Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 51447 times)

teecee

I really wanted to love this album…and I do love parts of it.   The standout tracks (Diary, Talk About It, Gone, Animals, It’s All On Me, All in a Days Work, One Shot One Kill, For the Love…) have the makings of a classic album no doubt…but Dre’s rapping was just not right on most of these songs. 

Overall I’d give it a 7.5/10.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

I really wanted to love this album…and I do love parts of it.   The standout tracks (Diary, Talk About It, Gone, Animals, It’s All On Me, All in a Days Work, One Shot One Kill, For the Love…) have the makings of a classic album no doubt…but Dre’s rapping was just not right on most of these songs. 

Overall I’d give it a 7.5/10.

I like the production but I cant fully enjoy the album because of Dre's rapping on it

I don't know what it was but he was almost sounding like he was trying to imitate Kendricks style...and I'm not really a fan of Kendrick

Dwax-187

Production is on point and technically incredible.  Im getting a various artists kinda vibe from this album rather than a cohesive album feel.  Like Dr. Dre and friends present….

Even though his last 2 albums had tonnes of features it sounded more united. 

Its amazing to hear Still Dre and Next Episode drops at a Blue Jays stadium to this day.  This album didnt get the push commercially like the previous 2 but its technically amazing.

The following users thanked this post: Marco

teecee

It didn’t get the push, even from Dre himself (no video, single, etc). But what track would pop off at a baseball or basketball game?

dnjp4life

Can't believe it's not far off 10 years since Compton dropped  :o  Damn, time flies.

I still visit the album from time to time, but it's third in line behind The Chronic and Chronic 2001.  Like others have said, sonically pretty flawless, great intro which really hypes you up for the first proper track (Dr. Dre's album intros are always on point), great selection of guests which you would expect, a lot of interesting beats and switchups.

On the downside, Dre's voice for the most part is just too try-hard and difficult to appreciate, you can tell being heavily involved with Kendrick Lamar at the time had a negative impact on the way he was using his voice and flow on the mic, it really didn't sound like the Dre we know at all a lot of the time. 

Some of the beats were just a bit too complicated for their own good at times, a lot going on and a lot of loudness.  Compare them to the beats on 2001 which were extremely sparse in sound when stacked up against the ones on here, but I think work a lot better for someone like Dr. Dre.

Also, I like Anderson .Paak a lot but I think him and Dre don't go together particularly well on the same track, and he was probably on here a little too much.  But I get the reason why as Dre was trying to push new talent like he has always done on his other albums.

The following users thanked this post: Marco, Dwax-187

Dwax-187

It didn’t get the push, even from Dre himself (no video, single, etc). But what track would pop off at a baseball or basketball game?

I feel like Talking to my Diary would be played…

“When I open up my book I think about the world later,
No ink in the pen, no lines on paper…”

- Commentator: “And thats another home run for player X, put that in the books!”

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

teecee

Can't believe it's not far off 10 years since Compton dropped  :o  Damn, time flies.

I still visit the album from time to time, but it's third in line behind The Chronic and Chronic 2001.  Like others have said, sonically pretty flawless, great intro which really hypes you up for the first proper track (Dr. Dre's album intros are always on point), great selection of guests which you would expect, a lot of interesting beats and switchups.

On the downside, Dre's voice for the most part is just too try-hard and difficult to appreciate, you can tell being heavily involved with Kendrick Lamar at the time had a negative impact on the way he was using his voice and flow on the mic, it really didn't sound like the Dre we know at all a lot of the time. 

Some of the beats were just a bit too complicated for their own good at times, a lot going on and a lot of loudness.  Compare them to the beats on 2001 which were extremely sparse in sound when stacked up against the ones on here, but I think work a lot better for someone like Dr. Dre.

Also, I like Anderson .Paak a lot but I think him and Dre don't go together particularly well on the same track, and he was probably on here a little too much.  But I get the reason why as Dre was trying to push new talent like he has always done on his other albums.

Totally agree about some of the beats being far too busy and complicated.m, which was weird as his sound had been so sparse for about 17 years by that point.

