Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #7...  (Read 581 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #7...
« on: August 07, 2005, 07:17:42 PM »
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988) 

South African apartheid was in full effect.  Reaganomics was raping inner cities.  Crack was on a rampage.  And Black Power was playing dead.  So Public Enemy had to do it.  They had to drop a second album that would slap out 14-carat asses back to the righteousness Malcolm X represented. Yo! Bum Rush The Show was an invigorating record, but it looks like child's play compared to its monumental sequel, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, a record that rewrote the rules of what hip-hop could do.  That's not to say the album is without precedent, since what's particularly ingenious about the album is how it reconfigures things that came before into a startling, fresh, modern sound.  Public Enemy used the template Run-D.M.C. created of a rap crew as a rock band, then brought in elements of free jazz, hard funk, even musique concrète, via their producing team, the Bomb Squad, creating a dense, ferocious sound unlike anything that came before.     

A lot of rap music at this time had been party oriented. PE had already kicked a few doors open with their debut Yo! Bumrush The Show which had more concious lyrics over beats with a harder edge.  BDP, the Jungle Brothers, Lakim Shabazz (from the Flavor Unit), the Poor Righteous Teachers were a few other groups who were also dropping more intelligent and spiritual types of rhymes.  But when It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back dropped it was clear to see who was top of the pile, and who was setting the agenda for things to come.

To begin with the intro to the album did something new and unheard of: It used excerpts from a PE tour of the UK... a US group acknowledging that there was a market for hiphop outside America?  At this time this was unheard of... and then the fun began, as the first joint “Bring The Noise” dropped.  Production throughout this album is perfect but “Bring The Noise” is an absolute gem.  Over a quick loop Chuck D spits fire at all those who seek to put hip-hop and PE down.  Everything just fits perfectly - Chuck’s verbal barrage, Flavor Flav coming in and out of the chorus urging Chuck to do some more damage, Terminator X doing a mad audio trick on the bridge with a pulled-backwards-guitar-sample.  Hip-hop heaven.

And then from one piece of dopeness to another – “Don’t Believe The Hype”.  A funky ass loop with a trumpet squeal on the end of each bar, and one of the simplest choruses you’ll ever hear.  People used to hearing Eminem and Big Pun drop mad multiples, may laugh at Chuck’s attempt to flip it, but I know back in the day any of you had this album rhymed word for word with the man, as he went off at racist instutions who “attack the black, because I know they lack exact, the cold facts, and still they try to xerox, the leader of the new school, uncool, never played the fool just made the rules."

From the ode to turntable greatness that is “Terminator X: To The Edge Of Panic” with the pulse racing Flash Gordon / Queen sample at the start, to PE’s manic attack on crack users and dealers (“Night Of The Living Baseheads”), almost every track on this could have been released as a single.  Surely everyone and their mother has heard “Rebel Without A Pause” by now.  Take a sample of James Brown’s “Funky Drummer”, mix in a little horn sample from an old Maseo record, and then after every verse shout “Terminator X!” over and over again, it sounds simple, if only making a classic song were so easy.  Other stand-out tracks here are numerous but I gotta mention my favourite jam. The repetitive striking of a minor piano chord in “Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos” makes for a menacing, delightful hip-hop experience.  The westcoast only fans should recognize the beat.

This monumental album has influenced many including the likes of Dead Prez and Immortal Technique and sets the standards for excellence for all polical and socially conscience inspired hip-hop albums.  What's amazing is how the words and music become intertwined, gaining strength from each other.  Though this music is certainly a representation of its time, it hasn't dated at all.  It set a standard that few could touch then, and even fewer have attempted to meet since.  It’s a no-brainer, this album slammed jams def enough to make a generation trade in their truck jewelry for stop watches on strings. 

50. Dr. Dre – 2001 (1999)
49. Outkast – Southernplayalisticaddicmuzik (1994)
48. Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt (1996)
47. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted: Dead Or Alive (1990)
46. Redman – Whut? Thee Album (1992)
45. De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991)
44. Fugees – The Score (1996)
43. The D.O.C. – No One Can Do It Better (1989)
42. Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)
41. Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)
40. Public Enemy – Fear Of A Black Planet (1990)
39. Ice Cube – Death Certificate (1992)
38. Gza/Genius - Liquid Swords (1995)
37. N.W.A – Efil4zaggin (1991)
36. Main Source – Breaking Atoms (1991)
35. Geto Boys – Grip It! On That Other Level (1989)
34. Brand Nubian – One For All (1990)
33. Scarface – The Diary (1994)
32. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Road To The Riches (1989)
31. Beastie Boys – Licensed To Ill (1986)
30. Ultramagnetic MC's – Critical Beatdown (1988)
29. LL Cool J – Radio (1985)
28. 2Pac – All Eyez On Me (1996)
27. Mobb Deep – The Infamous… (1995)
26. Eric B. & Rakim – Follow The Leader (1988)
25. Big Daddy Kane – It’s A Big Daddy (1989)
24. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – Mecca And The Soul Brother (1992)
23. Black Moon – Enta Da Stage (1993)
22. Outkast – Aquemini (1998)
21. A Tribe Called Quest – People’s Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm (1990)
20. Run-D.M.C. – Run-D.M.C. (1984)
19. Boogie Down Productions – By All Means Necessary (1988)
18. Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… (1995)
17. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising (1989)
16. Snoop Doggy Dogg – Doggystyle (1993)
15. Ice Cube – AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted (1990)
14. The Notorious B.I.G. – Ready To Die (1994)
13. Run-D.M.C. – Raising Hell (1986)
12. EPMD – Strictly Business (1988)
11. Big Daddy Kane – Long Live The Kane (1988)
10. A Tribe Called Quest – Midnight Marauders (1993)
09. Boogie Down Productions – Criminal Minded (1987)
08. N.W.A – Straight Outta Compton (1988)
07. Public Enemy – It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #7...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 07:24:49 PM »
I'd put it #1.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 07:26:48 PM »
^ but ur biased ;)

