Author Topic: Can we stop the jordan an kobe comparisons for now  (Read 1066 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re:Can we stop the jordan an kobe comparisons for now
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2004, 07:10:45 AM »
Kobe is one of the best players in the game right now, but I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret; THE GAME SUCKS RIGHT NOW.

All you got is a bunch of street ballers who think the high light reel is more important than the score board. If Kobe was playing in the 80s, and wasn't on Philly, Boston, or LA, he never would have even come close to taking a team to the finals. Shaq very well could have, and probably won, at least once.

Shaq and Kobe is 50/50, if Kobe leaves, will they win as much? No, but they can still go far in the play offs. If Shaq leaves I'd wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even make thwe play offs. I remember the beginning of the Season (I think last year), Shaq was out for the first few weeks. Kobe had a near a triple double every game, and shined like a star, but the team went 3 for 12.

Like Red Auerbach strongly believed, personal stats don't mean shit if you're not winning the game. Kobe can impress all he wants, but he's gotta win. When he finally is alone and he loses pitifully, I'll be back to celebrate my prophecy.

Look at the game now, they let zone defense in because the guys suck at defense so much now they figured they'd cut them a break. Can you imagine Zone defense with Bird's Celtics? They would have won 3 more championships. There is a reason the ratings get lower every year, it's because smart Basket Ball took a back seat to showmanship and egos. The quality just isn't as high as it used to be. Maybe in individual skills it's higher, but teams win, not players.

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2004, 12:04:07 PM »
lol@ how this thread has turned from a Jordan/Kobe comparison...to a Kobe/Pippen comparison. I guess its safe to say that Kobe is not on the same level as Mike. lol.

Oh, and as for the whole Pippen/Kobe argument...its kind of bogus. Pippen was obviously on another level then Marion. To me, he was almost more of a T-Mac kind of player. And yes, Jordan did make those around him better. But they were two VERY different teams (lakers and bulls). When u have a dominant center (shaq), it sets up the rest of the floor. Big men, set up outside players. Its been that way since basketball was invented. Obviously there are times where u have a Magic, or a Stockton where things flip flop. Neither the Lakers or the Bulls have a Magic or a Stockton...in the times we're talkin about. Pippen played on a team with a dominant 2 guard. Even though Jordan could set up other players, if u play basketball...u know its not exactly the same. Players swarm to Shaq...two, sometimes three at a time. Making things VERY simple for perimeter players. A simple pass out of the double team to a cutting player and a lay-up/dunk. A simple pass out of the double team, and a second pass to an outside shooter for an open three. Good bigmen, set the offense up. Look how great the Rockets looked during their championship runs. Just having Hakeem in the middle, made their outside shooters look like allstars...when half of u couldnt name any of them if u didnt look it up on ESPN lol. Jordan was a score first, pass second kind of player. At the 2 guard. Which means he controlled the ball a majority of the game. A lot of times more then the point. Its not as easy to double team a perimeter player as it is a big man. U cant always send 2, or three people out to the three point line to guard somebody lol. So he was getting a lot of strait up matchups...which meant, he was takin it to the rim...and scoring. So Pippen was basically a clean up man. When Jordan left, Pippen did play good. I mean, look at the team he had. Not exactly a team full of All Stars...and he lead them to a successfull season (even if it wasnt a championship). If u took Shaq off the Lakers right now...i dont think LA would have even made it to the second round. And thats with Payton and Malone on the team with him.

Im not sayin Pippen is better then Kobe at all. Im just sayin, u cant compare them regardless.

Better scorer=Kobe
Better defender=Pippen
Better rebounds=Pippen
Better clutch player=Kobe
Better floor leader=Toss up (remember Pippen played with MJ)
Better team player=Pippen, obviously

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2004, 01:54:42 PM »
Kobe is one of the best players in the game right now, but I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret; THE GAME SUCKS RIGHT NOW.

All you got is a bunch of street ballers who think the high light reel is more important than the score board. If Kobe was playing in the 80s, and wasn't on Philly, Boston, or LA, he never would have even come close to taking a team to the finals. Shaq very well could have, and probably won, at least once.

Shaq and Kobe is 50/50, if Kobe leaves, will they win as much? No, but they can still go far in the play offs. If Shaq leaves I'd wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even make thwe play offs. I remember the beginning of the Season (I think last year), Shaq was out for the first few weeks. Kobe had a near a triple double every game, and shined like a star, but the team went 3 for 12.

Like Red Auerbach strongly believed, personal stats don't mean shit if you're not winning the game. Kobe can impress all he wants, but he's gotta win. When he finally is alone and he loses pitifully, I'll be back to celebrate my prophecy.

