Author Topic: Chris The Glove Taylor Interview (Ruthless, Death Row, Aftermath Producer)  (Read 1077 times)

Will_B

Re: Chris The Glove Taylor Interview (Ruthless, Death Row, Aftermath Producer)
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »
In regards to Hello and the other song, anything is possible. Credits have been stolen before, then again it seems a lot of dudes at Aftermath take credit for shit they didn't do.

Yeah, true that. A lot of people are sayin' they produced songs that were produced by Dr. Dre & Mel-Man ("Hello" for example, the booklet of "War & Peace" II says that Chris "The Glove" Taylor played the keys on the song with Tommy Costner Jr.) Also Neff-U and them dudes said they produced some songs that were produced by Eminem (according to the booklet credits)

In other music genres people who play keys get credited as playing keys, but in hip hop people that play keyboards want to take credit as producer.

Soopafly played "Keys" for Daz, how do Daz's productions sound without Soopafly? It's kind of like a way to get away without giving proper credit.

My understanding is that the producer is the one who dictates and oversees the sound of the song.  The keyboard player is someone that plays keyboards under the direction of the producer.

Correct, but a lot of these dudes who are credited as producers aren't the producers just by themselves. Like a lot of credit gets misplaced, like when D.O.C. told Snoop how to rap the songs on The Chronic - that's production. That's like telling a singer how to sing, and that's production, but D.O.C. was credited as a writer on that or just not credited at all or you'll have a beat/production that's basically already done then someone like Dre will add a few elements and make it his beat. Diddy's guilty of stuff like that, so I wouldn't doubt Dre is too.

Not strictly true. A lot of Singers will have a voice coach running through how to hit all the notes on a song. A music producer doesn't necessarily sing or rap. In fact they can't possibly do everything unless they're on some Prince or Stevie Wonder level. Just like actors have a dialogue coach for accents etc. which in-turn doesn't mean the dialogue coach Directed the scene.

Like another poster said, even the best artists will be surrounded by 5 or 6 guys. Even more so when we're talking Dr. Dre label $$$ at stake.

If you look at all of Dre's stuff leading upto the 2001 album, he was happy to give others writing/production/co-production/musician credits. Look how often Richard Vick turns up as a writer for Dre from 96 - pre-2001. On the album however Dre/The label didn't want Dre to look like he wasn't his own man. People got paid off for their work, Dre got mostly sole credit. Only the big guns like Storch were getting musician credits and as far as the world was concerned Dre wrote his own raps.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:20 AM »
bullshit, Dre even openly admitted that he wasn't a lyricist.

dope and insightful interview. didn't know he had a hand in those tracks he said he produced but i believe him. it's not the first time we've heard this about dre.
that's what happens when you're a big name

In regards to Hello and the other song, anything is possible. Credits have been stolen before, then again it seems a lot of dudes at Aftermath take credit for shit they didn't do.
but why do these former collaborators keep talking, but don't file a lawsuit?
it makes them look like jealous ex girlfriends

Not sure to be honest, I'd say because they were stupid and signed some paperwork forfeiting their right to do so due to compensation.
as far as Chris is concerned, i don't believe it.
maybe for death row, but for aftermath?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:07:22 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

bouli77

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 03:19:30 AM »
dope and insightful interview. didn't know he had a hand in those tracks he said he produced but i believe him. it's not the first time we've heard this about dre.

i don't smell bitterness in The Glove's interview. Nor does he say "Dre stole my credits". He tells us what he believes he did, which is producing a bunch of tracks for Dre. Now he must have a different understanding of the word "producing" but ultimately it informs us that The Glove was involved in Doggystyle, like he was in The Chronic. It adds another co-producer/collaborator to the table, so it's a newsworthy piece of information to me.

Anyway good interview, but I like The Glove for his stuff with Po Broke N Lonely, not his possible co-productions for Dre. Too bad he didn't shed more light on the PBN era. No Money No Honeys and Forbidden Vibe are classics in my book. The former is a New Jack swing type of R&B while the latter boasts G-Funk sounds with fine ass Battlecat productions.

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 04:00:37 AM »

Yeah, true that. A lot of people are sayin' they produced songs that were produced by Dr. Dre & Mel-Man ("Hello" for example, the booklet of "War & Peace" II says that Chris "The Glove" Taylor played the keys on the song with Tommy Costner Jr.) Also Neff-U and them dudes said they produced some songs that were produced by Eminem (according to the booklet credits)

In other music genres people who play keys get credited as playing keys, but in hip hop people that play keyboards want to take credit as producer.

Soopafly played "Keys" for Daz, how do Daz's productions sound without Soopafly? It's kind of like a way to get away without giving proper credit.

My understanding is that the producer is the one who dictates and oversees the sound of the song.  The keyboard player is someone that plays keyboards under the direction of the producer.

