Author Topic: So I tried watching the world cup today  (Read 1255 times)

Jaydc

Re: So I tried watching the world cup today
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
It's a bit unfair to call it a simple sport, especially in this era of tactics and game changing players that have come around the last decade.  You can really only tell during corner kicks of diagonal free kicks, but on a deeper level it takes being a fairly big fan to know what's up. NFL is full of strategy, because it's a series of set plays.  Imagine football where it's a series of corner kicks lol.

but it is a simple sport.If someone first sits down and watches itm and doesnt know whats happening thats pretty much all you have to say for someone to watch it.theirs a few rules here and there youd have to say but thats pretty much it.they dont need to know any stragedy involved.They dont need to know every single scheme presented.Saying you just dont get it whens its a simple sport is just hilariously ignorant.Its like someone watching basketball,the object is to get the ball through the hoop.Thats the jist of it.They dont need to know how every single play works for someone to watch it.Saying you need to know how offensive plays work to enjoy basketball is just retarded.or saying you need to understand exactly how a nfl playbook works in order to enjoy watching it.its just plain dumb.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »
^yeah, really.

you're rooting for a team & the team's success; not how they get it done, just if they get it done.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
It's a bit unfair to call it a simple sport, especially in this era of tactics and game changing players that have come around the last decade.  You can really only tell during corner kicks of diagonal free kicks, but on a deeper level it takes being a fairly big fan to know what's up. NFL is full of strategy, because it's a series of set plays.  Imagine football where it's a series of corner kicks lol.

but it is a simple sport.If someone first sits down and watches itm and doesnt know whats happening thats pretty much all you have to say for someone to watch it.theirs a few rules here and there youd have to say but thats pretty much it.they dont need to know any stragedy involved.They dont need to know every single scheme presented.Saying you just dont get it whens its a simple sport is just hilariously ignorant.Its like someone watching basketball,the object is to get the ball through the hoop.Thats the jist of it.They dont need to know how every single play works for someone to watch it.Saying you need to know how offensive plays work to enjoy basketball is just retarded.or saying you need to understand exactly how a nfl playbook works in order to enjoy watching it.its just plain dumb.

I've never said that you need to know the plays or strategies to understand and like the sport. If you break down the object in every sport, it's all simple isn't it? I guess you're just talking about the objectives and I was referring more to strategy/formation/tactics/etc used. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
^yeah, really.

you're rooting for a team & the team's success; not how they get it done, just if they get it done.

Not all the time.  In the World Cup, I'm only really rooting for Mexico, U.S., and Spain (I got them in a draw, so money reasons here lol). And I'm pretty sure we've all watched sports games where we're just watching to enjoy the game? 

Jaydc

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »

I've never said that you need to know the plays or strategies to understand and like the sport. If you break down the object in every sport, it's all simple isn't it? I guess you're just talking about the objectives and I was referring more to strategy/formation/tactics/etc used. 

My comment was towards iran iz gangsta even I thought you were backing up what he was saying.I gave him the objective of the sport and he lauhged it off saying thats not the point of soccer LOL.Your the more level headed fan.Iran is just an idiot,one post hes saying he knows eveyrthing about the other sports then the next post hes clearly showing he knows nothing about the nfl.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »
^yeah, really.

Not all the time.  In the World Cup, I'm only really rooting for Mexico, U.S., and Spain (I got them in a draw, so money reasons here lol). And I'm pretty sure we've all watched sports games where we're just watching to enjoy the game? 

Yeah, but even though you personally don't care sometimes, something inside of everybody forces you to want one team to win.

Like I could turn on a Dodgers/Giants game to watch a Kershaw/Lincecum match-up & I could care less who wins honestly, I just want to see some great pitching; but something indescribable inside would make me want to see the Giants win the game or vice-versa; just an example.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
Anybody seen the screw job highlight that happened to the usa?  I don't give 2 shits about soccer but that's just another reason 2 hate it & boycott it.  3 usa players being held on their 3rd goal but a penalty was callled on the usa instead of the other team :o >:(  I'm not sure if holding is legal in soccer.  And 1 of the main reasons to boycott soccer will be shown on tuesday 30 for 30.  The 2 escobars, tragedy for 1 of them :( 
   It had 2 do with usa's win in 1994 where colombia players were under severe pressure to win, as in win or else someone might get murdered.  Sadly Andres Escobar accidentally kicked the ball into his own team's net & the usa won.  Days later in colombia a group of people went up to him & chanted,'THANKS FOR THE AUTO GOAL!' & shot him dead, chanting 'GOAL' every time they shot him.  I take football very seriously but not to this extreme.  Drug dealers bet on the game, 1 fool bet up to 10 million on the game.  I look at it in 2 ways here.
1.  If you bet $10million on a soccer game you deserve to lose.
2.  If I bet $10million on a game & somebody bothces it up & I lose, ida filled the player full of lead too.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
Alot of draws at this WC. Some good games though, hoping for better at knockout stage. Englands disappointing.

westsiderider323

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
i like soccer i could watch like 3 games straight and wont feel bothered at all if all 3 games no one scores or if they all end in ties like 1-1, 2-2, etc. idk maybe cuz im latino and its in my DNA to like it idk soccer aint boring tho

'EclipZe

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »
Denmark vs Cameroon was the first decent game of this WC.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »

Nah, they were some other decent games. Danemark- Cameroon had some highlights, but it was mostly because of horrible errors.
But there haven't been any really breathtaking games so far, but you can expect such games in the knockout games anyway.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
Heres what I will give the World Cup. The National Pride that comes along with the event is cool. Plus the fact that you get the feeling there are a lot of different teams that could ACTUALLY win it. Basketball in the Olympics is kind of the same, but you dont really feel that there are that many teams that can win (really just the U.S.). Not to mention...the Olympics are pretty fuckin gay. The Winter Olympics are more gay...but yeah.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2010, 11:03:44 AM »
Heres what I will give the World Cup. The National Pride that comes along with the event is cool. Plus the fact that you get the feeling there are a lot of different teams that could ACTUALLY win it. Basketball in the Olympics is kind of the same, but you dont really feel that there are that many teams that can win (really just the U.S.). Not to mention...the Olympics are pretty fuckin gay. The Winter Olympics are more gay...but yeah.

Yeah that's the best thing about the world cup. There participate many weak teams, and many argue that the Eupean cup with 16 teams offers more quality (which is true in some way), but I like it that there are 32 teams from all over the world and I can enjoy the exotic teams as well.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »

Yeah that's the best thing about the world cup. There participate many weak teams, and many argue that the Eupean cup with 16 teams offers more quality (which is true in some way), but I like it that there are 32 teams from all over the world and I can enjoy the exotic teams as well.

Ive heard that some of those soccer leagues the play is more exciting than the World Cup play. It makes sense though. The World Cup is such a big event, Im sure teams and players are a little more conservative with their play...and play NOT to lose at times.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »

I disagree, that was just some sloppy ass defense.  Cameroon just gave away their left side during the match and Denmark just kept on giving away the ball.  I prefer a tight 0-0 match than this.