Look at the game now, they let zone defense in because the guys suck at defense so much now they figured they'd cut them a break. Can you imagine Zone defense with Bird's Celtics? They would have won 3 more championships. There is a reason the ratings get lower every year, it's because smart Basket Ball took a back seat to showmanship and egos. The quality just isn't as high as it used to be. Maybe in individual skills it's higher, but teams win, not players.

First of all, playoffs and basketball are both one word...Second off, the Final's ratings have doubled from last season...Third of all, that crap you said about the Lakers going 3 for 12 with Kobe getting tripple doubles is a load of bullshit...Lakers have never lost when Kobe had a tripple double... ::)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2004, 01:59:50 PM »
lol@ how this thread has turned from a Jordan/Kobe comparison...to a Kobe/Pippen comparison. I guess its safe to say that Kobe is not on the same level as Mike. lol.

Oh, and as for the whole Pippen/Kobe argument...its kind of bogus. Pippen was obviously on another level then Marion. To me, he was almost more of a T-Mac kind of player. And yes, Jordan did make those around him better. But they were two VERY different teams (lakers and bulls). When u have a dominant center (shaq), it sets up the rest of the floor. Big men, set up outside players. Its been that way since basketball was invented. Obviously there are times where u have a Magic, or a Stockton where things flip flop. Neither the Lakers or the Bulls have a Magic or a Stockton...in the times we're talkin about. Pippen played on a team with a dominant 2 guard. Even though Jordan could set up other players, if u play basketball...u know its not exactly the same. Players swarm to Shaq...two, sometimes three at a time. Making things VERY simple for perimeter players. A simple pass out of the double team to a cutting player and a lay-up/dunk. A simple pass out of the double team, and a second pass to an outside shooter for an open three. Good bigmen, set the offense up. Look how great the Rockets looked during their championship runs. Just having Hakeem in the middle, made their outside shooters look like allstars...when half of u couldnt name any of them if u didnt look it up on ESPN lol. Jordan was a score first, pass second kind of player. At the 2 guard. Which means he controlled the ball a majority of the game. A lot of times more then the point. Its not as easy to double team a perimeter player as it is a big man. U cant always send 2, or three people out to the three point line to guard somebody lol. So he was getting a lot of strait up matchups...which meant, he was takin it to the rim...and scoring. So Pippen was basically a clean up man. When Jordan left, Pippen did play good. I mean, look at the team he had. Not exactly a team full of All Stars...and he lead them to a successfull season (even if it wasnt a championship). If u took Shaq off the Lakers right now...i dont think LA would have even made it to the second round. And thats with Payton and Malone on the team with him.

Im not sayin Pippen is better then Kobe at all. Im just sayin, u cant compare them regardless.

Better scorer=Kobe
Better defender=Pippen
Better rebounds=Pippen
Better clutch player=Kobe
Better floor leader=Toss up (remember Pippen played with MJ)
Better team player=Pippen, obviously

Pippen a better defender than Kobe? I don't think so...And of course he's gunna get more rebounds, he's a forward...Kobe is easily the better all around/complete player...It's safe to say that Kobe is closer to Jordan than he is to Pippen...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2004, 02:03:06 PM »
Anyone read the paper today? They were basically writing on how the pre '91 Jordan would be the most criticized person during the Eastern Conference Finals, because he would never pass the ball, but when he would make a good shot, he would be glorified as the best, and the writer in the end put "sounds familiar?"...

It's time to get off Jordans nuts, and realize there can one day be someone greater, and by the end of Kobe's career, he most likely will be the chosen one...PeACe
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 02:27:11 PM by Now_I_Know »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2004, 02:25:58 PM »
And Tone's talking that "dominant center" crap, and how Bulls didnt have one...But thats why the TRIANGLE OFFENSE was perfect for the Bulls...Before the triangle offense, Jordan would always get smoked by the Pistons...Basically, before Phil Jackson, Jordan would carry his team to the Eastern Conference Finals, and he would always have a tough time shooting againts Detroit, because they would SMASH Jordan...one night he had a 5/15 shooting, next night he scored 19 points...I wish you people were a little more educated on the game... ::)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2004, 06:29:29 PM »

First of all, playoffs and basketball are both one word...Second off, the Final's ratings have doubled from last season...Third of all, that crap you said about the Lakers going 3 for 12 with Kobe getting tripple doubles is a load of bullshit...Lakers have never lost when Kobe had a tripple double... ::)