I’m hoping there is a shift to something totally different or more in li e with his early Death Row production for Missionary (I know…unlikely, but the D.O.C. said this new shit si ding like mature DR stuff)

mtbsm

i hope so too - it's a shame when Drake AI tracks have a better west coast sound than Dre of late

HighEyeCue

I feel like Talking to my Diary would be played…

“When I open up my book I think about the world later,
No ink in the pen, no lines on paper…”

- Commentator: “And thats another home run for player X, put that in the books!”

probably my favorite Dre track since the 2001 album 8)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
All of you are under-rating this master-piece.  Even Sccit didn't say quite enough.  One of the best albums since 2010?  One of?  It is THE best album since 2010.

The album is a total masterpiece, flawless, 5 mic classic.  It's totally sequenced and mixed to perfection.  The into that leads into the opening track, the way Dre comes in on it with "I just bought California!"  It's one of those moments where you will forever remember where you were when you first heard a track.  I can remember exactly where in Kansas City I was driving my car the first time I heard Dre come in on COMPTON with "I Just Bought California!"

There is no filler like on Aftermath Presents and MMLP2 even had a few tracks I never listened to.  The standout cuts for me that I always went back to were the aforementioned opening track "Talk About It" and then "All On Me" and "All In A Day's Work".   Those are the best tracks, but not far behind are tracks like "Love of Money" and "Deep Waters".

I think it's all on par with Dre's gold standard and quality is the same as Chronic and 2001.  The only reason we can't regard it the same is because it didn't create a movement.  Like Chronic was a movement in music.  Because it was Dre's generation.  So it's impossible for him to do something like now when he is so far removed from the current youth generation that drives music and trends.   But he came as close as humanly possible.

Damn shame he never did a fuccin video or promotion.  I wonder if he made any bread off the album? 

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dwax-187

I think it's all on par with Dre's gold standard and quality is the same as Chronic and 2001.  The only reason we can't regard it the same is because it didn't create a movement.  Like Chronic was a movement in music.  Because it was Dre's generation.  So it's impossible for him to do something like now when he is so far removed from the current youth generation that drives music and trends.   But he came as close as humanly possible.

Damn shame he never did a fuccin video or promotion.  I wonder if he made any bread off the album?

Good points.  I think it would've gotten a lot more attention if they did one or 2 epic videos: Talkin to my Diary and Its All on Me.

I was also shocked Mc Ren didnt have a verse on this album.  He woulda fit nicely on Issues with Cube.

Young Old Head

Glad to see so many people agreeing on this album: u ain't gotta love it, but sonically this is a masterpiece.

Cash Money Blood Gang

The following users thanked this post: Dwax-187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Good points.  I think it would've gotten a lot more attention if they did one or 2 epic videos: Talkin to my Diary and Its All on Me.

I was also shocked Mc Ren didnt have a verse on this album.  He woulda fit nicely on Issues with Cube.

“All On Me” might be the best song but I thought “Talk About It” would’ve been the best video they could’ve done a video of Dre overlooking the city and owning it

As for a song to play at a sports game—“Another Day in Compton” Game track on there that they played in the movie would sound good at stadiums  🏟️  it’s got that warrior trumpet 🎺 sound and the whistle (the lyrics don’t really fit though but they could play the beat) or maybe “Day’s Work”

Sccit

All of you are under-rating this master-piece.  Even Sccit didn't say quite enough.  One of the best albums since 2010?  One of?  It is THE best album since 2010.

The album is a total masterpiece, flawless, 5 mic classic.  It's totally sequenced and mixed to perfection.  The into that leads into the opening track, the way Dre comes in on it with "I just bought California!"  It's one of those moments where you will forever remember where you were when you first heard a track.  I can remember exactly where in Kansas City I was driving my car the first time I heard Dre come in on COMPTON with "I Just Bought California!"

There is no filler like on Aftermath Presents and MMLP2 even had a few tracks I never listened to.  The standout cuts for me that I always went back to were the aforementioned opening track "Talk About It" and then "All On Me" and "All In A Day's Work".   Those are the best tracks, but not far behind are tracks like "Love of Money" and "Deep Waters".

i don’t think calling it a classic is underappreciating it

it’s on par wit dre’s gold standard but 2001 and the chronic were both still unequivocally better in numerous facets

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i don’t think calling it a classic is underappreciating it

it’s on par wit dre’s gold standard but 2001 and the chronic were both still unequivocally better in numerous facets

yes, they were better but only because it was Dre's generation.  So he was creating a movement and speaking on shit that was highly relevent and trendsetting to the whole world and people are still following those trends.