Correct, but a lot of these dudes who are credited as producers aren't the producers just by themselves. Like a lot of credit gets misplaced, like when D.O.C. told Snoop how to rap the songs on The Chronic - that's production. That's like telling a singer how to sing, and that's production, but D.O.C. was credited as a writer on that or just not credited at all or you'll have a beat/production that's basically already done then someone like Dre will add a few elements and make it his beat. Diddy's guilty of stuff like that, so I wouldn't doubt Dre is too.

Not strictly true. A lot of Singers will have a voice coach running through how to hit all the notes on a song. A music producer doesn't necessarily sing or rap. In fact they can't possibly do everything unless they're on some Prince or Stevie Wonder level. Just like actors have a dialogue coach for accents etc. which in-turn doesn't mean the dialogue coach Directed the scene.

Like another poster said, even the best artists will be surrounded by 5 or 6 guys. Even more so when we're talking Dr. Dre label $$$ at stake.

If you look at all of Dre's stuff leading upto the 2001 album, he was happy to give others writing/production/co-production/musician credits. Look how often Richard Vick turns up as a writer for Dre from 96 - pre-2001. On the album however Dre/The label didn't want Dre to look like he wasn't his own man. People got paid off for their work, Dre got mostly sole credit. Only the big guns like Storch were getting musician credits and as far as the world was concerned Dre wrote his own raps.

Dre never claimed to write his own raps and never pretended to be a rapper.  If you look at the credits for all his albums you will see writing creditis givin to others

Will_B

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:25 AM »

Dre never claimed to write his own raps and never pretended to be a rapper.  If you look at the credits for all his albums you will see writing creditis givin to others

Yeah I know playboy. 8)

I'm just saying on 2001 there were fewer credits and more writers, compared those earlier releases (when Dre was quite transparent about who did what). But I ain't trippin. Dre's sure not the first artist to do this, and those people all got their fee. It's only because the 2001 album is so LOVED that people still talk about it. This collaborative process happens on just about every major artists release year in year out. Just no one actually cares about what goes on behind the scenes for 99% of those other artists & their albums.

unclsean

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 08:35:11 AM »
good read, and a decent 8) interview.
http://www.reallionnaire.blogspot.com

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:23 AM »

i don't smell bitterness in The Glove's interview. Nor does he say "Dre stole my credits". He tells us what he believes he did, which is producing a bunch of tracks for Dre. Now he must have a different understanding of the word "producing" but ultimately it informs us that The Glove was involved in Doggystyle, like he was in The Chronic. It adds another co-producer/collaborator to the table, so it's a newsworthy piece of information to me.

Anyway good interview, but I like The Glove for his stuff with Po Broke N Lonely, not his possible co-productions for Dre. Too bad he didn't shed more light on the PBN era. No Money No Honeys and Forbidden Vibe are classics in my book. The former is a New Jack swing type of R&B while the latter boasts G-Funk sounds with fine ass Battlecat productions.
you're right he didn't point a direct finger, but he did say that he felt that he wasn't getting (enough) credit.

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
And he's probably telling the truth

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
And he's probably telling the truth
so you believe that he produced Hello, in stead of Dr.Dre & Mel-Man?

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
I don't really care, I wasn't there, none of us were. Our words hold no weight and are pure speculation, the only people that know are dre , Mel man and glove. And even if you asked them they could be lying so what's the point of speaking onit

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
I don't really care, I wasn't there, none of us were. Our words hold no weight and are pure speculation, the only people that know are dre , Mel man and glove. And even if you asked them they could be lying so what's the point of speaking onit

The whole point of a forum is to discuss things, even if we don't no what the fuck we are talking about. 

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

The whole point of a forum is to discuss things, even if we don't no what the fuck we are talking about. 

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
I don't know what he allegedly produced but I do know the stuff he did with Chico and Coolwadda is classic to me

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

MarshColin

you're right he didn't point a direct finger, but he did say that he felt that he wasn't getting (enough) credit.

Ya you're right he was probably going by a different definition of producer than what it really is. I think he was just saying he did some things and wasn't credited for them, but it didn't come off as bitter at all. This guy has a solid track record so I'm gonna believe that he did at least something on those songs he mentioned. Great interview though. Besides having like 50 unreleased PBNL songs I wonder what else he might have stashed away. If he was keeping shit from before his time producing for Death Row and Aftermath, I can only imagine what else he has.

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
So that makes it

Neff-U
Erotic D
Chris The Glove
Daz

Who have all come out and said the same thing about Dre (and im probably forgetting some other producers too). I dont see why Dre should be regarded as a "legendary" producer, when he has been fucking other producers over his entire career. You cant say it because Dre's a "big name", becuase other "big name" producer havent had as much ghost production accusations as Dre has. You never hear anybody sayong that Premier or the Neptunes stole credit from them