Author Topic: Explain in detail what makes Jay-Z great?  (Read 694 times)

infinite59

Explain in detail what makes Jay-Z great?
« on: November 27, 2001, 07:14:49 AM »
Yo, Dre has as good an ear for talent as anyone in the industry.  Maybe he was just kissing Jigga's ass cause Jigga wrote "Still Dre." But most likely he really does like Jay-Z's music.  I'm not looking for arguments.  I'm just looking for someone to explain in detail what there is to like about Jay-Z.  Because to me, he's too materialistic, he's a monotone, and he even admits he raps for the radio.  I got the upmost respect for Russel Simmons and Def Jam Records.  They are the best rap label ever, as far as selling records and marketing artists.  I think he was just an average rapper, and that Def-Jam made him a star.  I've tried to listen to his music, listened to his albums the whole way through, and I can't feel it.  Somebody explain it to me, because I'm not getting it.  peace

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Re: Explain in detail what makes Jay-Z great?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2001, 07:25:46 AM »
My explanation is it's futile to explain to someone who has obviously listened to a lot of Jay-Z and doesn't feel him
I would say - you don't like him, others do - move on - no big deal

Safe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

lee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2001, 07:28:55 AM »
I dunno .. i don't think hes so great .. i got the blueprint .. thats all i have from him apart from him appearing on other peoples stuff .. hes alright but nothin spectacular .. i thought it was weird that Dre picked him instead of say .. Snoop for one of the greatest MC's ..  ???

Hittman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2001, 07:34:39 AM »
I Think Dre Picked Jay-Z Over Snoop As Best MC Becuase Jay Is The Better Of The Two. In Mcing Anyway.

lee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2001, 07:38:59 AM »
Nah .. well maybe i can't judge coz i don't have more of his stuff ... but from what i've seen Snoop is ten times better than Jay Z ...

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2001, 07:46:48 AM »
Dre choosing Jigga, & many of the other MC's he picked over Snoop & others jus' shows to me that Dre is unbiased and open minded when it comes to his tastes. I have no problem with him choosing Jigga, I would rather of seen him choose Snoop & Pac but then this is his oppinion, as i've said b4.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Ro J. Simpson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Riddim Killa!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2001, 10:40:22 AM »
this is the funniest post ive ever seen
2i love you dont ever fucking question that, that's why we'll probably never get along, if i was better at finding the right words to say i wouldnt need to write these mothafuckin songs" / Atmosphere -'Dont ever fucking question that'

It's too much weight to be juggling
who do you picture when you think about struggling
Kids in the bed, no food stomach bubbilin
or Niggas in the E-class heavy drug smugglin / Xzibit - At the speed of life

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2001, 10:58:16 AM »
I don't get the jay-z thing myself... i cant compare it to anything or explain a reason i don't like him.

nothing on/in the blueprint moved me in any way (apart from wanting to skip forwards to see if then next song's any better).

NEW_MINORITY

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2001, 12:06:34 PM »

Yo, Dre has as good an ear for talent as anyone in the industry.  Maybe he was just kissing Jigga's ass cause Jigga wrote "Still Dre." But most likely he really does like Jay-Z's music.  I'm not looking for arguments.  I'm just looking for someone to explain in detail what there is to like about Jay-Z.  Because to me, he's too materialistic, he's a monotone, and he even admits he raps for the radio.  I got the upmost respect for Russel Simmons and Def Jam Records.  They are the best rap label ever, as far as selling records and marketing artists.  I think he was just an average rapper, and that Def-Jam made him a star.  I've tried to listen to his music, listened to his albums the whole way through, and I can't feel it.  Somebody explain it to me, because I'm not getting it.  peace

even though i hate gay-z, i like his first two albums which is very solid if not near classic......but ever since that, vol.2 came out, shit started to sound like "poppy" or whatever and it just got worse and worse on vol.3 and dynasty and when blueprint came out it was "a little" better than his last three but this album is nowhere near RD not alone vol.1 how people are saying it is....nonsense

Wizard Whitebeard

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2001, 12:09:46 PM »
Besides being one of the most technically sound rappers ever (i.e. his flow), Jay-Z is almost effortless in his use of punchlines, metaphors and double-meanings.  It's something most good MCs have to work hard to do but he's just a natural at it.  Almost every verse has multiple layers to it, sometimes taking repeated listens to get the whole thing.  If you've ever tried to write a rhyme you know how hard it is to do that.  I still hear new things that I never noticed before every time I listen to one of his albums.  The only other rapper who even compares to Jay in terms of talent is B.I.G. (who I consider the G.O.A.T.).  

