Author Topic: Producers that can compare to Dre when it comes to having a knack for SOUND?  (Read 1233 times)

I_ThePope_I

Not the best beatmakers per se, but the best sound producers. DJ Quik is up there of course, he's a sound nerd. Who else? I've been leaning more towards the audio side of music lately.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
the fuck are you talking about?

i think you mean rappers that know how to mix there own beats

Matty

in sonic terms i put quik ahead of dre, quik is easily the top dogg in this department. i also like timbaland, danja, neptunes if we're talking about things from a mixing/sound quality perspective as opposed to purely musical. jonathan rotem has some really nice shit too, khalil somewhat and also focus. scott storch on a good day, hi-tek. for me, use of low-end in particular is really what separates some of these guys from the rest. there are others but i don't really like their music so much to get into it.

socal

• 'G'
detox has been on the bench for about 5 years, and you always here dre took credit from other artist like Daz.. what the hell is a dre beat??
All you Suckas want to Diss the PACiFiC but you Buster Niggaz never get Specific!!

socal

• 'G'
After Pac hit up Dre Dre's career was basically on life support.  After Pac Died Dre came back with Eminem and the rest is history.  Dre would of never came back and had the respect if Pac hadn't died.  I remember in an interview Pac said Dre didnt even attend Snoops murder Trial because he was too busy and that if he had Snoops case would of been a lot easier because the accuser had said Dre was in the car. 
All you Suckas want to Diss the PACiFiC but you Buster Niggaz never get Specific!!

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
detox has been on the bench for about 5 years, and you always here dre took credit from other artist like Daz.. what the hell is a dre beat??

no such as a Dre beat/production. Its all about who has the bigger name, the most money and power which Dre has. He cann afford to hire ghost producers and then blackball them afterwards if they get out of line.

But back to the subject at hand:

Quik,Timbo,Neptunes, Scott Storch>>>> Dre

And to all Dre dickriders I dont want to hear that bullshit excuse of "Dre produces the records and others make the beats" because all the other producers I just named do thier own "beats" and "produce" thier own records too. Why is it that Dre is the only super producer to get away with barely doing shit on his own records?

socal

• 'G'
Dre has a name the rest of them are irrelevant in the game, or dont kiss ass
Dre is talented im not saying he isn't but fuck him he aint bigger then the West Coast and unfortunately it seems like he aint shit going without his approval..

Matty

no such as a Dre beat/production. Its all about who has the bigger name, the most money and power which Dre has. He cann afford to hire ghost producers and then blackball them afterwards if they get out of line.

And to all Dre dickriders I dont want to hear that bullshit excuse of "Dre produces the records and others make the beats" because all the other producers I just named do thier own "beats" and "produce" thier own records too. Why is it that Dre is the only super producer to get away with barely doing shit on his own records?

no way Storch > Dre for sound quality, the beats speak for themselves. Storch just can't make drums knock as hard and it's obvious his dopest tracks borrow a lot sonically from the way Dre's records are mixed, especially the 2001 era stuff. A lot may be due to 'Veto' or various co-producers, but as this is about producers, it's Dre's name and the consistent audio quality of the beats it's attached to that matters.

bouli77

Timbaland
Quik
Big Hutch
Khayree
K-Lou
Mike Dean

not saying they're better than Dre or anything but they've all been praised for their technical abilities

Okka

I've heard the same shit about Timbaland and Pharrell too. Both of them take credit for other peoples work.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Muggs
E-A-Ski
DJ-U-Neek

decided to go a lil old school

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
scarface that nigga can play mad instruments and has studied music theory extensively

Cross Em Out

• 'G'

I've heard the same shit about Timbaland and Pharrell too. Both of them take credit for other peoples work.

I have yet to hear/see any producer come out and expose timbo and pharrel tho. everybody from erotic d to daz to glove to neff u have said the same thing about Dre. Cant all be lies and speculation

Okka

I have yet to hear/see any producer come out and expose timbo and pharrel tho. everybody from erotic d to daz to glove to neff u have said the same thing about Dre. Cant all be lies and speculation

Hugo has been described by The Source Magazine as the "Mr Spock" to Williams' "Captain Kirk", an analogy that does not sit well with Hugo, as he does not see himself as "stiff" like "Mr Spock". However, he does say Williams usually provides the beat (as the drummer of the duo) and most of the melodies to the Neptunes productions, whereas his role lies more in as a 'one man band' and sequencer.

Yeah, you're right but still there's been a lot of "rumors" around. I wasn't defendin' Dr. Dre though, he gets way too much credit for shit he didnt create.

jeanmiche777

Quik and Dre of course are on top. There's some I like that don't get enough love imo. Madlib (not everything but some of his earlier stuff), E-Swift and A Trbie Called Quest in the sampled beats category.

I like Mannie Fresh, DJ Toomp and JUSTICE League for the south vibe.

I don't get Scott Storch tho. To me he is more of a musicians than a technical mixer/sound engineer