Author Topic: why do americans hate on foot-ball ?  (Read 988 times)

Bomb-A®

Re: why do americans hate on foot-ball ?
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2005, 12:29:36 AM »
i dont even understand why they call american football that....they run around with the ball in their hands most of the time
i love foorball (soccer)

american football to me is a pussyfied version of rugby

peace

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2005, 01:46:25 AM »

Rugby is a really rough sport but there are no 300+ pound rugby players that could easily paralyze someone if they hit them at full force. Back in the 60s, there were hardly any pads worn at all in the NFL. As the players got bigger, so did the pads. Rugby is like 60s NFL with alot more action.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2005, 03:41:38 AM »

lol stupid comment. If the toughest rugby player you can find ran a short crossing route across the middle of the field with no pads and got lit up from tha blindside by some 250 pound solid linebacker with a full run at him...he'd be eatin his dinner through a straw for the rest of his life, easily. Rugby is probably big where its played....but how much to those players earn a year? It might be a lot...i dont know. But if it isnt the same earnings as you make in the NFL....and the rugby players were as tough and "skilled" (yeah right lol) as you think...theyd try out for the NFL. We've had a rugby player in the league before....but he was only a punter and played a position where he never got touched. Good for him...

mauzip

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2005, 05:41:38 AM »
For me, its because of those shorts. When I was like 8 and I played soccer they shorts were practically short shorts. That pretty much did it for me. :)

seriously...
From the outside looking in it's just because all they're doing is kicking a ball. I know there's a lot of strategy and skill involved in it, but from someone who hasn't grown up watching it, it just looks like some guys kicking a ball. And  I don't really think it's gay... I watched the world cup. I even travelled from San Diego, CA to Minnieapolis, MN just to watch some soccer games (and chill with the family).
So basically is just what your exposed to. US=football Canada=hockey rest of the world=soccer.

and global=basketball.

FYO: Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2005, 10:09:09 AM »
For me, its because of those shorts. When I was like 8 and I played soccer they shorts were practically short shorts. That pretty much did it for me. :)

seriously...
From the outside looking in it's just because all they're doing is kicking a ball. I know there's a lot of strategy and skill involved in it, but from someone who hasn't grown up watching it, it just looks like some guys kicking a ball. And  I don't really think it's gay... I watched the world cup. I even travelled from San Diego, CA to Minnieapolis, MN just to watch some soccer games (and chill with the family).
So basically is just what your exposed to. US=football Canada=hockey rest of the world=soccer.

and global=basketball.

i think he's saying that basketball is the only sport that seems to be popular around the world, AND in America.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2005, 02:35:39 PM »
ultra slow pace(though baseball is about the same)
lack of scoring
little if any use of upper body...most popular american sports utilize hands/upper body involvement
too much tapping the ball back and forth...and little ball advancement(vertically) much of the time
americans demand more out of our entertainment
rarely any drama or excitement

i understand sometimes it can be a sort of chess match sometimes...but no one can say soccer is actiuon packed...i've really tried to give soccer a chance and whatch games(some world cup games and some of those euro league games...but god...watching paint dry might be more interesting

koala_gangsta

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2005, 10:31:30 AM »
americans will never enjoy a sport where there are commonly only 1 - 2 goals per game.  americans like action, and there just isn't enough scoring to make soccer appealing to americans....

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2005, 10:58:04 AM »

seriously...

and global=basketball.

i think he's saying that basketball is the only sport that seems to be popular around the world, AND in America.

Yes...At least some people (though it may be very few) can comprehend shit on this board.

Mygla

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2005, 11:01:05 AM »
what the fuck... American Football is nothing but time-outs... how often are the ball in play for more than a minute without interruption?

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2005, 11:12:58 AM »
what the fuck... American Football is nothing but time-outs... how often are the ball in play for more than a minute without interruption?

Actually a lot of the time. If you'd watch NFL, College, or CFL football you'd know that

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2005, 11:17:24 AM »

Time outs aren't used until usually the last 2 minutes of the 1st or 2nd half. The TV time outs can be excessive sometimes, but those only last a minute and a half or less. Other than that, unless a penalty is called, the game keeps moving.

And 90 minutes of kicking the ball around midfield the majority of the time isn't "action". The fact that soccer is considered a sport is the only thing seperating it from C-Span (a government channel where state reps address the house on television. It's boring as hell.).

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2005, 06:41:36 PM »

Time outs aren't used until usually the last 2 minutes of the 1st or 2nd half. The TV time outs can be excessive sometimes, but those only last a minute and a half or less. Other than that, unless a penalty is called, the game keeps moving.

And 90 minutes of kicking the ball around midfield the majority of the time isn't "action". The fact that soccer is considered a sport is the only thing seperating it from C-Span (a government channel where state reps address the house on television. It's boring as hell.).

HELL NO! American football dont flow 4 more than a minute coz it stops after evry damn play!..then they gorra all line up again n usually the same shit happens again..only time nfl gets excitin in ma opinion is when an interception takes place...football is moslty non stop...only time it stops is for fouls n substitutions.

The Maestro

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2005, 10:15:28 PM »

HELL NO! American football dont flow 4 more than a minute coz it stops after evry damn play!..then they gorra all line up again n usually the same shit happens again..only time nfl gets excitin in ma opinion is when an interception takes place...football is moslty non stop...only time it stops is for fouls n substitutions.

The clock only stops on time out, player going out of bonds or incomplete pass. So how does it stop every damn play? The Pittsburgh Steelers basically run the ball all the time, so the clock hardly gets stopped. But the Philadelphia Eagles pass the ball all the time so the clock is bound to stop. The total time of an average NFL game has decreased over the years.

You're telling me that you find passing the ball back & foruth exciting?

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2005, 12:03:28 AM »

seriously...

and global=basketball.

nope the most popular sport in the world is fishing!!  :-\

but like this whole thread is about, everyone to their own sport.. its only really america and canada that aint fond of football, and thats because they havent really been brought up with it + its the same for them because who outside the states and canada really care for baseball, NFL and NHL.. i sure as hell dont too me them games are boring as fuck.. the play dont flow, its just constant start and stop action!

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2005, 04:37:49 AM »

seriously...

and global=basketball.

nope the most popular sport in the world is fishing!!  :-\

No thats not true, soccer is the biggest sport in the world.