Poll

The better album

The Chronic
17 (70.8%)
Illmatic
7 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: *Vote on the New Poll!!!*- The Chronic vs. Illmatic  (Read 920 times)

suckaa free

*Vote on the New Poll!!!*- The Chronic vs. Illmatic
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »
I think the Chronic was better, but didnt MTV put Illmatic higher than the Chronic when rating the best rap albums of all time?  Not sure... what you guys think?

Vote on the Poll!!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:16:13 PM by suckaa free »

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Chronic vs. Illmatic?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:15:16 PM »
I like the Chronic a lot more than Illmatic. That's just me though. The Chronic is just like a time machine, it paints a picture of that time period as clear as a canvas. Every time I listen to that album, I feel like I'm back in 1992, back in high school and I recall all that tension due to the riots that had just jumped off. That album truly is a work of art. Very few hip hop albums accomplish that.

In my opinion the Chronic is on another level musically and artistically than Illmatic. Illmatic is great, don't get me wrong, lyrically it was on point. I just feel Chronic more.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Diabolical

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »
I would put them both in my top ten.

suckaa free

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:31:30 PM »
I like the Chronic a lot more than Illmatic. That's just me though. The Chronic is just like a time machine, it paints a picture of that time period as clear as a canvas. Every time I listen to that album, I feel like I'm back in 1992, back in high school and I recall all that tension due to the riots that had just jumped off. That album truly is a work of art. Very few hip hop albums accomplish that.

In my opinion the Chronic is on another level musically and artistically than Illmatic. Illmatic is great, don't get me wrong, lyrically it was on point. I just feel Chronic more.

so just lyrically...is illmatic better? 

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 06:38:43 PM »

so just lyrically...is illmatic better? 

Illmatic is better lyrically, I don't think too many people would argue that. I think the Chronic is better in every other aspect though.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

BJV

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 06:45:52 PM »
The music sampled on The Chronic > The music sampled on Illmatic

The lyrical content on Illmatic > The lyrical content on The Chronic

Eihtball

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 07:22:55 PM »
"The Chronic" was far more influential, "Illmatic" is simply a better album.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »
Damn, its a tough call.  Lyrically, you gotta give it to Illmatic.  Production I'd give the edge to The Chronic.  Both really captured the essence of Cali & New York in that era.  But like RBXtra said, Chronic was more influential.  Both qualify as absolute must owns for any hip hop fan. 

I won't front though, I didn't even hear Illmatic until after IWW was released.  I bought the Chronic the week it came out (on tape).  I was obsessed with that album.  So just because I experienced it when it dropped, and had no preconceived notions at the time, I'd have to go with Chronic overall.

In the last year i've probably listened to Illmatic 10x more than the Chronic though.  I'm a flip floppin motherfucker.

Eihtball

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
I won't front though, I didn't even hear Illmatic until after IWW was released.  I bought the Chronic the week it came out (on tape).  I was obsessed with that album.

Yeah, it's kinda ironic to me that so many younger folks think "Illmatic" was instantly heralded as a hip-hop classic when it was first released.  The truth is that the hip-hop community at large pretty much ignored it when it first came out...it took 2 years just to go Gold.  I don't think I even listened to "Illmatic" in its entirety until about '98 or '99.  "The Chronic", on the other hand, absolutely shook up the industry when it dropped...pretty much the day that album came out, you could feel and hear all of hip-hop changing with it.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 08:51:44 PM »
THE CHRONIC EASY, SO WHAT NAS LYRICS ARE MORE IN DEPTH,THE CHRONIC HAS DOPE BEATS AND COOL LYRICS,MORE SHIT THE STREETS CAN RELATE TO,WHAT HAS AZ BECOME? LOOK WHAT SNOOP AND THE DOG POUND AND NATE DOGG HAS BECOME, IT'S EASY don't get me wrong illmatic is dope as fucc but it ain't better then the chronic when you judge it on all scales,lyrics thats it,the rest goes to the chronic therefore the chronic gets the duke yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Mixtape_Fan

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 09:12:52 PM »
chronic

We Fly High

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
i dunno.. chronic has its weak point for me. dont get me wrong its still an amazing album.. but illmatic holds the #1 spot for me. i can listen to that shit on straight repeat for hella days.

herpes

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 09:22:28 PM »
illmatic not even close

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »
this thread is a joke... first of all its on a westcoast board.... secondly Chronic Hands down! it will be bumped way more than illmatic will ever..

PLANT

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:28:02 PM »
I prefer The Chronic without a doubt

Illmatic is great lyrically, but the beats are kinda lacking IMO.....Ther overall sound of the album just isn't on the same level as The Chronic IMO