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 03:18:10 AM »
how come  to have so much negative karma
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 09:50:59 AM »
good spot for the album

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 05:10:27 PM »
good spot...props man....getting close to #1  8)
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Paul

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 05:22:37 PM »
funny feelin dogg food wont be in this list
even though it probably sold more than half this list

and probably not a dj quik album
funkyfreshintheflesh

We Fly High

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 05:26:07 PM »
funny feelin dogg food wont be in this list

yup u definitely arent going to see a dogg food album on this list.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 06:04:54 PM »

That shouldnt even matter though

Paul

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 07:03:14 PM »

well its the greatest not the guy who started the threads faviourites
great albums normally sell alot unless the 1s which are slept on or wernt promoted right
funkyfreshintheflesh

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 07:12:41 PM »

great albums normally sell alot unless the 1s which are slept on or wernt promoted right

great albums also make an impact
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

herpes

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 07:17:38 PM »

so your telling me nellys albums are great classic albums in rap.  Get rich and die trying is a groud breaking album b/c it sold 8 million

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 07:22:29 PM »
i keep saying the same in these topics, but then that goes for many of these w/c fans too, so:

1. Def no Quik, not "probably"

2. Quik is not very popular at all out of the w/c scene, outside the US 9/10 hiphop fans don´t know his name

3. C2K doesn´t appear to have a east coast bias. You people have to understand that the west coast had a few glorious years, but that hiphop is after all a NY thing. Therefore, the vast majority of hiphop albums that had a considerable impact on the whole scene were made there. "Enta Da Stage" or "By All Means Necessary" might not ring a bell for you, but trust me, each of them is more important to hiphop as a whole than Dogg Food or all of Quik´s albums combined. And it´s not like he left out the really influential ones, Cube´s, NWA´s, Dre´s, Snoop´s...

4. Sales do matter, but that´s one criteria. "GRODT" sold more than any album in this list, and "Willenium" did quite well too..."Dogg Food" did sell well, but it´s no Chronic. As for impact, it is just a good example of how to handle a style that had been popular since 1992, but there is nothing new about it at all, neither musically nor lyrically. And it did have flaws anyways

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 11:19:20 PM »
i keep saying the same in these topics, but then that goes for many of these w/c fans too, so:

1. Def no Quik, not "probably"

2. Quik is not very popular at all out of the w/c scene, outside the US 9/10 hiphop fans don´t know his name

3. C2K doesn´t appear to have a east coast bias. You people have to understand that the west coast had a few glorious years, but that hiphop is after all a NY thing. Therefore, the vast majority of hiphop albums that had a considerable impact on the whole scene were made there. "Enta Da Stage" or "By All Means Necessary" might not ring a bell for you, but trust me, each of them is more important to hiphop as a whole than Dogg Food or all of Quik´s albums combined. And it´s not like he left out the really influential ones, Cube´s, NWA´s, Dre´s, Snoop´s...

4. Sales do matter, but that´s one criteria. "GRODT" sold more than any album in this list, and "Willenium" did quite well too..."Dogg Food" did sell well, but it´s no Chronic. As for impact, it is just a good example of how to handle a style that had been popular since 1992, but there is nothing new about it at all, neither musically nor lyrically. And it did have flaws anyways

All Eyez On Me is the highest selling album on C2K's list, and it w/o doubt sold more then 50's album. AND it had more impact then every Shady/G-Unit/Aftermath release put together. The Score sold more than 50's album I believe also.

I do agree with you about sales and impact being two different things though. They go hand in hand, yet an album can sell a small amount yet make a huge impact. Illmatic is a great example. Yet an album like All Eyez On Me can sell millions, have a major impact and still retain respect among hip hop fans. This is why they should be separated IMO. Also, making an impact is certainly an important factor when judging how great an album is, but it shouldnt be the only factor.

Overall I think C2K is doing a fairly good job with his list even though I would probably have the order of the list VERY different. I cant be bothered to take the time to do it though, so more power to him.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 11:21:43 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Paul

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 05:28:53 AM »

so your telling me nellys albums are great classic albums in rap.  Get rich and die trying is a groud breaking album b/c it sold 8 million

suppose ure right
funkyfreshintheflesh