Your paragraph lacks parallelism. It contains no periods yet it has complete sentences. This a forum not an English class, and besides I don't think playoffs or play offs are even actual words. Furthermore, when I said the game sucks I didn't mean TV ratings, even though they are nowhere near the ratings they got in the glory days, (who care what they were last year? THe game has sucked since the late '90s.). Finally, I didn't say he got triple doubles, I said he almost got triple doubles. This means double doubles with a third stat being 8 or 9. In closing I would like to say that the greatest player of all time is Bill Russel, 11 championships in 13 years, and the greatest young player of all time is Larry Bird, if you saw what he did with the Celts his first year in you'd understand. So lets put all this Jordan vs. Kobe stuff to rest. Time will tell. I just don't think Kobe will be seen as better, ever, but I could be wrong.

teecee

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2004, 07:22:32 PM »
I dont think Bill Russell is the greatest of all time, but he IS likely the best leader and the best winner basketball has ever seen.   Still, if MJ wouldn't have retired, bulls woulda won 8 in a row likely....

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2004, 07:35:56 PM »
And putting Bird over Magic is just off...

teecee

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2004, 09:03:27 PM »
The comparison is OFFICIALLY stopped as of tonight.....   peace

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2004, 09:41:52 PM »

Oh, I didn't know Jordan won championships in all of his seasons...Thanks for enlightening me...

Like I said, how do you not remember the pre '91 Jordan being shut down in the Eastern Conference Finals by this same team? I'll say it one more time, you guys only know Jordan by highlights, and it's quite obvious...

pappy

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2004, 10:15:45 PM »

Oh, I didn't know Jordan won championships in all of his seasons...Thanks for enlightening me...

Like I said, how do you not remember the pre '91 Jordan being shut down in the Eastern Conference Finals by this same team? I'll say it one more time, you guys only know Jordan by highlights, and it's quite obvious...

an nik how old were you in 89 when the pistions beat the bulls.... 3.  yea you remember

teecee

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2004, 10:44:02 PM »
Nik, just for curiosity, how old were you in 89?  I was 10 man, i WAS watching that shit, but i wasnt a bulls fan and i NEVER have been.  See, i am not a jordan groupie, i just recognize how incredible he was.  I dont give a fuck about highlights, in fact i always hated jordan as i used to like the LAKERS with magic.  BUt you have to recognize the greatest player ever....When Jordan was shut down by the pistons, his team was horrible.  It woulda been the equivalent of these lakers but without shaq!!!  Jordan was the only option that year, yet he did a lot more than kobe did in this series, and shot alot better percentage for the series overall, and also contributed in other areas.   Kobe didnt pass well, didnt rebound, and didnt even barely defend..........

And NIK, i thought alot more of Kobe b4 this series, enough to bet 50 bucks on the series because i thought Kobe was gonna rip it up and get MVP.  Instead, he did nothing, and looked quite mortal, which is something i NEVER saw in Jordan, especially not when he was 25.  When Jordan was 25, he was ATTACKING the basket, blocking shots, stealing the ball, REBOUNDING, and above all you could see it really pained him to lose.....i can't say the same for kobe....

Deaths Design

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2004, 11:11:15 PM »
Let me sum up this thread:

Jordan >>>>>>>> Kobe

No doubt in my mind about that

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2004, 12:54:33 AM »
Nik, just for curiosity, how old were you in 89?  I was 10 man, i WAS watching that shit, but i wasnt a bulls fan and i NEVER have been.  See, i am not a jordan groupie, i just recognize how incredible he was.  I dont give a fuck about highlights, in fact i always hated jordan as i used to like the LAKERS with magic.  BUt you have to recognize the greatest player ever....When Jordan was shut down by the pistons, his team was horrible.  It woulda been the equivalent of these lakers but without shaq!!!  Jordan was the only option that year, yet he did a lot more than kobe did in this series, and shot alot better percentage for the series overall, and also contributed in other areas.   Kobe didnt pass well, didnt rebound, and didnt even barely defend..........

And NIK, i thought alot more of Kobe b4 this series, enough to bet 50 bucks on the series because i thought Kobe was gonna rip it up and get MVP.  Instead, he did nothing, and looked quite mortal, which is something i NEVER saw in Jordan, especially not when he was 25.  When Jordan was 25, he was ATTACKING the basket, blocking shots, stealing the ball, REBOUNDING, and above all you could see it really pained him to lose.....i can't say the same for kobe....

You're wrong...When Jordan was 25, he was criticized for being a selfish ball-hog even more so than Kobe...And to say that losing doesn't pain Kobe is ridiculous...Kobe has HEART...Maybe he didn't play to his full potential, but look at all the pressure and stress he's had on him mentally...Kobe cried last year when Lakers got eliminated...Ye sou'raying he was never pained to lose?...Please man, stop making Jordan out to be a basketball God...By the end of Kobe's career, you will all eat your words...PeACe