, but I see it more as him getting the extra push that gives him that untouchable perception to the general public. It could also be a combination of both, but the fact of the matter is, there's no way to really know 100%...Either way, I'm more concerned with the way a player plays as opposed to the way that player is viewed as an individual, and all I know is that Kobe, on the court, is capable of doing everything Jordan did and maybe even more...PeACe