Plus, Jay has the image to go with the top-gun status.  He knows he's the best and he flaunts it, but still no one can put him in his place.  He's also multi-dimensional; anyone who says that he's just another commercial rapper talkin' about ice, hoes and cars obviously hasn't listened to his deeper shit like "You Must Love Me" or "D-Evils."  Those are just a couple of examples, he has lots more introspective songs with deep meanings if you'll just listen.  And that's just his rap skills; the real reason he's on top is his business-savvy.  His career is almost flawless and he is what most rappers/artists wish they could be.  

I have friends who have the same problem understanding why he is considered #1 and most of them are people who prefer beats to lyrics.  I personally listen to rap for both beats and rhymes.  If you can't figure out why he's great by listening to his lps, I guess you listen for different reasons than I do.
"Doc rock a wife beater with me beatin' my wife's ass ironed on." - Redman

Alex_Wreck

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Wreccless Beats
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2001, 12:14:59 PM »
props^^

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2001, 12:33:24 PM »

His career is almost flawless

let's see
::)

vol. 2....
vol. 3...
dynasty....

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Doggystylin

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2001, 12:35:30 PM »

I don't get the jay-z thing myself... i cant compare it to anything or explain a reason i don't like him.

nothing on/in the blueprint moved me in any way (apart from wanting to skip forwards to see if then next song's any better).

LOL same here

.:N-Imy:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2001, 12:39:07 PM »
A lil explanation to your question:

Why do you not feel Jay-Z? Well most likely becos he is an average rapper, with and average flow and average lyrics. Listen to his lyrics....they are pretty shit....they similar to damn Fred Dursts lyrics and his shit is wack.....the only decent song I have heard Jay Z come strong in is "Takeover". He says he is the king but he ain't and I h8 when rappers claim they are the best when they aren't. I mean Canibus, LL Cool J, Pac, Biggie, Cube, Eminem, Snoop, Xzibit, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas etc. (2 being deceased..RIP) are to name a few who can rip the mic far better than Jay Z. I would be surprised if "That Nigga Jigga" could make it into the top 10 MC's past & present. Maybe Jay Z's first album was the only real decent shit he has produced...O mean every album that he brings out seems to get wacker yet sells more copies.. ???..Jay Z is nothin but an average rapper and he never will be anything but average. He talk about he the best and that Roc-A-Fella rules and shit but I didn't here him talk like that in the days of the Pac & Biggie era becos he wasn't wll known and all of a sudden a bit of popularity goes straight to his head and he the no.1 rapper at the moment. There are far too many above average (above Jigga) MC's gettin slept on but so sum it all up:

JIGGA IS AN AVERAGE RAPPER!
N-Imy - Incipient  {[link=http://forum.igangsta.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=fouroneone;action=display;num=1010196585]Click Here[/link] for details}

"I believe that everything you do bad comes back to you. So everything that I do that's bad I'm going to suffer for it. But in my heart, I believe what I'm doing is right. So I feel like I'm going to heaven" - Tupac {June 1996}

NEW_MINORITY

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2001, 12:50:19 PM »

A lil explanation to your question:

Why do you not feel Jay-Z? Well most likely becos he is an average rapper, with and average flow and average lyrics. Listen to his lyrics....they are pretty shit....they similar to damn Fred Dursts lyrics and his shit is wack.....the only decent song I have heard Jay Z come strong in is "Takeover". He says he is the king but he ain't and I h8 when rappers claim they are the best when they aren't. I mean Canibus, LL Cool J, Pac, Biggie, Cube, Eminem, Snoop, Xzibit, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas etc. (2 being deceased..RIP) are to name a few who can rip the mic far better than Jay Z. I would be surprised if "That Nigga Jigga" could make it into the top 10 MC's past & present. Maybe Jay Z's first album was the only real decent shit he has produced...O mean every album that he brings out seems to get wacker yet sells more copies.. ???..Jay Z is nothin but an average rapper and he never will be anything but average. He talk about he the best and that Roc-A-Fella rules and shit but I didn't here him talk like that in the days of the Pac & Biggie era becos he wasn't wll known and all of a sudden a bit of popularity goes straight to his head and he the no.1 rapper at the moment. There are far too many above average (above Jigga) MC's gettin slept on but so sum it all up:

JIGGA IS AN AVERAGE RAPPER!

very on point...can't wait till nas whoop his ass when stillmatic come out